Far Out: "The National’s Matt Berninger explains why he no longer listens to Morrissey" (April 21, 2023)

The-National-2023-Far-Out-Magazine.jpg

The National’s Matt Berninger explains why he no longer listens to Morrissey

While promoting The National’s latest album, First Two Pages of Frankenstein, frontman Matt Berninger revealed that he no longer listens to Morrissey because of his difficulties separating the art from the artist.

'Usual' Far Out article with Matt placing "all" fans in the same boat as himself.
FWD.

Excerpt from the linked Guardian interview, The National’s Matt Berninger: ‘I have a healthy marriage because I write about looking into the abyss’ (April 21, 2023):

In the song Pink Rabbits you reference the album Bona Drag. Do you still listen to Morrissey? scuzzboy24

I haven’t listened to Morrissey in a long time. I go back to The Queen is Dead, but I haven’t in a while. It’s a little bit hard to separate the ickiness of things he’s said. I still believe he’s a brilliant, sensitive artist. Morrissey was one of the first where I was like, that guy gets me. I have genuine love for him. But I’m in the same boat as all Morrissey fans, just like: “Agh, please!”

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
do we need to list all the people we don't listen to?

This post has prompted the usual responses but unfortunately Matt's views do represent a vast chunk of what was Morrissey's pre-2019 fanbase, i.e. it's not just the opinion of a handful of celebrities. And people will say he's better off without them all but unfortunately this is the reason why there are currently two unreleased albums sitting around.
Bookish Boy quoted a 2020 interview where Matt said he still listens to Morrissey despite all the problems. Morrissey's not really said anything else toxic since then so this change of heart is however a little hard to understand.

This post has prompted the usual responses but unfortunately Matt's views do represent a vast chunk of what was Morrissey's pre-2019 fanbase, i.e. it's not just the opinion of a handful of celebrities. And people will say he's better off without them all but unfortunately this is the reason why there are currently two unreleased albums sitting around.
Bookish Boy quoted a 2020 interview where Matt said he still listens to Morrissey despite all the problems. Morrissey's not really said anything else toxic since then so this change of heart is however a little hard to understand.
Yes, that's the bit that puzzles me, too.

Speculating wildly here, but it might be possible to suggest that the closer one gets to the mainstream (his band's links with Taylor Swift, etc), the safer one might need to play it, in terms of views on anyone or anything too "controversial"...

No wonder their last good album is the one which has “Pink Rabbits” in it. Maybe Matt should start listening to Morrissey again.

Caravaggio killed someone, I still like his paintings very much.

I'd still like The National music if they'd kept with the quality from Alligator to High Violet, despite them turning into US Democratic party cheerleaders. Sadly, it's not the case.
The quality of the albums after the ones you mentioned has improved, contrary to your claim.

View attachment 90579

The National’s Matt Berninger explains why he no longer listens to Morrissey

While promoting The National’s latest album, First Two Pages of Frankenstein, frontman Matt Berninger revealed that he no longer listens to Morrissey because of his difficulties separating the art from the artist.

'Usual' Far Out article with Matt placing "all" fans in the same boat as himself.
FWD.

Excerpt from the linked Guardian interview, The National’s Matt Berninger: ‘I have a healthy marriage because I write about looking into the abyss’ (April 21, 2023):

In the song Pink Rabbits you reference the album Bona Drag. Do you still listen to Morrissey? scuzzboy24

I haven’t listened to Morrissey in a long time. I go back to The Queen is Dead, but I haven’t in a while. It’s a little bit hard to separate the ickiness of things he’s said. I still believe he’s a brilliant, sensitive artist. Morrissey was one of the first where I was like, that guy gets me. I have genuine love for him. But I’m in the same boat as all Morrissey fans, just like: “Agh, please!”

Related items:
The opinions of a coach travel company mean little

You can't seperate Morrissey as a person from his music, he IS his music

And both are f***ing fantastic.

Another sh*tty old man talking sh*t about M anytime he can and get some extra attention, like the guitar of the smiths. At least, in the latter, I'm glad M did shut his mouth.

Saw the National live in 2009/10 and then again in 2019 (I think)

The first concert was a bit of a snoozefest (Brixton) and the second was even more snore-inducing. The lead singer went on a walkabout and sang from behind the bar. If you need tricks like that to engage the crowd then it's pretty desperate. (imo)

Some good records in their earlier days but as soon as they became flagwavers for the Democratic Party I went rapidly off them. Plus their music became boring.

Another sh*tty old man talking sh*t about M anytime he can and get some extra attention, like the guitar of the smiths. At least, in the latter, I'm glad M did shut his mouth.

Your post makes no sense, Matt is 12 years younger than Morrissey, the band sell shit loads more records than Morrissey and they sell out far bigger venues than Morrissey, so not sure why you would think they need to use Morrissey's name for attention?

He's absolutely entitled to his own opinion.
What he might like to do, however, is not extend said view to include and suggest the entire fanbase hold that very same opinion - as that's a tiny bit daft and reductive.
Regards,
FWD.
Exactly! He's a great singer and all but he doesn't speak for every Moz fan.

Anyone who can't separate art from the artist is a bit silly. If fans knew half of what their 'squeaky clean' idols got up to they'd be outraged in an era when feeling outraged is all the rage, incensed in an age of no sense, and apoplectic in an age of apocalypse tomorrow.

image-w1280.jpg

Last edited:
I felt icky reading that. He sounds like a twat. Didn't he used to work in advertising? It shows.
Much as I'm sure Morrissey was (and is) a sensitive soul - I would never describe him as a 'sensitive artist'. Meat Is Murder, Louder Than Bombs, The Queen Is Dead, Strangeways Here We Come, Viva Hate - he has always struck me as an artist who wants to stir up a fight.

Back
Top Bottom