Favorite bonus track off "World Peace Is None Of Your Business"?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Favorite 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' bonus track?

• Total voters
So, Art Hounds: I thought the 1930s-ish Big Band jazz intro was totally awkward and out of place on the first couple of listens, but now I can't imagine it not being there. I love it. The finger-snaps, especially. I wonder how it came about!

It's getting my vote for this poll, even though it always pains me a little to choose favorites. Art Hounds, Drag the River, One of Our Own, Julie in the Weeds, Forgive Someone, Scandinavia. In that order. (For now…)

I, too, cannot imagine Art-Hounds (coincidentally playing as I type this!) without that intro.

Forgive someone
Julie in the weeds
Art-hounds
One of our own
Scandinavia
Drag the river

One Of Our Own, hands down.

This should be a no-contest romp for "Drag The River"- it's miles beyond the other tracks. "Art-hounds" is shite and "One Of Our Own" is just horrible. Somewhere along the way Morrissey's audience has morphed into a group of people with the absolute worst taste (which makes some sense since Morrissey's own out-put has gotten steadily worse).

This should be a no-contest romp for "Drag The River"- it's miles beyond the other tracks. "Art-hounds" is shite and "One Of Our Own" is just horrible. Somewhere along the way Morrissey's audience has morphed into a group of people with the absolute worst taste (which makes some sense since Morrissey's own out-put has gotten steadily worse).
But you've stayed sharp, good for you-

But you've stayed sharp, good for you-

It's not so much that the old fans have lost their taste (though there's some lowered expectations for sure)- I think it's more a case that the new fans are tasteless.

Man, the deluxe edition bonus tracks are all so strong.

I just wish Art-Hounds was on the album proper. I'd love to see how snarky critics reply to the lyrics to that one. Maybe they're avoiding it intentionally.

Loves the extra tracks. The least favorite is Scandinavia, which I like but then all the other came and boy, are they amazing :).

It was difficult to choose and almost a tie between One of your own and Art-hounds. In the end I voted for One of our Own, such an amazing song! :)

Right now I'm sitting with 'Drag The River' his voice sounds so lush on that one, but my feelings are changing all the time regarding this entire album, I can't stop playing it and my favourite track or tracks keeps changing by the hour! the whole six of 'em are great and I would love to have seen him release it all as one entire double album. Considering this is an album sans Alain Whyte the band (all of them) really do need to take a bow.

Drag The River...Art Hounds...not sure. I also love Julie and I'm really starting to adore Forgive Someone.

The studio version of Scandinavia left me cold - perhaps a case of familiarity breeding contempt. Art Hounds is a revelation. Forgive Someone and Drag The River are very good.

Weird; I hated that song for two years and the studio version really made me see its power. Still not my favorite song of his, but they really did a good job with it.

To me, the album is 18 songs at this point. I can’t see myself only listening to the first 12 tracks, unless I’m listening to the vinyl copy.

Agreed.

Art Hounds didn't make the album not because it isn't a good song, but because it just doesn't fit anymore.

Agreed.

"Art-hounds" is shite and "One Of Our Own" is just horrible.

Yeah, no.

"One of Our Own" is a tremendous track.

Once again there are B-sides on the album, and a gem or two left to languish.

For me the three songs: Drag The River, Forgive Someone & Julie in The Weeds are magical. They should have been on the album proper instead of some of the other songs.

I find I'm listening to the bonus disc far more that the actual album.

Last edited:
I'm listening to "Forgive Someone" right now, and I swear it feels like I've been listening to it for 20 years. I mean, not that the song feels like it's two decades long, but it feels so…familiar. It isn't because I've had this album on a loop for over a week, either.

I'm listening to "Forgive Someone" right now, and I swear it feels like I've been listening to it for 20 years. I mean, not that the song feels like it's two decades long, but it feels so…familiar. It isn't because I've had this album on a loop for over a week, either.

In what way? Is there perhaps a specific song it reminds you of?

In what way? Is there perhaps a specific song it reminds you of?

I don't think so, at least not that I can pinpoint. The first time I heard it some of the phrasing brought to mind John Lennon's "Beautiful Boy," but I don't think that's it. I have a crazy deja vu thing happening, though. It's driving me crazy. Maybe it's just because it's a great song?

I'm being super inarticulate here, I know!

I don't think so, at least not that I can pinpoint. The first time I heard it some of the phrasing brought to mind John Lennon's "Beautiful Boy," but I don't think that's it. I have a crazy deja vu thing happening, though. It's driving me crazy. Maybe it's just because it's a great song?

I'm being super inarticulate here, I know!

You're right, it is a great song.

Art-Hounds is terrific. Ropey lyrics (of course) but as exciting as anything he’s put out in the last 20 years.

Scandinavia sounds terrific but it goes on too long and is missing something - by the end it feels unpleasant to listen to it.

I’m mystified by the love for the other songs. They just sound like bog-standard b-sides to me, with the best one being Forgive Someone. One of Our Own has decent music but crap lyrics. The other two are just nothing really. I would genuinely rate them much lower than, for example, Journalists Who Lie, East West, Mexico… many others.

I have a crazy deja vu thing happening, though. It's driving me crazy. Maybe it's just because it's a great song?

Chickpea, you're not alone!

I have been trying for the longest damn time to pinpoint what it reminds me of... I keep thinking it feels reminiscent of a track from "The Smiths", yet I can't really pinpoint any song on the album it reminds me of (for a while, I wanted to say "Reel Around the Fountain", but that doesn't seem right), and that 80's-sounding synth definitely doesn't fit The Smiths...

Regarding the synth itself, I feel like there's loads of 80's songs that have used a similar sound, I just can't think of any of them, beyond the brief instances of it heard in the beginning of "Who Knows What Love Is?" by Strawberry Switchblade (it's not the same sound, but similar).

I think the sense of deja vu I get from it is a combination of the early Smiths vibe coupled with that ubiquitous 80's-a'go-go synth sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think that's because it sounds like something straight out of a '60s girl group, like The Shirelles or the Ronettes (lending further credence to the whole "it's about Johnny Marr" theory).

Back
Top Bottom