F. Dodwell / Music-News: "New Morrissey track Bonfire of Teenagers: It's okay to be angry about injustice" (July 6, 2022)

Morrissey5.jpg

New Morrissey track Bonfire of Teenagers: It's okay to be angry about injustice.

Excerpt:
While the Mancunian Oasis anthem 'Don't Look Back In Anger' (which is mentioned in the song lyrics) can perhaps be soothing to many at such a time, Morrissey instead takes his listeners aside and assures them that yes, it is absolutely okay to be angry about this; yes, sometimes anger is a very normal, human response to hurt, pain, death and tragedy.

FWD.

See also the NME story, link posted by several:

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem was never with Morrissey possibly criticising the song. My problem was with him calling those that came together and grieved “morons”.
And yet you continue interpret things incorrectly. He wasn't/isn't referring to the genuine mourners, i.e. those who lost family members at the Arena. Just how dense are you? Go and sit down & have a think.

Except for the massive album sales, the sold out mega gigs, the relevance to people of all ages, the wit, the love they receive from everyone from the media to regular people, the songs… And I’m mainly speaking of Liam now.
All true this. And well put.
I don’t think anyone a few years ago foresee the global concert sales and indeed album sales Liam would go on to enjoy. Quite a world away from Beady Eye

Surely it’s been clear for the past 40 years that Morrissey is a massive misanthrope who thinks almost every human that has ever walked the Earth is a moron.

As Noel said after drinking with Moz for an evening in L.A (& being made to pay the tab): “He hasn’t got a nice word to say about ANYONE!”
Moz has quite often said nice things about people though. Usually on Morrissey central, sometimes even while they are still alive.

Lennon's song Imagine is the woke ramblings of a child. In this day and age he'd be an insufferable prick. One could argue he had a head start on it and Julian Lennon could testify to it.

Beautiful song though.

My problem was never with Morrissey possibly criticising the song. My problem was with him calling those that came together and grieved “morons”.
And yet you continue interpret things incorrectly. He wasn't/isn't referring to the genuine mourners, i.e. those who lost family members at the Arena. Just how dense are you? Go and sit down & have a think.

‘mourners’ …. sing and sway ……

I don’t think anyone a few years ago foresee the global concert sales and indeed album sales Liam would go on to enjoy. Quite a world away from Beady Eye

I agree, it's incredible what he's done since binning Beady Eye. His first ever solo gig at the Ritz (where all proceeds went to the terror attack fund) in 2017 looked absolutely mental and he's moved from The Ritz to Stadiums and 2 nights at Knebworth in 5 years.

It’s remarkable. And my god, is he worth it.

You have nothing to say, in any thread on this forum, and naturally resort to name-calling. And like someone said, who died and made you the correct interpreter of M’s lyrics? I have my theory Re the BOT lyrics, and it may be far from Moz’ true meaning, but at least it’s just that - a theory.

Last edited:

I missed the part about "genuine" mourners in the lyrics. Where is it? Who died and made you the correct interpreter of Moz lyrics?

And yes that is Liam's connection and Morrissey has his with is fandom. Are we really going to compare fandoms as if we're in some sort of allegiance race? On one hand Liam could fill an arena the size of a small nation if we're talking bums on seats, but if those bums have brains then it's Morrissey who they're turning to for songs that may save their lives.
I just rattled off a list of things Morrissey could, potentially, be jealous of as a response to what someone else said. We all know he loves record sales, attendance figures and praise in general.

The singing at the vigil was spontaneous and to me showed Mancunians pulling together at a time of tragedy with a Mancunian song. I don't think they were saying "we aren't angry" about what happened by joining in with the singing and I don't think they deserve to be labelled "silly" and "morons" as per the song lyrics.

It was a typical western/first world gesture of pretending that all different races and creeds really do get on and co-exist in this wonderful 70's Coca-Cola hippy nonsense.

If he literally is referring to CM and AG, I take back every single word I’ve said! 😅

I believe he is. The acts and audience are singing and swaying at the concert, not at the vigil as it was previously thought was the target of his criticism. Interesting that the words were displayed to make sure everyone sang along.

Anyway, I could imagine him watching this and putting pen to paper, and BoT was born.

I believe he is. The acts and audience are singing and swaying at the concert, not at the vigil as it was previously thought was the target of his criticism. Interesting that the words were displayed to make sure everyone sang along.

Anyway, I could imagine him watching this and putting pen to paper, and BoT was born.

You make a strong case. You could very well be right. I hope you are.

You make a strong case. You could very well be right. I hope you are.

How's that any different? It's still denigrating the people of Manchester peacefully coming together to try and heal. What does Morrissey want - an angry mob setting fire to things? Maybe beating up people who look similar to the murderers? More anger isn't going to solve anything.

Liam, surely. Noel will probably be very disappointed to find that one of his all-time biggest heroes dismissed his song and what it has meant to people after the tragedy that happened. Either that or he won’t give a shit, knowing Moz.
Well take your blankie and go weep on your pillow for him. Your whining here in the last week is completely insufferable.

I don't recall Morrissey writing any songs about the London Underground bombings. He's just desperate to get his name in the papers in lieu of record sales.

How's that any different? It's still denigrating the people of Manchester peacefully coming together to try and heal. What does Morrissey want - an angry mob setting fire to things? Maybe beating up people who look similar to the murderers? More anger isn't going to solve anything.

Less mass immigration would be good. Recognizing, Islam probably isn't a great religion to import into the west.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom