Far Out: "The National’s Matt Berninger explains why he no longer listens to Morrissey" (April 21, 2023)

The-National-2023-Far-Out-Magazine.jpg

The National’s Matt Berninger explains why he no longer listens to Morrissey

While promoting The National’s latest album, First Two Pages of Frankenstein, frontman Matt Berninger revealed that he no longer listens to Morrissey because of his difficulties separating the art from the artist.

'Usual' Far Out article with Matt placing "all" fans in the same boat as himself.
FWD.

Excerpt from the linked Guardian interview, The National’s Matt Berninger: ‘I have a healthy marriage because I write about looking into the abyss’ (April 21, 2023):

In the song Pink Rabbits you reference the album Bona Drag. Do you still listen to Morrissey? scuzzboy24

I haven’t listened to Morrissey in a long time. I go back to The Queen is Dead, but I haven’t in a while. It’s a little bit hard to separate the ickiness of things he’s said. I still believe he’s a brilliant, sensitive artist. Morrissey was one of the first where I was like, that guy gets me. I have genuine love for him. But I’m in the same boat as all Morrissey fans, just like: “Agh, please!”

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never listened to The National's music, as I dislike the Nazi connotations of their name.

He wishes he was Morrissey

I used to love this band. Seen them plenty of times.
Great songwriter. I think he would love to be as original and as talented as M was. but I think he has been writing better lyrics than M for over a decade
and I would be surprised to find any man above 25 who would want to be M. Sure when you are 13 and first hear the Smiths and get a quiff, for a couple of years, it seems like M is the business. Just like some want to be Andrew Tate or whatever but you grow out of it Especially, when you realise what M is like as a human. I'm not talking smack about the dude, I just mean he isn't the happiest bunny and he doesn't even seem to have that much of a love life. Without love what the feck is there? Im really not shit posting about M. I just mean who wants to be someone who is obviously not that happy?
Its a shame Matt said what he said about M though, he sounds like Billy Bragg. Its such bollocks all this political stuff. If Matt had as much love for M as he says, he would have never said what the feck he said

Sometimes I think about the difficulties in separating the art from the artist, then I remember how much cash the artist has separated from my wallet over the years. Screw him and his views, I'm not throwing my money down the drain.

Morrissey is the last free thinking person in music. This is why many love him. This virtue signaling war-loving monotone guy from The National can only dream to sing like Moz. Let me guess - their new album is filled with the same sad dad rock they've been doing ad nauseum for years... pass

Well they're a crap band that has a singer that can't see beyond the headlines and clamour to cancel Moz..... So basically thick and ignorant....

Quoting that barren hag Dodwell makes you feel manly, doesn't it? And the old lady on the laptop meme isn't completely played out, like Morrissey's career is it?

What are you talking about, you absolute drug addict? I posted the Dodwell tweet because it’s relevant to the discussion, and no one else had posted it yet.
Don’t even know what the second half of your post means. Stop taking all the drugs you are obviously taking, John.
Also, I’m pretty sure I banned you from reading my posts.

Last edited:
"The Moz gets a lot of hate these days. I heard Mark Kermode burned his copy of this LP. All I know is that this [You Are The Quarry] is one of Morrissey's finest albums." (with short discussion in comments)

View attachment 90579

The National’s Matt Berninger explains why he no longer listens to Morrissey

While promoting The National’s latest album, First Two Pages of Frankenstein, frontman Matt Berninger revealed that he no longer listens to Morrissey because of his difficulties separating the art from the artist.

'Usual' Far Out article with Matt placing "all" fans in the same boat as himself.
FWD.

Excerpt from the linked Guardian interview, The National’s Matt Berninger: ‘I have a healthy marriage because I write about looking into the abyss’ (April 21, 2023):

In the song Pink Rabbits you reference the album Bona Drag. Do you still listen to Morrissey? scuzzboy24

I haven’t listened to Morrissey in a long time. I go back to The Queen is Dead, but I haven’t in a while. It’s a little bit hard to separate the ickiness of things he’s said. I still believe he’s a brilliant, sensitive artist. Morrissey was one of the first where I was like, that guy gets me. I have genuine love for him. But I’m in the same boat as all Morrissey fans, just like: “Agh, please!”

Related items:
Yet The National LOVE R.E.M. and they are crossover fans Morrissey and R.E.M.

Yet The National LOVE R.E.M. and the fanbase of both Morrissey and R.E.M. are very similar........In fact I belong to the group REMOZ on Facebook......

And politics and political views have no place in music, in my humble opinion. I absolutely adore R.E.M. but when they started ranting about Gwen O'looney or Whitz Fowler I ignored it, just play the songs that I love you for.

I felt icky reading that. He sounds like a twat. Didn't he used to work in advertising? It shows.
Much as I'm sure Morrissey was (and is) a sensitive soul - I would never describe him as a 'sensitive artist'. Meat Is Murder, Louder Than Bombs, The Queen Is Dead, Strangeways Here We Come, Viva Hate - he has always struck me as an artist who wants to stir up a fight.
A sensitive artist, who wants to stir up a fight :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom