Factory pressed bootlegs question

Unlikely One

I asked about these a while ago but never really got any definitive answer so here goes again.

When buying factory pressed bootlegs how can you tell if its the real deal or an imitation cdr. Obviously some are quite clearly the real thing but others seem to fall into a grey area. With all the improvements in printing techniques it is now possible for some to create very good looking cds without going through the expensive factory pressing route. So whats to stop bootleggers booting bootlegs if you see what I mean.

I had a look at a couple of boots in my local shop and I just had a funny feeling they may have been copies or suchlike despite the good quality artwork, cd etc. In comparison to green energy for example which is a beautifully made boot, some seem to be less well made with just text printed on the cd. I know lots of cds are just shiny circles with text on but how can you tell an originally pressed bootleg. Is there any resource which shows moz bootleg cds as they appear in original form.

Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers

I asked about these a while ago but never really got any definitive answer so here goes again.

When buying factory pressed bootlegs how can you tell if its the real deal or an imitation cdr. Obviously some are quite clearly the real thing but others seem to fall into a grey area. With all the improvements in printing techniques it is now possible for some to create very good looking cds without going through the expensive factory pressing route. So whats to stop bootleggers booting bootlegs if you see what I mean.

I had a look at a couple of boots in my local shop and I just had a funny feeling they may have been copies or suchlike despite the good quality artwork, cd etc. In comparison to green energy for example which is a beautifully made boot, some seem to be less well made with just text printed on the cd. I know lots of cds are just shiny circles with text on but how can you tell an originally pressed bootleg. Is there any resource which shows moz bootleg cds as they appear in original form.

Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers
They should be silver on the underside...like a retail album, they should look like all your other albums....and should look like they've been pressed in a factory, (good quality covers printing and so on) not like someone used their printer and and a c.d from a 50 pack...

glu, what underside colour are your cdr's?

uo, it's very difficult these days but you can usually tell by the packaging, check out the cover, or more to the point the underside of the cover, most orig pressed boots come with both side printed inserts on card not photo type paper. I suppose your best bet would be to ask on here for scans of the boots you are after, so you've a better idea if you're gonna get the real thing?

love

Grim

I've spent alot of my life inside record stores and at record fairs. I have never seen a CD-R that even remotely fooled me for a CD ever.

Thanks for your thoughts folks. I know to those constantly syrrounded by discs it may seem easy, but when you feel a little something is not quite right and are about to hand over some hard earned cash you dont want to be diddled. We'll see where it takes us.

Similarly I was reading on smithstorrents about cds circulating with apparent "rough mixes" and "studio sessions" which are actually just originals gone through the audio mangle so there are always people willing to pass things off as something else.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom