Favorite Scott Walker song?

SW6withme

I was just thinking about how many nice Scott Walker songs there are and thought I could check here with you...
Some of my favorites are Mathilde, Funeral tango, Jackie.
Any suggestions?

Actually I love all songs on Scott -Scott 4, my choice of the day are:

It's Rainging Today
Copenhagen
Angel of Ashes
Rhymes of Goodbye
Stomy
etc.

Queerly enough, when I went for my run today the first song that came on my iPod of the 8,500 odd was "Jackie"...
Or maybe not so queer.

Queerly enough, when I went for my run today the first song that came on my iPod of the 8,500 odd was "Jackie"...
Or maybe not so queer.

What are you standing in front of there? And prehaps more importantly, what are you listening to?

Peter

What are you standing in front of there? And prehaps more importantly, what are you listening to?

Peter

An over-priced special edition compilation that I ordered for considerably less off t'internet some weeks ago, but still haven't received:mad:

€28??? I should coco.

P.S. Has Virgin been renamed Zavvi on the mainland too?

If You Go Away always makes me cry...(just like Brel's original Ne Me Quitte Pas) :tears:

An over-priced special edition compilation that I ordered for considerably less off t'internet some weeks ago, but still haven't received:mad:

€28??? I should coco.

P.S. Has Virgin been renamed Zavvi on the mainland too?

Yes Vigin is Zavvi. The Virgin brand are going after big money, the proper infrastructure;- Rail, Communications, Airlines etc

I went on a protest last night. They are trying to move into running GP surgeries in the UK, along the lines of running a Gym. For some reason the public over here see Branson as the acceptable face of capitalism, so will lap all this up, like idiots. I am seriously concerned.

Back to the subject in hand. It seems that it's good old Brel's numbers that come out favourites here! It's difficult for me to pick one, knowing so many versions of these songs. But I do like the sense of urgency in the arrangement of "Jacky".

Big Louise
Montague Terrace (In Blue)
Always Coming Back To You
The Electrician
Nite Flights
It's Raining Today
The Cockfighter
Farmer In The City
The Girls From The Streets
On Your Own Again

Which of course is just like the Jacques Brel original. The whole of Scott Walker sings Jacques Brel is amazing.

Peter

We have a DAB/CD player fixed to the wall in our kitchen, and that album is pretty much always in it. I've noticed that when "Jacky" is on, it has the same effect as the "Ready, Steady, Cook" music. I speed up! I think it's the intro on Walkers version, it hits the ground running. Brel's is quite different in that respect.

Silly story, but that's me.

Stephen

Can't decide to be honest, have listened to him far to little.

& the the thread poster, nice location:)

"Thanks For Chicago, Mr. James" is one of my favorites, for some reason...the Bridge, The Girls from the Street, Seventh Seal, Angelica, Such a Small Love, The Old Man's Back Again, The World's Strongest Man...the list goes on.
Sadly, unlike Have-a-Go and some others posting here, his latter work is beyond me. I've bought it all, from the cheesy contract fulfilling shit in the 70s to the later Tilt and The Drift.
Eagerly awaiting 30th Century Man here in the States.

I love all of Scott4 & Jackie but far & above for me, Montague Terrace In Blue, The Worlds Strongest Man, Get Behind Me but above all the others, 'The Old Man's Back Again'. Best bassline ever (joint best,the other being Son Of A Preacher Man)

I grew up with The Walkers Bros.
and became a Scott fan from then. His solo albums were a joy. Fabulous orchestrations, songs with the bonus of him introducing my generation of kids to J.Brel
But Scott's latest stuff is beyond me.

Scott Walker.
Morressey/The Smiths
P.J.Proby.

Would be the most played artists in my record collection.

:guitar:

Back
Top Bottom