Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Neal Cassady Drops Dead

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I'm Not A Man

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Istanbul

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Earth Is The Loneliest Planet

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Staircase At The University

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • The Bullfighter Dies

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kiss Me A Lot

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Smiler With Knife

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Mountjoy

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Oboe Concerto

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
Well, I'm done with my first initial listen...

I didn't expect them to rely so heavily on the Spanish influence throughout the album, but I think it helps to make the whole thing seem a good deal more cohesive. It's a weird mix of those Spanish influences and really synthetic instrumentation and dense, reverby production that seems to be willfully 80's-sounding. I did not intend to write such a long spiel on so much of the album, but I find myself enjoying a lot of these songs enough to think they deserve a bit of exposition. I originally wrote about more of the songs before deciding I'd babbled too much already. These are just my top picks for discussion, though not necessarily my favorites so far.

"I'm Not a Man"... What an odd song. I don't know how I feel about it yet. While I can really identify with the concept, some of the lyrics and musical transitions are pretty clumsy and well below Morrissey's standards. I will say that I really like the weird melo-industrial screaming freakout near the end. Seems weird for Morrissey, but it suits my (lack of) musical taste just fine, with or without him.

"Istanbul"... It's already been discussed in plenty of positive terms. IDK if there's anything I can add that hasn't already been said. It should go without saying that I like it alot.

"Staircase at the University" strikes me as being a total pastiche of early 90's Morrissey up until the horns come in. There's really no better way I know how to describe it, but that's just fine by me. As some of you probably know, I am a big fan of his early 90's output. I love the woodwind sounds.

"Bullfighter..." has a lot in common with "Staircase". I really like this song. It seems to me like the perfect mixture of everything I loved about Kill Uncle and ROTT. I've been getting the chorus stuck in my head off and on since I first heard it.

"Oboe Concerto"... Oh, man! This is great. Tuneful but emotional. A total bummer in the best way. Interesting soundscape, and that oboe solo makes me feel like I'm listening to the Cheers closing theme (as cathartic an experience as any sitcom theme ever could be).

"Julie in the Weeds" continues the strange textural juxtaposition of acoustic instrumentation and cold, blown-out VSTi swishes and wobbles... Very "trippy" in a way that induces a feeling more akin to dream-like wonderment than of being grotesquely, decadently "chill". I'm willing to even say this has a late-era Cocteau Twins vibe.

Now for the mediocre-to-poor songs...
"Neal Cassidy Drops Dead". Those crunchy guitars do nothing for me. They just seem so bland and tuneless and... LOUD! I like plenty of "crunchy", guitar-driven Moz tunes, but this isn't one of them.

"WPINOYB". Ham-fisted-as-f*** lyrics bring this song way, way down. I am very happy to say I've liked everything else (except maybe NCDD) much better. It has its moments, but it's about a 70/30 split between garbage and gold.

I have to say--with quite a level head--that I have a very good first impression of this album. For the time being, I think I have to go with "Istanbul" as my favorite, but I've had a lot more time to let it sink in, so that might change after I've heard the other songs some more. Right now, I'd say "Staircase" is a close second.

Last edited:
listened to it once and Staircase was amazing.

this is great. well done morrissey.

I'm actually quite surprised over the popularity of 'staircase' it's not really grabbing me yet. But there's still time.

I am still liking Art Hounds quite a bit, but I was somewhat taken aback at first at the differences between the studio version and the one live version we had heard.

World Peace, Istanbul, Neal Cassidy Drops Dead, Mountjoy, and Oboe Concerto are definitely amongst my top picks after my first listen.

This album is amazing. It will go down as a classic. Mark. Me. Words. I am normally very difficult to win over - this album has won me over. It's nice to see Morrissey back to form.
This music is a plethora of different sounds and feels and eras and it just leaves you feeling as if you just went through so many time zones and decades from the 60' till the present and i'm sure beyond..feeling jovial.

p.s. the production is the best it's been since Maladjusted..

I won't say too much other than that I am in love with the album already after my 3rd listen. We have so much quality here, the B-Sides/Deluxe extras are fantastic as well.

Of the songs that made it onto the album, the ones that have really stuck with me as early favourites are Neal Cassady Drops Dead, Istanbul, Smiler With Knife and Oboe Concerto. I'll vote for Smiler right now. That's not to say I think any less of the others. I would actually place World Peace as the weakest song and I was so in love with that when it was first released, so think of how smitten I am right now :)

Oh, Staircase At The University is easily the funniest Morrissey song yet.

One Of Our Own is unbelievable.

"Give me the gun/I love you"

Last edited:
I ultimately went with "Neal Cassady Drops Dead", but it really is a tie between that, "I'm Not A Man" and "Kiss Me A Lot".

While I've come around to 'World Peace Is None of Your Business' as the title, I would have LOVED it if he'd went with 'I'm Not a Man' as the title instead.

Stuck at work and really looking forward to listening to this album.

After reading everyone's reviews this is going to be the longest 2 hours of my life.

This is the most excited i've been about a moz release since the first time I heard Vauxhall and I.

don't know who posted the link, but thanks :)

OK, 8 songs in and I have given 7 a rating of 5 stars :eek:
a few of them I first put 4 stars, usually because the lyrics just did not grab me :straightface:
but then the music was just so good that I put them at 5 :guitar:
I just gotta say, that whoever did the music on this album really picked things up a notch from the last couple of albums :thumb:
so yeah, I am finally converted :o

Someone else said it in another thread but it really is an album, album, if you know what I mean.

I think that 'Kiss me Alot' could have been a single but other than that I think they made the right choices with the releases they went for. It's not a record that bursts with singles but with long tracks that compliment one another.

If the material for the second album is as good as what's showcased here then we're in for a treat. (Assuming the 2nd album goes ahead amid all the Harvest confusion.)

fantastico, thats really really a great album!
staircase and arthounds being my favorites, but the slow ones, reminding me of early moz, are fantastic stuff too,
I also like the keyboard, it really adds, and its been a while since this happened,
also the music doesnt distract me, it really is solid/very good this time, its different to the last three albums....

fantastico!

edit: damn, the outro of this version of art-hounds gives me the chills, thats the best Ive heard in 10 years, aaarh, sorry, Im a bit over the top now, will buy that album 3 times!

edit2: mountjoy....... what the.... mountjoy..... thats even better than anything else here.... aaah im in love again, how is this possible

Last edited:
this was a nearly impossible choice for me since I gave 11 of the 12 1st songs a 5 rating :confused:
but I chose World Peace Is None of Your Business seeing it now in the context of the whole album
I see I am so far alone in this, but for me it really sets up much of what I love about the album as a whole
still, I could make a case for many of the other songs, only time will tell which I will come to endure within me :blushing:

Kiss Me A Lot is my favorite because it was obviously written about me. Except my Mammy doesn't have a back yard. ;)

Back
Top Bottom