Favorite Lines or Passages from "Autobiography"

Thanks! :)

Is your user name in reference to Led Zeppelin? if so, what is your fave track(s)?

YES!! yes it is

The only thing I like more than our friend is this band - they are my alpha and omega - If I had to choose it would be since ive been loving you or thats the way or the rover or ten years gone. That is a hard call...

love everything about them!!

The part when he said his Nannie was carrying the cat "blackie" in a brown paper bag onto the bus. I laughed out loud.

Also

"I clamber back to Harley Street to complain to the doctor who prescribed me this hideous mood pill, but I am told he is dead, and I am hardly surprised."

On the idea of having sex with the local girls p76:

"What had girls to offer? Nothing but a mangled jungle of tangled hair presented as the jackpot payoff. Honeypots sprawled like open graves, their owners doing nothing at all other than letting you. The call of duty is yours - to turn on and get off; to hit the spot and know the ropes; to please and be pleased; as the owners of such Bermuda triangles do.... nothing."

Re: Favorite Lines or Passages from "Autobiography"

On the idea of having sex with the local girls p76:

"What had girls to offer? Nothing but a mangled jungle of tangled hair presented as the jackpot payoff. Honeypots sprawled like open graves, their owners doing nothing at all other than letting you. The call of duty is yours - to turn on and get off; to hit the spot and know the ropes; to please and be pleased; as the owners of such Bermuda triangles do.... nothing."

Back then girls were supposed to be passive--not sexually assertive. Or to take the lead, or to even participate really. My how things have changed for the better.

- - - Updated - - -

YES!! yes it is

The only thing I like more than our friend is this band - they are my alpha and omega - If I had to choose it would be since ive been loving you or thats the way or the rover or ten years gone. That is a hard call...

love everything about them!!

Great songs. Love Thank You and so many others as well. Led Zeppelin are/were fantastic.

"In Denver city center a plump girl bangs on the window of the car shouting: 'Ooh, I always wanted to meet you!' which strikes me as odd since we have only existed for three years - 'always' surely not amounting to that much time at all. Johnny sits back and shouts: 'Ta'ra, fatty' as the car pulls away. I am shocked, but I then fold into convulsive laughter."

"The video crew visibly sink as Siouxsie outlines her suggestion for the video-a treatment which sees me walking through a park only for Siouxsie to emerge throwing stones at me, to which I evidently accept.

This had me rolling....having a video wear the singer is being stoned to death....at least it is original?

"In Denver city center a plump girl bangs on the window of the car shouting: 'Ooh, I always wanted to meet you!' which strikes me as odd since we have only existed for three years - 'always' surely not amounting to that much time at all. Johnny sits back and shouts: 'Ta'ra, fatty' as the car pulls away. I am shocked, but I then fold into convulsive laughter."

Love this quote, makes Moz seem more human than ever, although harsh, we would probably all laugh in a situation like this one. Shows the relationship between him and Johnny.

This left me sad and gave me the chills:

"It is Hazel Bowden who stays close to Jon in the fading days of friendship, long after Jon and I find we have less to say to each other. There is a natural phasing out without a falling out, and it is Hazel whose tells me that Jon has been killed in a horrific motorway crash. Driving alone to Birmingham, Jon is crushed by a tailing juggernaut that fails to brake. The story makes the national television news, and, as it does, this period of my life loses itself to the lap of memory. I stand at Jon's grave at Moston cemetery and I see that his name is spelled with an 'h', and that both of his parents are encased on top or beneath him. It is too much to bear, and in this dank November air I hear voices of people who are not there."

"It is Hazel Bowden who stays close to Jon in the fading days of friendship, long after Jon and I find we have less to say to each other. There is a natural phasing out without a falling out, and it is Hazel whose tells me that Jon has been killed in a horrific motorway crash. Driving alone to Birmingham, Jon is crushed by a tailing juggernaut that fails to brake. The story makes the national television news, and, as it does, this period of my life loses itself to the lap of memory. I stand at Jon's grave at Moston cemetery and I see that his name is spelled with an 'h', and that both of his parents are encased on top or beneath him. It is too much to bear, and in this dank November air I hear voices of people who are not there."

What year is this?

This isn't my fave line or passage. I want to ask if anyone else found this statement to be anti-Semitic? I'm not trying to accuse Moz of racism or to stir up trouble. But his comment jumped out from the page at me. This has not been mentioned anywhere else, that I am aware.

It is on page 208.

"This is a great single and if you don’t make this statement then we’re all in a mess and you’ll never be trusted on radio again,’ says Pat – her lipstick under no doubts whatsoever. I am already formulating semi-acceptable dribble in my head, wondering how I can squeeze in the term ‘conscious borrowing’ in an effort to ease the entire nation and rid the world forevermore of emphysema. I feel slightly queasy. I have been done over by an aggressive tribe from Palestine and I don’t know what to do."

The reason this is problematic is because both Geoff Travis and Pat Bellis (Jo Novak) are Jewish. And of course Jews often self-describe as being the tribe. And well, we know Israel was originally called Palestine. But it would seem out of character. Moz was, after all, given the key to Tel Aviv. If it isn't anti-Semitic, then what is it? What else could it mean?

Last edited:
^^^ Just read on a guy's blog that he found this comment to be anti-Semitic. It is up ahead on page 268.

‘But I’m grieving,’ I reply, and wherever I turn the trap widens. It was true that the art of getting money and acknowledging no superior was the rock on which the black hands of Handsoff had built his empire, and I was gooey putty against his Israelites. His was a mediocre way to spend a life, but it provided yachts a-plenty for his big-eyed militia.

Think Morrissey is just oblivious to how these comments might be perceived by Jews and non-Jews alike?

Last edited:

This one made me want to cry, he has such a way with words.

^^^ Just read on a guy's blog that he found this comment to be antisemitic. It is up ahead on page 268.

‘But I’m grieving,’ I reply, and wherever I turn the trap widens. It was true that the art of getting money and acknowledging no superior was the rock on which the black hands of Handsoff had built his empire, and I was gooey putty against his Israelites. His was a mediocre way to spend a life, but it provided yachts a-plenty for his big-eyed militia.

Think Morrissey is just oblivious to how these comments might be perceived by Jews and non-Jews alike?

So, the "eyes wide open" award goes to Reality Bites. We've been watching, in shock, at the failure of most to actually read the text.

Whether he's oblivious or not, whether he's trolling or not, whether this relates to his 'ironic' fax, allegedly sent to a Jewish band member: there's more like this one egregious cognitive car-crash.

Those wretched Boomer sycophants in the media, who are defending their 30 year investment in Morrissey as if it were their pension fund, are going to have egg on their faces when people who have actually read the book several times begin to comment. People like me.

This isn't the only instance of breathtaking incompetence and linguisitic incontinence, insensitivity and haughty arrogance. I will publish a full "Review" of "Autobiography" in due course, when my interns have completed an index, but I strongly advise anyone lauding it to actually read it, rather than skim it, before giving any further plaudits. There's a LOT of reputations going to end up in the dustbin when people realise what's actually between the covers of a book they praised in haste and will repent doing so at their leisure. Of course, that's my/our job and we'll deliver our judgement and sentence in due course, but there's no urgency. It's fun to watch so many walk the plank...Trust me: Morrissey is in serious trouble. It's sad to think there is no one in his life who could intervene and prevent this tragedy. But it's published. There's no going back now. What a way to end it all!

"In 2012, Morrisey was awarded the Keys to the City of Tel-Aviv"
[back cover blurb to Morrissey "Autobiography" Published by Penguin Classics (sic) ]

2014 World Tour:

Lima Beijing Oslo Toronto Tel Aviv

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't my fave line or passage. I want to ask if anyone else found this statement to be antisemitic? I'm not trying to accuse Moz of racism or to stir up trouble. But his comment jumped out from the page at me. This has not been mentioned anywhere else, that I am aware.

It is on page 208.

"This is a great single and if you don’t make this statement then we’re all in a mess and you’ll never be trusted on radio again,’ says Pat – her lipstick under no doubts whatsoever. I am already formulating semi-acceptable dribble in my head, wondering how I can squeeze in the term ‘conscious borrowing’ in an effort to ease the entire nation and rid the world forevermore of emphysema. I feel slightly queasy. I have been done over by an aggressive tribe from Palestine and I don’t know what to do."

The reason this is problematic is because both Geoff Travis and Pat Bellis (Jo Novak) are Jewish. And of course Jews often self-describe as being the tribe. And well, we know Israel was originally called Palestine. But it would seem out of character. Moz was, after all, given the key to Tel Aviv. If it isn't antisemitic, then what is it? What else could it mean?

Well done. This might be a LONG night!

"But still, I must speak frankly, Mr Shankly, give us money"

Last edited:

So, the "eyes wide open" award goes to Reality Bites. We've been watching, in shock, at the failure of most to actually read the text.

Whether he's oblivious or not, whether he's trolling or not, whether this relates to his 'ironic' fax, allegedly sent to a Jewish band member: there's more like this one egregious cognitive car-crash.

Those wretched Boomer sycophants in the media, who are defending their 30 year investment in Morrissey as if it were their pension fund, are going to have egg on their faces when people who have actually read the book several times begin to comment. People like me.

This isn't the only instance of breathtaking incompetence and linguisitic incontinence, insensitivity and haughty arrogance. I will publish a full "Review" of "Autobiography" in due course, when my interns have completed an index, but I strongly advise anyone lauding it to actuall read it, rather than skim it, before giving any further plaudits. There's a LOT of reputations going to end up in the dustbin when people realise what's actually between the covers of a book they praised in haste and will repent doing so at their leisure. Of course, that's my/our job and we'll deliver our judgement and sentence in due course, but there's no urgency. It's fun to watch so many walk the plank...Trust me: Morrissey is in serious trouble. It's sad to think there is no one in his life who could intervene and prevent this tragedy. But it's published. There's no going back now. What a way to end it all!

"In 2012, Morrisey was awarded the Keys to the City of Tel-Aviv"
[back cover blurb to Morrissey "Autobiography" Published by Penguin Classics (sic) ]

2014 World Tour:

Lima Beijing Oslo Toronto Tel Aviv

- - - Updated - - -

Well done. This might be a LONG night!

Everyone is going on and on about whether or not he is gay or bi. And asking if he a misogynist? No one is asking, is he anti-Semitic? I too am shocked that no one has pointed out this politically incorrect language/imagery. Is anti-Semitism so ingrained in our culture that most can't see it when it is screaming in their faces?

This is a clear case when an editor--perhaps a Jewish one--would have helped.

Looking forward to your review. Don't make us wait too long.

Last edited:

Everyone is going on and on about whether or not he is gay or bi. And asking if he a misogynist? No one is asking, is he antisemitic? I too am shocked that no one has pointed out this politically incorrect language/imagery. Is antisemitism so ingrained in our culture that most can't see it when it is screaming in their faces?

If my book would hurry up and get here I could read it and comment. I'm getting agitated!

Everyone is going on and on about whether or not he is gay or bi. And asking if he a misogynist? No one is asking, is he antisemitic? I too am shocked that no one has pointed out this politically incorrect language/imagery. Is antisemitism so ingrained in our culture that most can't see it when it is screaming in their faces?

It's not a review, it's a career autopsy. He was warned...at some level he must want what's coming...the "Review" is almost as long as the "Autobiography" but it's about the delusions of 'fame' with the hapless Morrissey as case study. It's a genuine classic, but will never be on the defunct Penguin imprint, that's for sure..hope you enjoyed your vegan challenge, been v.busy, so catching up on your blog soon. Take care.

regards
BB

- - - Updated - - -

If my book would hurry up and get here I could read it and comment. I'm getting agitated!

Well, wait until you get the book and actually read it. Until then, you could always STFU. For once..regards. BB

It's not a review, it's a career autopsy. He was warned...at some level he must want what's coming...the "Review" is almost as long as the "Autobiography" but it's about the delusions of 'fame' with the hapless Morrissey as case study. It's a genuine classic, but will never be on the defunct Penguin imprint, that's for sure..hope you enjoyed your vegan challenge, been v.busy, so catching up on your blog soon. Take care.

regards
BB

- - - Updated - - -

Well, wait until you get the book and actually read it. Until then, you could always STFU. For once..regards. BB

As long as you keep showing your stupid face I'll be here to shit on you. Back to to the book: Its pretty hard core but when has he NEVER pushed those hot-buttons?

regards
BB

I want to read it when it's finished.

Back
Top Bottom