Far Out: "The National’s Matt Berninger explains why he no longer listens to Morrissey" (April 21, 2023)

The-National-2023-Far-Out-Magazine.jpg

The National’s Matt Berninger explains why he no longer listens to Morrissey

While promoting The National’s latest album, First Two Pages of Frankenstein, frontman Matt Berninger revealed that he no longer listens to Morrissey because of his difficulties separating the art from the artist.

'Usual' Far Out article with Matt placing "all" fans in the same boat as himself.
FWD.

Excerpt from the linked Guardian interview, The National’s Matt Berninger: ‘I have a healthy marriage because I write about looking into the abyss’ (April 21, 2023):

In the song Pink Rabbits you reference the album Bona Drag. Do you still listen to Morrissey? scuzzboy24

I haven’t listened to Morrissey in a long time. I go back to The Queen is Dead, but I haven’t in a while. It’s a little bit hard to separate the ickiness of things he’s said. I still believe he’s a brilliant, sensitive artist. Morrissey was one of the first where I was like, that guy gets me. I have genuine love for him. But I’m in the same boat as all Morrissey fans, just like: “Agh, please!”

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
The National are (well, were) an amazing band. Having said that; they been artistcially running out of steam for awhile now. I'll take shitty cell phones recordings of Morrissey's new stuff that remains unreleased because no labels have the balls to sign him over the new National album in a heartbeat.

Having said that, there are some solid songs on the new National album.

The National are (well, were) an amazing band. Having said that; they been artistcially running out of steam for awhile now. I'll take shitty cell phones recordings of Morrissey's new stuff that remains unreleased because no labels have the balls to sign him over the new National album in a heartbeat.

Having said that, there are some solid songs on the new National album.

Just bought it, think it's better than I am easy to find but still not a patch on Boxer, High Violet, Trouble will find me or Sleep well beast.

Last edited:
This feels a little harsh, but the "sad dad.. last refuge of curdling middle-age men who once thought themselves bound for something better" isn't far off the money.

Before the Far Out article was published, I had saved Tropic Morning News on my 2023 playlist and it's the only one I've liked from their new album. This Vulture article says it's pinched from The War On Drugs. I'm not familiar with that group, so I didn't notice and I wonder if it's true.

I really love the new National album, although there really isn't on it that they haven't done before. The electronic leanings of Sleep Well Beast are now a thing of the past too. But there are some truly great songs on it; stuff like Eucalyptus, Once Upon a Poolside, The Alcott, This Isn't Helping... Berninger's lyrics really highlight how pointless and lost Morrissey's new stuff sounds.

This is not a very interesting interview but there's a brief mention of The Smiths (6:50) where he says he loved them partly because none of his friends had heard of them and the boy with the thorn in his side was definitely him. Right at the very end he says he finds it "icky" to delve deep into his new songs in interviews because they really speak for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom