Fat People

I do give a shit, just if you are comfortable with yourself in your own body. I don't think you should care if you are ton or 100lbs, if you are happy in your skin. When you say fat, I dont look at it myself in that context. I look at personally as a percentage of body fat against my body weight. When people say they are losing weight, they generally dont know if they are losing fat, losing lean muscle mass or a combination of both. I think the obvious is to agree losing muscle is not a healthy thing as it is what we use during activity.

I am currently 181 pounds for a 6'1" frame and about 8-9%body fat. For a fitness example, for this cycling season, I cycled 5799.5 miles. During that time I only cared about fat as it related to my weight measured against my total body fat. So during the season, my goal is to increase/maintain muscle mass and maintain/lose body fat.

How someone like myself balances this is knowing my lean muscle mass and the daily calorie burn rate to support that lean muscle mass. You also have to take into account the additional calories expended through exercise and add those to the daily calorie intake. If you are carrying excess body fat, dont go below a 10% calorie deficit of the total calories that will support your lean muscle mass. This will generally be the healthy way to reduce body fat without reducing muscle. So for example, I fluctuate between 7-11% body fat through the year (11%winter - 7%summer). During winter I have to always be aware of my calorie intake so that I am eating enough to support my body and that I never fall into a big calorie deficit which can store fat and lose muscle.

Im not concerned about body image, all I care about is strength to weight ratios. So simply, the matrix of my fat, my muscle and my weight. Your concerns seem a little different than mine. Not to be flippant, I am skinny, but I think I look f***ing great. Crystal, I want you to think you look f***ing great to, so fat it up, skinny it up, wear baggy clothes, be content cause it means nothing other than what it means to you.

Oh and exercise is not the holy grail of body fat management, nutrition is and everyone seems to get this wrong.

Im not concerned about body image, all I care about is strength to weight ratios. So simply, the matrix of my fat, my muscle and my weight. Your concerns seem a little different than mine. Not to be flippant, I am skinny, but I think I look f***ing great. Crystal, I want you to think you look f***ing great to, so fat it up, skinny it up, wear baggy clothes, be content cause it means nothing other than what it means to you.

Oh and exercise is not the holy grail of body fat management, nutrition is and everyone seems to get this wrong.

:thumb:

I admire your honesty for posting this, CG. Took some balls.

However I don't think that being a normal, healthy weight (or wanting to be) is silly or shallow or "Auschwitz chic", it's just sensible, trying to look after yourself and give yourself the best chance of a long life.
Your life and your choices are up to you, and if you're happy then that's fair enough. I get the feeling that if you were totally happy being "big", you wouldn't have posted this thread, though.
I am a fatty myself and hate it, have always hated it. I've been losing weight for about a month now and still have ~30lbs to go to be in the normal range, so that's the goal. I don't know your height, but I don't think it's wise to completely disregard BMI. Just my two cents.

A normal healthy weight is different for different people. There's nothing on me but my wife is biggish. One of our kids eats all day and is skinny, the other barely eats and is a bit chunky. I used to think all fat people were greedy and unhealthy but now I don't think so. As long as you don't balloon all's good.

I have an issue with the whole fascination with dieting and losing weight. I think it's all a con that makes shitloads of money for people without scruples every year.

Basically put, eat well and exercise, as long as you're healthy, your weight's pretty constant don't worry about it and go tell those that think otherwise to bollocks.

This thread reminds me, what happened to !Viva Hate! and NHNS?

This thread reminds me, what happened to !Viva Hate! and NHNS?

I wonder if he knocked her up? I hope they name the baby Crystal. :sweet:

Should I start a viva and not happy disappeared thread? Inhave wondered that myself

My friend got gastric bypass surgery in October, two weeks before I started this thread. She's lost 70 pounds in four months. I think there's something a tad too drastic about that. I still weigh 219. I'm okay with that. :o

I have bulimia but that's ok now, I found some prescribed pills which are easy to purchase without any questions in my city and I don't wanna eat at all. But side effects on brain are horrific, lol.

My friend just said she knows two people whose moms DIED from complications arising from Gastric Bypass Surgery, both because they lost too much weight, couldn't put it back on and had issues that spiraled out of control from being too skinny. Why does the FDA allow this? TWO PEOPLE DEAD just in my circle. Say a prayer for Pria. :squiffy:

So I have another friend from high school who I regularly hung out with who was morbidly obese in high school. We touched base on Facebook a number of years ago but never met up, she has a husband and I was always busy and etc, etc.. Apparently for the last two years she's been dieting and exercising, no lap band, just cutting out gluten and junk. She hasn't said a WORD. No bragging. (Typical of her actually.) Shes lost over 140 pounds!!!! But the weird part is I don't recognize her, she never was thin, even way back in 1988. But I'm beyond proud of her.

All I can say is I'm glad some guys finally jumped into this conversation... apart from the guy that dresses his women it's nice to see input from both sides. I've struggled with weight my entire life and only made peace with the idea that I'm always going to be a "big" guy after I completed basic training. I had never been in better shape (and haven't been since!) and could not possibly get more exercise in a 2 month period than I did then and I still didn't dip below 200lbs (I'm 6' even.) Of course that 200lbs was lots of muscle and the shape of my body was drastically different than my 200lbs High School self but I still looked fatter than my fellow soldiers. Fast forward 25 years and, of course, looking back I'd kill to look that fat again. But I feel pretty good. I think most fat folks have an internal alarm that goes off when they reach the fattest end of their I-can-live-with-myself weight range. When the alarm goes off they up their game and eat better and exercise a bit more. Thankfully winter is ending (a particularly brutal one here in Upstate NY) and I can finally start commuting by bike again and get out on the road to jog. That said- even when I'm training for cycling I never look like a traditional cyclist and would look like a sausage in bike shorts or any racing gear. When I run, even when I consider myself in-shape and looking pretty fit, I still get attaboys from the real runners because I look like a fat ass that's just starting off. The only reason I care is that I'm a Dad now. My daughter is on the chubby side- she loves to eat and hates to exercise- I'm never sure how to approach the weight issue with her. I love her just that way she is but I want her to be healthy and I want her to be happy (and growing up fat sucks- especially for girls- don't mean to sound sexist.) Never sure what to do- I don't want her to have body issues. She really doesn't seem concerned at all about her weight. On the flip side my son is really fit- loves to exercise etc... he has always had body issues and they didn't come from me or my wife (we're both heavy and fluctuate but neither of us is sloppy or gross.) I mean his issues indirectly came from us as, basically, I just think he sees us and doesn't want to be fat. I guess it's just interesting to me to see how different people deal with weight issues. This is a strange thread for this site but I'm glad it's here. :)

Oh- just a quick note- my wife is a nurse and has seen LOTS of people die from gastric bypass complications. I've heard way too many stories about people that have to live with some pretty lousy complications from it as well (apart from the widely known like thin hair etc.- I mean serious issues that f*** up your health for the rest of your life.)

Once you go thin and realize how much sexier, healthier, and better life is, you will never go back to being fat.

Just stop freaking stuffing your pie holes with processed garbage; it's as simple as that. It really is.

Once you go thin and realize how much sexier, healthier, and better life is, you will never go back to being fat.

Just stop freaking stuffing your pie holes with processed garbage; it's as simple as that. It really is.

Can you give me tips as to where I should place my finger in my throat after I've finished eating? Also is it okay to have a breath mint after, or should I stick to ice chips since they are less caloric?

Can you give me tips as to where I should place my finger in my throat after I've finished eating? Also is it okay to have a breath mint after, or should I stick to ice chips since they are less caloric?

I suggest celery! It's negative calories!!! We're for anorexia!!! Kidding... On-topic: congrats on your recent weight loss. It's a huge effort, but the health benefits are countless. I'm 236 pounds, but I'm also 6'4. I'd like to change my body composition further - less fat, more muscle. So my yoga regimen begins this weekend! Wish me luck...

I suggest celery! It's negative calories!!! We're for anorexia!!! Kidding... On-topic: congrats on your recent weight loss. It's a huge effort, but the health benefits are countless. I'm 236 pounds, but I'm also 6'4. I'd like to change my body composition further - less fat, more muscle. So my yoga regimen begins this weekend! Wish me luck...

I'm gaining it back bc of pot. I smoke and then eat uncontrollably and FORGET the next morning that I mindlessly polished off a bag of chiops.

Back
Top Bottom