Favorite line in "Children in Pieces"

Can someone post the full lyrics here? danca :)

Can someone post the full lyrics here? danca :)

oso posted them in the other thread, I have cut and pasted

Children in pieces
in Irish industrial schools
Nuns cold mothers
and their christian brothers
kick the shit out of very frightened children

Judges and priests and police and cardinals
they look the other way
when the weekend comes they'll make you suffer

Children in pieces
Nuns cold mothers

You say you wanna go home
you say you wanna be left alone
and so you turn to me
but instead of sympathy I find
my sentimental heart hardens
Get your hands off me
Kid, you must be bad luck
My sentimental heart hardens

and so you turn to me

me likey!!

:D

Children in pieces
Nuns cold mothers

they look the other way

Children in pieces
Nuns cold mothers

and so you turn to me
Get your hands off me

Thanks, Karin. I did a random search and couldn't find it. We need to merge some CIP threads ;) I was waiting to read the lyrics as I had another listen. Upon first hearing it tho, I do like it. Nice work, Steven :guitar:

Children in pieces
Nuns cold mothers

they look the other way

Children in pieces
Nuns cold mothers

and so you turn to me
Get your hands off me

Well, I don't like the swearing in the song (shit) :sleeping: yawn and I think that lyric could have just been a very dramatic "frighten the children!!" (or something PT can write for him :p)

Besides the backwards lyrics, my fave is "you say you wanna be left alone"

Children in pieces
Nuns cold mothers

they look the other way

Children in pieces
Nuns cold mothers

and so you turn to me
Get your hands off me

I'm pretty sure it's 'nuns called mothers'

I just think as an Irish person we have been bombarded with all this stuff in the media for years back to when Albert Reynolds was the taoiseach. I dont see the relevance of the song now that it has all kind of quietened down.

Last edited:
I'd also like to add it isnt "their Christian brothers" but "the Christian Brothers", an order of priests who teach the needy. That being said I like the kick the shit bit.

I just think as an Irish person we have been bobarded with all this stuff in the media for years back to when Albert Reynolds was the taoiseach. I dont see the relevance of the song now that it has all kind of quietened down.

Could you elaborate for us Americans?

I just think as an Irish person we have been bobarded with all this stuff in the media for years back to when Albert Reynolds was the taoiseach. I dont see the relevance of the song now that it has all kind of quietened down.

I would agree with you for wholeheartedly. I also agree with cossy's post in another thread saying he preferred Damien Dempsey's treatment of the subject, simply entitled "Industrial Schools". I'm a bit uncomfortable with the subject matter, and Morrissey's treatment of it to be honest. It's been a very dark cloud hanging over us a country for many years now, and to be honest I cringed a bit when I heard the lyrics for the first time. Its almost like I feel he's not giving enough respect to what is a very, very serious issue in this country, and something that people are trying to resolve and move on from. And its not just the industrial schools that this song evokes thoughts of for me. The scandals of Catholic priests sexually abusing young children are still coming out in the news every week. And it must be pointed out that the Christian Brothers were not only teachers in Industrial Schools, they taught in regular Schools as well - and were well known for kicking the shit out of very frightened children in those schools too. The beatings given out by these thugs are infamous. I'd say there's not a person in this country who has either suffered at the hands of these animals, or knows someone who did. Thats not to say that they were all bad either, but a hell of a lot of them were. I can't stress enough how big and serious an issue this was in this country - and again I don't feel he's treated the issue with enough respect. The song reads like a statement of fact with very little emotion behind it, and brings nothing new to the table. Not engaging, unnecessary, and a bit glib. I think I should point out at this stage that I was lucky enough not to go through any of this.

My favorite line is:

"Will everyone please stop going on about the new single when I haven't recieved mine yet, ooooooooh, oooooohhh."

"christian brothers
kick the shit out of very frightened children".

I don't have any favourite lines, but I saw this happen often enough in the late 70's/early 80's, as I had the misfortune to attend a "Christian" Brothers school in Dublin.

"my sentimental heart hardens" is a great line. It goes to the heart of the matter really.

That child abuse goes on mainly because people are prepared to turn a blind eye and not want to get involved. The same people that would probably weep at the horror stories in the papers will ignore something going on on their doorstep.

"christian brothers
kick the shit out of very frightened children".

I don't have any favourite lines, but I saw this happen often enough in the late 70's/early 80's, as I had the misfortune to attend a "Christian" Brothers school in Dublin.

I'm sorry. :(

"my sentimental heart hardens" is a great line. It goes to the heart of the matter really.

That child abuse goes on mainly because people are prepared to turn a blind eye and not want to get involved. The same people that would probably weep at the horror stories in the papers will ignore something going on on their doorstep.

Exactly!

Of course this is a difficult subject matter and the way he presents it to us is (unfortunately) the way it happens... it's shocking but true - people turn a blind eye and do not want to get involved. That's why I think it's a a very powerful song.

To be quite honest I'm not British and did not know about this...the same way I did not know about the Moors murders until I heard suffer little children. I, for one, really like this song and the lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom