Far Out Magazine: Johnny Marr discusses first meeting Morrissey at a Patti Smith concert (November 30, 2022)

In a new interview, Johnny Marr discusses first meeting his former Smiths bandmate, Morrissey. Marr opened up about the incident during an appearance on the podcast, The Line-Up With Shaun Keaveny. On the show, guests are invited to pick their dream festival, which brought him onto the topic of Patti Smith. The former Smiths guitarist recalled sneaking into the Apollo in Manchester to watch her in 1978 and stumbling upon Morrissey for the first time.

Excerpt:

He explained: “Funny enough, it was actually for the real first time Morrissey and I met, but we met really in passing, when I went to see Patti Smith on my own in 1978. I was 14, and none of my mates wanted to pony up for the ticket. We used to always sneak in. I talked about this in my book quite a lot. We used to sneak into the Apollo.”

I am talking about something Peter Hook said. He said Marr came to him and tried to get him to work with him and Hooky declined. Then Marr went to Bernard, and Hooky was there or there shortly thereafter and he told Bernard what Marr did and Marr lied to Bernard's face and Hooky's.
I did not listen to the podcast, I need an interpreter to understand Marr and he just tells the same stories over and over.
Dude, that happened right after the Smiths! Let it go. Peter Hook is persona non grata with all of New Order - think why that is.

Dude, that happened right after the Smiths! Let it go. Peter Hook is persona non grata with all of New Order - think why that is.
It's who Marr is, he hasn't changed. Marr and Bernard have made bitchy comments about each other as well.

It's who Marr is, he hasn't changed. Marr and Bernard have made bitchy comments about each other as well.

I think Marr has matured very nicely. You should listen to the podcast. If English is your first language, you should have no problem with it. It really was enjoyable listening to him talk about music. You just wish Morrissey could be interviewed in the same way.

I think Marr has matured very nicely. You should listen to the podcast. If English is your first language, you should have no problem with it. It really was enjoyable listening to him talk about music. You just wish Morrissey could be interviewed in the same way.
I don't think he's mature at all. My English is fine, his is not, he never learned to speak properly and at almost 60, still does not try. I don't think it's a Manchester thing as I have spoken to other people from Manchester and had no problem understanding them, or other musicians from Manchester sound fine to me. I don't enjoy him, at all. I don't really wish for interviews from anyone, if you do, excellent, carry on.

Bernard Sumner? Peter Hook? Are you guys talking about interviews Johnny did 30 years ago?

Did anyone else listen to the Shaun Keaveny podcast? Johnny said the Smiths loved each other. End of.
You could replace those names with any collaborator, any journalist, it's just what Johnny is like. I did listen to the podcast and I think it's heartwarming when he says stuff like this - The Smiths loved each other, there was love in the songs, he was three feet off the ground the whole time etc. Of course it is. But there have been too many times when he countered that stuff with snideness about M that just wasn't necessary.

One I always remember is him answering a question about assembling some fictional supergroup - he concocted one consisting of virtually all his post-Smiths collaborators and said they'd call their tour I Told You I Was Right. What's that, if not playing to the gallery and using Moz' current pariah status for laughs? It gives the impression that he's always thought M was a nightmare, even though it's clearly not true.

Did Johnny try to poach Alain? Didn't they have coffee together or something. I can't remember who told the story, but Johnny asked Alain if he would ever go back to Moz and Alain said 'only if you do' which I thought was hilarious.

Alain spoke about meeting Johnny right at the end of this interview, around 1 hour 3 minute mark:

You could replace those names with any collaborator, any journalist, it's just what Johnny is like. I did listen to the podcast and I think it's heartwarming when he says stuff like this - The Smiths loved each other, there was love in the songs, he was three feet off the ground the whole time etc. Of course it is. But there have been too many times when he countered that stuff with snideness about M that just wasn't necessary.

One I always remember is him answering a question about assembling some fictional supergroup - he concocted one consisting of virtually all his post-Smiths collaborators and said they'd call their tour I Told You I Was Right. What's that, if not playing to the gallery and using Moz' current pariah status for laughs? It gives the impression that he's always thought M was a nightmare, even though it's clearly not true.

He didn’t mention Morrissey, how do you know what that was about? Maybe it was about all the bands he joined like Modest Mouse when people said it wouldn’t work. I’d take a step back and stop looking at everything Johnny does through Morrissey’s eyes. Johnny plainly moved on years ago.

Did Johnny try to poach Alain? Didn't they have coffee together or something. I can't remember who told the story, but Johnny asked Alain if he would ever go back to Moz and Alain said 'only if you do' which I thought was hilarious.

Why would he poach Alain? He sounds like a nice guy, but Johnny already has an incredible second guitarist, James who can play almost everything Johnny can. Morrissey doesn’t have any guitarists who can do that.

Johnny never trash talks Moz - don’t know where you’ve seen an example of that. I love how Johnny’s now the respected elder statesmen, giving interviews and floating above all of Morrissey’s controversies.
Has he a bit by bringing up morrissey’s views when things had gotten controversial.

He didn’t mention Morrissey, how do you know what that was about? Maybe it was about all the bands he joined like Modest Mouse when people said it wouldn’t work. I’d take a step back and stop looking at everything Johnny does through Morrissey’s eyes. Johnny plainly moved on years ago.
With respect, what else do you think JM wants be seen as 'right' about - his footwear? Why do you think he sings "Now I now how Johnny Marr felt' when he plays Bigmouth? He has a consistent post-Smiths narrative in which he is a victim of a controlling narcissist and it is time he moved on from it, but he hasn't. Here are a few more examples.

Last edited:
Why would he poach Alain? He sounds like a nice guy, but Johnny already has an incredible second guitarist, James who can play almost everything Johnny can. Morrissey doesn’t have any guitarists who can do that.
Well, having seen both, I don't agree Johnny has an incredible guitarist and I prefer Alain. Johnny tries to poach people, it's what he does.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom