Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Neal Cassady Drops Dead

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I'm Not A Man

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Istanbul

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Earth Is The Loneliest Planet

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Staircase At The University

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • The Bullfighter Dies

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kiss Me A Lot

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Smiler With Knife

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Mountjoy

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Oboe Concerto

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
Well I've only got my iphone and iPad and on my iPad it says
I'm only allowed one download - I haven't downloaded it though

Oh well, maybe it wasn't meant to be tonight

Happy for all you lucky ones that have had a listen

Listening now.....

I won’t vote til I listen a couple times, but one thing I’m noticing already 5 tracks in (even though I’ve already heard 3 of those 5) is that the production is excellent.

I'm going to have to wait. With my luck I'll stumble onto a virus trying to download this, or be the one person on the face of the lonliest planet to get sued for downloading it. Also, I won't go to Best Buy to buy it, I can't stand that place.

I'm going to have to wait. With my luck I'll stumble onto a virus trying to download this, or be the one person on the face of the lonliest planet to get sued for downloading it. Also, I won't go to Best Buy to buy it, I can't stand that place.

Hopefully you have a mom and pop type record shop near you and can support them? :)

I still have to say it's Istanbul. The other songs are great and wonderful and after another few listens maybe I'll change my mind. But the one song I really stopped what I was doing and listened when it came on again was Istanbul.

Just finished the album proper (onto the bonus tracks now)

So far the standouts that weren’t released yet are: Mountjoy, Oboe Concerto, Staircase at the University, Kiss Me A Lot....jeez. I can definitely see this album growing on me even more so. I have a feeling that a good amount of people will not be into it on first listen but then the more they hear it, the more they’ll enjoy.

It's a shame it escaped before it "dropped" as the kids say, but that's life. The whole impact of a recording is weakened by leaks, but it's nobody's fault but Harvest and those within Morrissey's camp who should know better by now.

I'd have loved to see Harvest make the effort and take up some of the ideas that were brainstormed, like launch parties in record shops at midnight, old school style, with hints and rumours of Morrissey turning up. Actually, some wag suggested he did turn up at various places during the release night and take #Selfies outside each shop before scarpering off. But it's not to be as he's.......

I hope there's a will at Harvest to do the Plant/Krauss 'Raising Sand' long-haul effort on this project, mixing word of mouth with some smart marketing moves, but I doubt it after all that's unfolded. It's such a wonderful collection of songs and even AIMMN, KAL & AIMMN will sound great with the new soundscape come Record Store Day 2015. Or it will be nixed if the album isn't a huge success. I'd still love a Joe Chiccarelli Director's Cut of salient tracks from the past solo catalogue alongside a punk-rockabilly 24 hour Sun Sessions version of Kill Uncle, but that's probably impossible with the rights/royalty stuff. All that past stuff is just a business now, after all, hardly the rebel Outsider music of the new tranche of songs. Of course, they're business as well, being on Harvest, but it's still an enormous relief to watch Morrissey's Mojo return, despite the health issues of late.

One imagines a barrage of UK/Irish dates will follow to re-establish match fitness for the touring slog around the world next year. Whoever thought traipsing around America was the best way to launch this needs their head examined, though I guess tour finances dictated the straw that broke the camel's back stuff.

So, enjoy it as and when you hear it. I admire those who are waiting till the official release date. It's been leaking around the cognoscenti West London dinner party set for a while now and it's a real sign of Harvest not being on top of things. Or sabotage within the ranks. Oh, well. Anger is not a policy and "we are where we are". I'm really looking forward to seeing this set of songs gradually osmose into popular consciousness and not just in the usual suspect countries of the USuk. I really think this could launch Morrissey into global stardom if it's handled well. Sadly, that's maybe optimistic.

Wishing "Morrissey" every possible good luck as he plans the next episode in this *fascinating* autumnal musical adventure.

With every good wish
Yours, in Jubilo

"BrummieBoy"

The bit after the selfie part, "as he is". Are you implying something?

Have to say I agree with that French writer (can't be bothered to look it up) that this is his best album since Vauxhall and I. Blows You are the Quarry away. And certainly the two that followed.

So much depends on the production. Were they really writing songs this good on Years of Refusal? Possibly. But they didn't come across that way. God bless Jerry Finn, but the production on that album was terrible.

Also, too: Morrissey seems to have gotten the message from his fans: stop shouting. You have a lovely singing voice. And he sings beautifully on this album. Actual melodies! You might be okay by yourself, but I'm not okay listening to you howl about it.

After three listens, favorites are: Neal, I'm Not a Man, Staircase, Mountjoy, Drag the River, Julie in the Weeds, Art Hounds. A fantastic album.

Couple of listens. A solid 3.5 to 4 out of 5, I'd say, I think the reviews so far have got it about right. What I like is (a) The production - understated, not as #in yer face# as Refusal. (b) The variety of pace and styles is refreshing and (c) it's not trying too hard. Favourite song - it may change, but I do like Kiss Me Alot. And I agree with the comments of Old Mathew - the singing is far, far better than on previous albums. One little gripe - there's still several songs where they do that "F to E7" drop at the end of quite a few lines, but it's a minor point.

P.

Last edited:
My god, there's just so much to take in. I've only listened to the whole album through 3 or 4 times but everytime I listen I discover something new that I love. There so much going on in the songs to pick any favourites right now but I will say that Kiss me a lot should have been one of the singles. It's one of the most radio friendly songs he's ever done.

I'm going back for another listen. :D

Last edited:
I'm really surprised to see Mountjoy doing so well in the poll. It seems ( to me , of course) such an uninteresting folk-song , complete with folk-style over-earnestness.

The bit after the selfie part, "as he is". Are you implying something?

You do realize he has you on "ignore", right?

The obvious sarcasm in much of that post aside- you really think Morrissey would show up to take selfies with fans?- I think he's just implying what we all know...that Morrissey is still ill, either mentally, physically, or both.

A point about this site. It seems to me that the buzz around the album and individual songs is greater than I can remember for other albums released during the lifetime of this site. If I were Harvest or Morrissey I would be grateful for the discourse. Sure, we have resident loons, but I always find that when there's music to talk about, it trumps everything else.

P.

A point about this site. It seems to me that the buzz around the album and individual songs is greater than I can remember for other albums released during the lifetime of this site. If I were Harvest or Morrissey I would be grateful for the discourse. Sure, we have resident loons, but I always find that when there's music to talk about, it trumps everything else.

P.

I agree completely. It's not always the most pleasant of places to be but If you want the very latest news and discussion this is definitely the place to be.

Last edited:
"kiss me a lot" is stuck in my head and ringing in my ears! i'm baffled why this wasn't the lead single. i'm assuming it will be released as a single at some point and really hope that harvest give it the push it deserves. song of the summer for me.

i also really really really like '"neal cassady drops dead". i was expecting something dreadful from the reviews but i love the music and morrissey's delivery on this track.

overall, i'm very pleasantly surprised with the album as it is far better than what i was anticipating. the production is sterling and such an improvement on the last 3 albums.

Staircase so far for me. Amazing!
I must say I see the 'bonustracks' as an integral part of the album. Maybe a seperate poll for them?
They are superb! Even Scandinavia sounds superb, and I didn't like it musch live.

Back
Top Bottom