Fans

alma matters

At the PGH show last night, I noticed a very diverse set of fans. There were definitely the crowd of people in their 30s and 40s who were alive during The Smiths and I could tell they were there more as Smiths fans than solo fans, as their reactions were strong and more wild when Smiths songs were played.

Then I noticed younger kids who looked like they couldn't have given a shit during the pre-Quarry songs. I saw some people looking quite bored and texting during some of these. Yet they loved "First of the Gang." Then there were people like my husband who don't really care for the 2000s stuff, but were totally psyched on everything else.

I fall into the group who pretty much likes everything.

I asked this before, but it seems quite obvious there was a big shift in fans after the Lost Period. Do you know of many others who were huge Morrissey fans and big The Smiths fans, but just didn't care for Quarry and beyond? Maybe lost interest?

It was just pretty neat to me at Pittsburgh because there really was a diverse group there.

At the PGH show last night, I noticed a very diverse set of fans. There were definitely the crowd of people in their 30s and 40s who were alive during The Smiths and I could tell they were there more as Smiths fans than solo fans, as their reactions were strong and more wild when Smiths songs were played.

Then I noticed younger kids who looked like they couldn't have given a shit during the pre-Quarry songs. I saw some people looking quite bored and texting during some of these. Yet they loved "First of the Gang." Then there were people like my husband who don't really care for the 2000s stuff, but were totally psyched on everything else.

I fall into the group who pretty much likes everything.

I asked this before, but it seems quite obvious there was a big shift in fans after the Lost Period. Do you know of many others who were huge Morrissey fans and big The Smiths fans, but just didn't care for Quarry and beyond? Maybe lost interest?

It was just pretty neat to me at Pittsburgh because there really was a diverse group there.

I wouldn't say I "know" any of them but having visited this site for many years I feel like I've come across many people who didn't care for Quarry and beyond.

Usually I'm more annoyed by the 30- and 40-somethings at the shows than I am the more youthful crowd. They don't seem to be into the gig all that much. That said-- texting? I wonder what Morrissey thinks when he sees fans texting during his show, or perhaps he doesn't think anything at all and instead visualizes a giant vat full of molten lava pouring down on the crowd.

I wouldn't say I "know" any of them but having visited this site for many years I feel like I've come across many people who didn't care for Quarry and beyond.

Usually I'm more annoyed by the 30- and 40-somethings at the shows than I am the more youthful crowd. They don't seem to be into the gig all that much. That said-- texting? I wonder what Morrissey thinks when he sees fans texting during his show, or perhaps he doesn't think anything at all and instead visualizes a giant vat full of molten lava pouring down on the crowd.

Yeah, I was shocked. They were teens, and at first when I saw their phones out, I thought they were taking pictures, but they looked totally bored and uninterested. It was sad.

The 30, 40s and beyond crowd at Pittsburgh were PSYCHED....during The Smiths songs. They were dancing with the best of them. But like I said, seemed totally bored for the rest of it. I'm guessing alot of them were people who were fans back in the 80s, saw that Morrissey was playing and decided to go for old times sake, but hadn't really followed much of the new stuff. There were very few people that I saw singing along with the YOR songs and really getting into it.

My husband, for example, was a huge fan of The Smiths and early solo. He's 34 and was actually there for it all and he is who got me into it (I am a bit younger than that). He tried really hard to get into Quarry and beyond and just couldn't.

I am quite glad that Moz plays a diverse set though, because all the "groups" of fans can get to hear what they like. I would be quite upset if he only played newer stuff, because I enjoy the older stuff a bit more, as well.

Wow, that was long. I am at work and bored, so this is how I pass the hours.

The other side of this I guess are the younger fans who are into Quarry onwards more than the older songs. After the Sunderland concert last year I heard a group of lads talking, they would be about 17/18 years old, and they were saying they wished Morrissey had sung more recent songs than he did. To them the likes of You Have Killed Me and The Youngest Was The Most Loved are the "classics" that they really want him to sing in concert, they couldn't give a monkey's about Death of a Disco Dancer or The Loop.

I also think that Morrissey attracts a more "mainstream" audience now to his concerts, in the UK anyway. Back in the '90's I would guess nearly everybody who went to a Moz gig here was a "hardcore" fan so he could sing anything from his catalogue and get a fanatical reaction. Now there will be a sizeable number of people at his concerts who don't know absolutely everything he has ever released and are, I suppose understandably, somewhat disinterested when he sings twenty year old b sides etc.

Yeah, I was shocked. They were teens, and at first when I saw their phones out, I thought they were taking pictures, but they looked totally bored and uninterested. It was sad.

The 30, 40s and beyond crowd at Pittsburgh were PSYCHED....during The Smiths songs. They were dancing with the best of them. But like I said, seemed totally bored for the rest of it. I'm guessing alot of them were people who were fans back in the 80s, saw that Morrissey was playing and decided to go for old times sake, but hadn't really followed much of the new stuff. There were very few people that I saw singing along with the YOR songs and really getting into it.

My husband, for example, was a huge fan of The Smiths and early solo. He's 34 and was actually there for it all and he is who got me into it (I am a bit younger than that). He tried really hard to get into Quarry and beyond and just couldn't.

I am quite glad that Moz plays a diverse set though, because all the "groups" of fans can get to hear what they like. I would be quite upset if he only played newer stuff, because I enjoy the older stuff a bit more, as well.

Wow, that was long. I am at work and bored, so this is how I pass the hours.

Haha, yeah, there you go-- into it during The Smiths songs.

It happens at lots of gigs from 80s and 90s bands. At New Order shows the crowd usually goes nuts for "True Faith" and the like but wander off for beers during the obscure album tracks.

For this reason I really dread going to gigs now. I just don't know how you can go to a concert and stand there like you're on the corner waiting to catch the crosstown local bus. Maybe there's no need to pogo around and scream like a Jonas Brothers fan but, come on, at least sway or nod your head or whatever. Tap your feet! Sing the words! Shut off your cell phone! Pretend life hasn't mummified you in boredom! And if this isn't possible sober... :rolleyes:

well i wouldnt gerneralize to much that all younger fans are only into the quarry onwards...i have much encounterted the opposite that a lot of younger fans are more into the smiths than morrissey solo...
and being just as informed as the older fans about his backcatalogue..even though they werent there at the concerts then as being either t too young or not even born
age sys nothing about how dedicated a person is to a artist
and on the other hand have seen much of the older fans being quite held back at the concert, arms folded
..I remember rather the thirtysomething texting or hanging at the bar..than the teenagers.;)
t

Last edited:
Please do . Show a bit of respect.

Nothing to do with Morrissey, but I really despise cell phones. They've ruined society. I own one, yes, it's my only phone, as I don't have a land line, but I don't abuse it. Some people are so attached to their phone it is the only thing they care about. I find little more vile and offensive than when I am sitting in the room with someone and they can't take their eyes and hands off their phone.

Nothing to do with Morrissey, but I really despise cell phones. They've ruined society. I own one, yes, it's my only phone, as I don't have a land line, but I don't abuse it. Some people are so attached to their phone it is the only thing they care about. I find little more vile and offensive than when I am sitting in the room with someone and they can't take their eyes and hands off their phone.

It just seems plain rude to be texting/calling when supposedly watching a gig.

That said-- texting? I wonder what Morrissey thinks when he sees fans texting during his show, or perhaps he doesn't think anything at all and instead visualizes a giant vat full of molten lava pouring down on the crowd.

Ugh....this drives me nuts too. I've attended pro golf events.....no cell phones allowed. You have to "check" them at the front gate and pick them up afterwards. I wish they'd do that at all concerts!

At the Wellmont show, some guy next to me was text'ing all night long. And people are snapping pics too. Watch the show and enjoy it!

The other side of this I guess are the younger fans who are into Quarry onwards more than the older songs. After the Sunderland concert last year I heard a group of lads talking, they would be about 17/18 years old, and they were saying they wished Morrissey had sung more recent songs than he did. To them the likes of You Have Killed Me and The Youngest Was The Most Loved are the "classics" that they really want him to sing in concert, they couldn't give a monkey's about Death of a Disco Dancer or The Loop.

I also think that Morrissey attracts a more "mainstream" audience now to his concerts, in the UK anyway. Back in the '90's I would guess nearly everybody who went to a Moz gig here was a "hardcore" fan so he could sing anything from his catalogue and get a fanatical reaction. Now there will be a sizeable number of people at his concerts who don't know absolutely everything he has ever released and are, I suppose understandably, somewhat disinterested when he sings twenty year old b sides etc.

I would be considered a 'younger' fan but I admit I like the Smiths songs/early solo songs better than the new stuff. But that doesnt mean I would be bored to hear the YOR stuff. Its still an expirience just to be there so I would NOT be bored.:guitar:

Ugh....this drives me nuts too. I've attended pro golf events.....no cell phones allowed. You have to "check" them at the front gate and pick them up afterwards. I wish they'd do that at all concerts!

Me too.

It just seems plain rude to be texting/calling when supposedly watching a gig.

I guess unless you're savvy enough to be able to text a setlist. That might be the only exception. I think casual cell phone use around other people in your company is completely rude, concerts included.

Er, I'm in that statistical pool of a bigger Smiths fan, an early era Morrissey fan, and not as much post Quarry.
Stiil, I'd rather see the older crowd intently enjoying the concert standing (doesn't necessarily mean boredom), than the very youth texting.

Back
Top Bottom