Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE!

... or IOW, the thread where everyone shats on music that I like

This thread sucks.

You hear that? You hear that?! Because that's what it sounds like when doves cry.

Re: Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE

Patti Smith. She read a translation of Illuminations when she was thirteen and has lived off of it ever since.

Richard Hell, Television, The Ramones, The Stooges, MC5, The Pistols, The Dolls, Zappa, Bowie, etc.

Re: Famous, well-respected, hall-of-fame-type, legendary artists....... that you HATE

Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Beatles
Bruce Springsteen
Sonic Youth
Bob Dylan

I subscribe the "even a broken clock is right twice a day" theory of music--most bands have at least one or two tracks that I'll allow are quite good (which is why I took Elton John and Sting off my original list). But the aforementioned have no redeeming qualities, in my opinion. No, not even the precious beloved Beatles.

--jeniphir

What, you can't find even one or two Beatles songs who are at least "quite good"? You have exacting standards. :) Either that, or you haven't heard enough of the Beatles.

Dylan made some wonderful songs, and continues to do so(I haven't heard his latest album, but "Workingman's Blues #2" off "Modern Times" was sublime) but he is undoubtedly the most over-rated songwriter of all time.

Oh, and Michael Jackson. WHY?
To misquote somebody, I think all "dance" music is just a sad accident.
His voice is so horribly bland.

The Beatles.

The Beatles are disgusting. It's just a shame that the other two haven't yet been gunned down. And Yoko, just for fun.

As I said, I can't stand the Beatles either. I find them extremely boring.

I also hate post-Achtung Baby U2. Oasis, never understood the big fuss about them.

Quite honestly, I simply find it hard to believe that anyone who genuinely likes guitar-based pop music can find nothing whatsoever to like in The Beatles, unless they've really just shut the door to it and stopped listening.

OK, if you're a metalhead, or strictly a hip hop fan, or into cruel industrial noise, but as a Morrissey fan? Just makes no sense to me. I'm with EPbabe on U2 though, only I'd make that "post-Rattle and Hum".

Quite honestly, I simply find it hard to believe that anyone who genuinely likes guitar-based pop music can find nothing whatsoever to like in The Beatles, unless they've really just shut the door to it and stopped listening.

OK, if you're a metalhead, or strictly a hip hop fan, or into cruel industrial noise, but as a Morrissey fan? Just makes no sense to me. I'm with EPbabe on U2 though, only I'd make that "post-Rattle and Hum".

Agreed, there'd never been a The Smiths without The Beatles, no doubt.

And as for U2 i'd make that "post-Unforgettable Fire".

Agreed, there'd never been a The Smiths without The Beatles, no doubt.

indeed.It's mystifying how people can like pop music and not appreciate The Beatles :crazy:

I think the Beatles have been massively over-exposed to people, and this turns some against them. Also, indie snobs hate the idea of liking commercially popular music, so will say they dislike it regardless.
Having said that, I don't care much for the Beatles mainly because I don't like Lennon's voice (I find it quite thin and cold sounding) and I find lots (but not all) of the lyrics quite cliched.
But some (if not most) of the actual music they made was just phenomenal. They had two brilliant songwriters plus George Harrison wrote some good stuff too.

If Morrissey's band could make music as consistently melodic, brilliantly arranged, and inventive as the Beatles, Moz fans would declare it easily his very best stuff.

Agreed. For me I don't really find Oasis and Led Zep that interesting given their status BUT I understand why they are both so loved and see their contribution to music history, and of course I can't deny that some of their songs are just plain good if a little dull for me.

U friggin' 2...

Where are these songs that the two 'phenomenal' song writers penned?

They read like the scribbles of an upset ten year old.

I truly HATE Green Day, U2, Metallica and Radiohead.
Sorry Radiohead fans, for me they're simply boooooring.

Back
Top Bottom