F. Dodwell / Music-News: "New Morrissey track Bonfire of Teenagers: It's okay to be angry about injustice" (July 6, 2022)

Morrissey5.jpg

New Morrissey track Bonfire of Teenagers: It's okay to be angry about injustice.

Excerpt:
While the Mancunian Oasis anthem 'Don't Look Back In Anger' (which is mentioned in the song lyrics) can perhaps be soothing to many at such a time, Morrissey instead takes his listeners aside and assures them that yes, it is absolutely okay to be angry about this; yes, sometimes anger is a very normal, human response to hurt, pain, death and tragedy.

FWD.

See also the NME story, link posted by several:

Last edited by a moderator:
Free speech is free speech and essentially that’s the point he’s making…. Part of me can’t help thinking that perhaps we doesn’t want a label or even to make another album after this…. 🪐

And what kind of message would he be sending if he didn’t play it?

Seems to be a case of .. damned if he does, damned if doesn’t.
Of course he’s going to bloody play it.

If it was actually about empathy and togetherness with his fellow Mancunians, he would in the encore dedicate There Is A Light That Never Goes Out to the 22 victims and their families. Nothing else is going to be good enough now.

Only Morrissey could be in such a precarious position before a long awaited ‘homecoming’ show

Anger is very much okay. It’s more than okay, it is expected and very healthy. But not when it’s directed at the grieving.
I said too much on this so I won't say too much more. I wish not to bore people to death- it's a real shame Fiasco Dodwell doesn't show the same consideration

I read her article and she is as dumb as the Britain first people. Most of us agree the bomber was scum, lots of us agree there should be more done with immigration etc
I will feel a sense of anger every time this Manchester bombing is mentioned, lots of us will,
In fact, some of us, like M, are in touch with a type of anger Fiasco Dodwell is too emotionally "vanilla' to ever imagine
However, we direct our anger at the correct targets.
Again, the funny thing about the song is it shows M to so completely jealous of Lian and Oasis. That's what really makes me laugh,

I have to say even when I'm tired and can't sleep and have a blurry-eyed peep at M Solo , when I'm as tired as death. Even then, mostly when I leave a comment, it has way more insight and better writing than anything Drabwell can manage
M dear, you really are wasting your money with that one. I'll do you articles from now on, if you like. They will at least have a sense more attack than a million Fiasco Drabwells

Edit-
Im not sure he will play it in Manc, if the reviews are too damaging

He bottled out of playing Israel in Ireland and Scotland, where he knew he would get monstered

The anxiety-driven clamour for tickets - whilst already knowing the album's title & topic a year ago would make people jibbering about it now a tiny bit daft (not to mention the record number of new accounts here just to seek ticket & gig information). The mild 'hysteria' about ticket purchasing would probably indicate that there won't be some mass protest if he sings it in Manchester.

SAM:
‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ the track is magnificent, but you must be expecting some manufactured paranoia … the usual ‘you can’t sing about THAT’ pearl fumblers.
M:
… because?
SAM:
It’s about the Manchester Arena Bombing.
M:
It’s about the kids who were murdered, yes. We are not encouraged to look beneath the surface because it’s dark and hidden. But the song is anti-terror, and anyone who finds that offensive can only be devoid of personal morality. As your brother once said to me, the Manchester Arena Bombing was Britain’s 9/11. We should appreciate anyone who asks questions.

Oh look, he said (quoted actually) the thing a year ago that's terrible now when said live.
Fickle.
FWD.
To be fair he should sell out big venues, no?
He's been a pop artist for longer than Justin Bieber has been breathing, His gigs aren't huge venues - say Stone Roses etc and he doesn't play that often there.
I mean, he only played a few gigs on the last tour, didn't he?
Im not sure he sold them out either, did he? I don't actually care if he does or not but I'm happy for him if he did
I am curious " record number of new accounts" is that true?
It doesn't seem half as busy, as say 2011

The singing at the vigil was spontaneous and to me showed Mancunians pulling together at a time of tragedy with a Mancunian song. I don't think they were saying "we aren't angry" about what happened by joining in with the singing and I don't think they deserve to be labelled "silly" and "morons" as per the song lyrics.

But is Morrissey singing about the vigil ?

As someone pointed out in another thread ….

‘mourners’

He's been a pop artist for longer than Justin Bieber has been breathing, His gigs aren't huge venues - say Stone Roses etc and he doesn't play that often there.
Im not sure he sold them out either, did he? I don't actually care if he does or not but I'm happy for him if he did
When the tickets for the UK were announced, yes that is accurate (on a daily count). I wouldn't have stated it otherwise.
You can see the 'angst' playing out in the ridiculous amount of 'pre-sale code' posts (which pervaded through FB too). Having a flurry of members doesn't necessarily relate at all to frequency, amount of posts nor any perceived busyness though.
Regards,
FWD.

The song is so blah, who really cares? Be angry, be contrarian, be the one sane voice in this crazy world. But be, for the love of God, more creative than "the morons sing and sway."

What was Morrissey’s intention?

I'm not sure he sold them out either, did he? I don't actually care if he does or not but I'm happy for him if he did
I get hassled for repeating this but it seems relevant to your questions.
Pre winter 2018, he had a UK live fanbase of around 60,000 including a London fanbase of around 20,000 (judging by the venues he played on a typical tour in the previous ten years or so).
In 2018 and 2019 for reasons that have been repeated ad nauseam, the live UK fanbase dropped right down to around 20,000. These numbers could be spread across however many nights at various size venues but the totals all add up pretty well. Ticket prices for the coming autumn UK tour (with around 20,000 seats) are now falling back down to face value.
The 2020 UK tour was just two arenas, London and Leeds, both perhaps around half full. Covid was kicking in on the actual dates but wasn't known about in the first few weeks of ticket sales, when most are usually bought.

Borrissey and Dorrissey have such a lot in common at the present don’t ya think ?
Deluded liars the pair of them.

Benny 🇬🇧 :knife:

Thought: All the while he's asking for it, perhaps he's wasting his time (lessening his chances of a record deal), maybe no one's going to let him in. And then frankly it all descends into war between my beloved Morrissey and the outside world. Or perhaps I am just crying with envy over all of this, given who I am.

Oh it’s all old hat to him, his first war cry was ‘Hand In Glove’, and he’s been fighting ever since.

:cool:

I think we focused too much on the terrorist attacks in Manchester. The song is about it of course, but I think the message is more universal. It is not only Don't look back in anger, it is also Lennon's Imagine, drawing with chalk on the sidewalks after many other terrorist attacks. These are nice gestures, but they won't fix the world . :(
Agreed. Is it not OK to be angry about such things? Particularly if you grew up in the city where the attack took place?

If the killer who shot all the people in the Christchurch mosque attack were to ever be released and tried walking down the street he wouldn't last long. Good.

Agreed. Is it not OK to be angry about such things? Particularly if you grew up in the city where the attack took place?

If the killer who shot all the people in the Christchurch mosque attack were to ever be released and tried walking down the street he wouldn't last long. Good.
not ok to be angry. This makes you racist or partial. You must sing kumbaya and wait for it to happen again. As it will.

Morrissey can be very 'in your face' about things. I don't know why anyone expected this to be different. I don't need Fiona the Apologist explaining it to me, because there is nothing to explain or apologize for. This is where we are in society now, if someone has a different opinion than you, you are automatic enemies. I wish she would stop trying to explain Morrissey, because it implies there is something to explain, there isn't. It implies he cannot speak for himself, but he can and he has.

I said too much on this so I won't say too much more. I wish not to bore people to death- it's a real shame Fiasco Dodwell doesn't show the same consideration

I read her article and she is as dumb as the Britain first people. Most of us agree the bomber was scum, lots of us agree there should be more done with immigration etc
I will feel a sense of anger every time this Manchester bombing is mentioned, lots of us will,
In fact, some of us, like M, are in touch with a type of anger Fiasco Dodwell is too emotionally "vanilla' to ever imagine
However, we direct our anger at the correct targets.
Again, the funny thing about the song is it shows M to so completely jealous of Lian and Oasis. That's what really makes me laugh,

I have to say even when I'm tired and can't sleep and have a blurry-eyed peep at M Solo , when I'm as tired as death. Even then, mostly when I leave a comment, it has way more insight and better writing than anything Drabwell can manage
M dear, you really are wasting your money with that one. I'll do you articles from now on, if you like. They will at least have a sense more attack than a million Fiasco Drabwells

Edit-
Im not sure he will play it in Manc, if the reviews are too damaging

He bottled out of playing Israel in Ireland and Scotland, where he knew he would get monstered
There is absolutely zero indication he is jealous of Oasis or Liam, there isn't any reason to be.

He hasn't learned a thing, and neither has she. The usual from someone who was once told she could write, attempting to justify a ham-fisted mess of a song. And as for injustice, is 'go easy on the killer' what she's referring to here?
That's Public Opinion for you in certain quarters at least from the liberals and others.....

Obviously EVERYONE does NOT go easy on the killer, which is the point of those lyrics. Basically.
An excellent song. Truly !

Hazard x

Again, not a fan of the vest look, it did work for the Thin White Duke, hard to pull off.

btw Fiona’s correct. But that’s not to say that anger is the answer.

The vest looks amazing!!!!!
Though I am VERY critical of his blonde hair in the previous gig, but I do not know if it was an optical illusion or if he really became a clone of Billy Idol for a day (thankfully his hair returned in the new photos!).

Other than that, I liked the lyrics of Bonfire... maybe because I don't like Oasis... maybe because the reaction was absurd and someone has to say "stop it!".

"And the pain was enough to make a shy, bald, Buddhist reflect
And plan a mass murder"

People can get angry when extremists kill people simply because they are fanatics.

I remembered the Kalachakra Tantra of Buddhism, mostly Tibetan Buddhism...
The Tibetan Buddhists did their best (and managed to do it) to have excellent relations with the Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church, the Jewish, the Hinduist, the Sikhs, the practitioners of Hinduism, the practitioners of different aboriginal American religions, the practitioners of different African religions and even scientists who are 100% atheist (the Dalai Lama and leaders of other schools have hired scientists to teach the monks about modern science, under the idea that science is good and a very valid area of knowledge)... But not with fanatics who have no respect for those who have a different idea and may decide to kill them.

https://wikiislam.net/wiki/Muhammad_in_the_Kalachakra_Tantra -----> I did not investigate the whole of this wiki and I think it is mostly Islamophobic bullshit, but the specific article is 100% true about the contents of the Kalachakra when it comes to an extremist belief.

So I do not see a difference between Bonfire and, say, his support of BLM or songs like "Ganglord"... It's as simple as stating "no person has the divine or political authority to kill other people because of their race, beliefs, religion or because the other person thinks different".

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom