Favorite opening track?

Favorite opening track?

• Total voters
Went for Maladjusted.

Now My Heart Is Full is my favourite song from those, but I think Maladjusted is better placed as an opener.

Headmaster Ritual. It's a stunner. Marr had it in his head for at least two years before it was recorded. The use of unconventional tuning adds to its genius.

Peter

America Is Not The World

Love that song

I went with "You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side". I first heard this record right after Kill Uncle, and after listening to that one the first chord of "Someone" is such an eye-opener. It's a fantastic opening track.

Queen is dead. Love that song.

While Alsatian Cousin is my favourite song, I think Maladjusted is my favourite opening track as it really sets the mood for the rest of the album. I love the story it tells and Morrissey's vocals are great, esp, 'There's nothing wrong with me' falsetto part.

"The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils" for me. No doubt.

I can remember when I first heard it many many moons ago it almost felt like a kick in the face. It's an overwhelmingly powerful epic track defining the mood for the whole album.

Actually, I find "Southpaw Grammar" to be his most exciting album so far. It's difficult and unwieldy, but there's lots to discover on it.

"The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils" for me. No doubt.

I can remember when I first heard it many many moons ago it almost felt like a kick in the face. It's an overwhelmingly powerful epic track defining the mood for the whole album.

Actually, I find "Southpaw Grammar" to be his most exciting album so far. It's difficult and unwieldy, but there's lots to discover on it.

you rockabilly germans
granted its a great 1st track
but better than 'Now My Heart Is Full' as an album opener?
&
i was just judging Morrissey albums not the Smiths...

The Headmaster Ritual is an astonishing track from both Marr's and Morrissey's side, especially the chorus.

even though I'd sell my house to listen to Now my heart is full Live i chose The headmaster ritual. such a perfect song!

So many greats.
My top 10:

1) The Headmaster Ritual
2) Now My Heart is Full
3) A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours
4) Reel Around the Fountain
5) Alsatian Cousin
6) The Queen is Dead
7) Maladjusted
8) The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils
9) You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side
10) I Will See You in Far-off Places

While Alsatian Cousin is my favourite song, I think Maladjusted is my favourite opening track as it really sets the mood for the rest of the album. I love the story it tells and Morrissey's vocals are great, esp, 'There's nothing wrong with me' falsetto part.

It's really hard to decide between:

Maladjusted
A Rush and a Push and The Land Is Ours
Reel Around The Fountain
Alsatian Cousin
You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side

but I've been really obsessed with Maladjusted lately... the ending is especially strong... I like the way he seems to sing it in two different voices (even literally): 'maladjusted, maladjusted, never to be trusted, oh, never to be trusted - there's nothing wrong with you, there's nothing wrong with you'

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom