F. Dodwell / Music-News: "New Morrissey track Bonfire of Teenagers: It's okay to be angry about injustice" (July 6, 2022)

Morrissey5.jpg

New Morrissey track Bonfire of Teenagers: It's okay to be angry about injustice.

Excerpt:
While the Mancunian Oasis anthem 'Don't Look Back In Anger' (which is mentioned in the song lyrics) can perhaps be soothing to many at such a time, Morrissey instead takes his listeners aside and assures them that yes, it is absolutely okay to be angry about this; yes, sometimes anger is a very normal, human response to hurt, pain, death and tragedy.

FWD.

See also the NME story, link posted by several:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Coming across well" doesn't mean "being clearly understood", though - it means giving a positive impression / saying something likely to be interpreted in a positive light. That was my meaning, and it had everything to do with his choice of words.

Ok fine. We’re talking about different things then.

We were warned even against saying the i-word – Islamist. Manchester mayor Andy Burnham damned the arena atrocity as the work of an ‘extremist’, prompting Morrissey to ask: ‘An extreme what? An extreme rabbit?’ When then UKIP leader Paul Nuttall said a week after the slaughter that politicians should have ‘the courage’ to name the problem, to call it ‘Islamist extremism’, he was roundly denounced. It is ‘completely outrageous’ to use the word Islamist in relation to this attack, said Green MP Caroline Lucas. Tell that to the mass murderer himself, Salman Abedi, whose intent was clear as day: to kill as many free young citizens as possible in the name of the Islamist ideology.

Don’t look back in anger, don’t feel strong emotions, don’t say the word ‘Islamist’ – that was the creepy response of the powers-that-be to one of the worst assaults in living memory on the youth of this country. We had the perverse situation where almost instantaneously the Twitterati was saying ‘Let’s not risk an outbreak of Islamophobia by overreacting to this attack’. Parents were picking nails from their children’s faces and these people were talking about Islamophobia. The hours and days after this atrocity provided one of the starkest and most disturbing insights into the moral cowardice of the new elites, who are so desperate to maintain the phoney peace of multiculturalism than they will fully turn their heads away from the violent tensions in our society and from the hateful scourge of Islamist extremism.
It's disgusting, really. They actually did celebrate 9/11 here when it happened. When Trump said they were dancing in the streets in celebration outside their mosques in NYC, he wasn't lying, but the media said he was. I have friends in NYC who told me about it long before he said that. It's not Islamaphobic to be rightfully furious at these actions and to express that anger, and also feel that anger toward other Muslims who support this violence.

It's disgusting, really. They actually did celebrate 9/11 here when it happened. When Trump said they were dancing in the streets in celebration outside their mosques in NYC, he wasn't lying, but the media said he was. I have friends in NYC who told me about it long before he said that. It's not Islamaphobic to be rightfully furious at these actions and to express that anger, and also feel that anger toward other Muslims who support this violence.

That was another Trump lie, an urban myth. Stop spreading hateful misinformation.

It's been debunked. And lies from a declared racist such as yourself need to be shut down.
You can't shut me down and you can't shut down Morrissey either, when he said morons, he obviously meant it in the most literal way possible. I agree with him. I am happy there are people who will still say what's on their mind, despite the constant push for political correctness.

You can't shut me down and you can't shut down Morrissey either, when he said morons, he obviously meant it in the most literal way possible. I agree with him. I am happy there are people who will still say what's on their mind, despite the constant push for political correctness.

You are spouting lies. Morrissey is expressing himself. There's a difference.

And yet you continue interpret things incorrectly. He wasn't/isn't referring to the genuine mourners, i.e. those who lost family members at the Arena. Just how dense are you? Go and sit down & have a think.
There were parents/family members/loved ones of those killed at the vigils. Also many who were injured or caught up in the attack, including emergency services who attended what must have been hell on earth.

Hence, Morrissey is calling all of these people silly swaying morons.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom