Far Out: "Far Out Meets: The Smiths’ Mike Joyce discusses Morrissey, Marr and modern music" (September 28, 2022)

Far-Out-Meets-Mike-Joyce.jpg

Far Out Meets: The Smiths’ Mike Joyce discusses Morrissey, Marr and modern music

By Jordan Potter.

Regards,
FWD.

I like that he recognizes that going off track can be because of abusive relationships.

"During visits to the charity’s open days, Joyce could see first-hand how the charity looks to help struggling communities in Manchester. “It was pretty upsetting sometimes because some of these people have been in very desperate situations. Whether it’s, through their own wrongdoing or not, whether they’ve been in abusive relationships or had problems with drugs, alcohol or mental health.”

What a great level-headed guy he is.
Saying exactly what I said all these years here:

‘Over the past few years, Marr has been further distancing himself from Morrissey in the wake of some of the singer’s controversial comments regarding his political and ethical alignment. I was curious to know whether Joyce felt Morrissey had become more opinionated since the ’80s and if his views had become more radical.’

“He’s always said things that were pretty controversial,” Joyce remembered. “After the Brighton bombing [in 1984], I think one of his quotes was – this isn’t verbatim – ‘The only problem with the Brighton bombings was that they didn’t kill [Margaret] Thatcher.’ So, this isn’t new, these views. And I think I’ve got respect for him in terms of him saying what he thinks. Because, in this day and age, that’s a very dangerous thing to do. If people disagree with you, the pitchforks come out. But his political views are his political views.

Morrissey hasn’t changed, the world has.

My favourite part :

After revealing that he hadn’t crossed paths with his former frontman in over three decades, Joyce revealed that he “didn’t really know him” back in the ’80s. “I don’t think anybody really knows him apart from himself.” :sunglasses:

Just curious, is Joyce promoting/selling something that he is on the interview circuit?

Given the way this decade is going I wouldn't be surprised to find a Smiths reunion, but it's Morrissey and Joyce.
You mean Moz and Andy Rourke? A Smiths reunion is possible but I'd give it 0.01% probability. Personally I don't have much interest in a Smiths reunion.

(1) they hate each other or are neutral at best
(2) their new music could be crap
(3) concert tickets would sell out to yappy yuppy youngsters standing with their backs to the stage taking selfies
(4) the same twats who go Garth Brooks would go to a Smiths 'event'
(5) merch bar would sell Marr solo albums signed by Moz for €250
(6) my Smiths tshirt doesn't fit me anymore
(7) my copy of The Severed Alliance wouldn't make sense anymore

Last edited:
It irks me that Joyce seems to be a good man. It would be easier if he was nasty.

"Morrissey hasn’t changed, the world has."

Wrong:

Saying things against the monarchy is left wing.

Supporting For Britain is right wing.

‘a good man’? I wonder.

I wish I could post a link, and anyone please correct me if I’m wrong. But I swear I’ve read that when Mike joined The Smiths, he was in the middle of suing one of his last bands The Hoax. Maybe should have been a red flag to M &Marr that Mike had a litigious streak. I read that in one of the books, could’ve been the Rogan book (?) which in that case maybe it’s untrue, lol.
Suing the Hoax? Ha ha ha ha for what?
Most ridiculous and hilarious comment I've read on here.
They played gigs in front of 14 people. So hey could maybe sue for £12.50 lol

Hey that’s £12.50 richer! I don’t know if my memory is correct, and as I already stated, if what I read was true.
Mike said before that after he was offered the Smiths job he told his Hoax colleagues he was leaving. A few days later he passed a music shop in Manchester and was saddened that the guitarist had sold his guitar and it was up for sale in the used guitar section

‘a good man’? I wonder.

I wish I could post a link, and anyone please correct me if I’m wrong. But I swear I’ve read that when Mike joined The Smiths, he was in the middle of suing one of his last bands The Hoax. Maybe should have been a red flag to M &Marr that Mike had a litigious streak. I read that in one of the books, could’ve been the Rogan book (?) which in that case maybe it’s untrue, lol.

Think the lawsuit was from a car accident or somethin' like that.

It's so funny reading interviews with Mike Joyce and comparing the nice man in those interviews with the Mike Joyce Morrissey saves all his vitriol for in Autobiography.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom