F. Dodwell / Music-News: "New Morrissey track Bonfire of Teenagers: It's okay to be angry about injustice" (July 6, 2022)

Morrissey5.jpg

New Morrissey track Bonfire of Teenagers: It's okay to be angry about injustice.

Excerpt:
While the Mancunian Oasis anthem 'Don't Look Back In Anger' (which is mentioned in the song lyrics) can perhaps be soothing to many at such a time, Morrissey instead takes his listeners aside and assures them that yes, it is absolutely okay to be angry about this; yes, sometimes anger is a very normal, human response to hurt, pain, death and tragedy.

FWD.

See also the NME story, link posted by several:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not find sympathetic words to describe the mourners instead of “silly” and “morons”? Didn’t it used to take guts to be gentle and kind?

If this is the same article that’s been posted already in another thread, then I’ll give credit to the NME for at least providing videos of the live songs.
For the lyrics alone do not fully express the intention of the song.
It is.
FWD.

He’s been setting traps since suggesting to Marr that they do a cover of ‘I want a Boy for my Birthday’ and so on.

He’s a big boy now, and he’s an artist that knows that there may be consequences in the way that he needs to express himself.
As a fan, I can broadly live with those consequences. But Morrissey doesn’t seem ‘a big boy’: we both know we’ll never hear the last of it if/when he finally manages to fundamentally f*** his recording career up.

Why not find sympathetic words to describe the mourners instead of “silly” and “morons”? Didn’t it used to take guts to be gentle and kind?

I find it hard to imagine that a person that’s overcome with the emotions of grief and anger
after losing a child would be in the state of mind to be able to sympathize with people that they may believe are telling them to not be angry and to just move on.

Times change.

"When you laugh about people who feel so
Very lonely
Their only desire is to die
Well, I'm afraid
It doesn't make me smile" 1985

"If you're gonna kill yourself
Then for god's sake
Just kill yourself" 2020

The anxiety-driven clamour for tickets - whilst already knowing the album's title & topic a year ago would make people jibbering about it now a tiny bit daft (not to mention the record number of new accounts here just to seek ticket & gig information). The mild 'hysteria' about ticket purchasing would probably indicate that there won't be some mass protest if he sings it in Manchester.

SAM:
‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ the track is magnificent, but you must be expecting some manufactured paranoia … the usual ‘you can’t sing about THAT’ pearl fumblers.
M:
… because?
SAM:
It’s about the Manchester Arena Bombing.
M:
It’s about the kids who were murdered, yes. We are not encouraged to look beneath the surface because it’s dark and hidden. But the song is anti-terror, and anyone who finds that offensive can only be devoid of personal morality. As your brother once said to me, the Manchester Arena Bombing was Britain’s 9/11. We should appreciate anyone who asks questions.

Oh look, he said (quoted actually) the thing a year ago that's terrible now when said live.
Fickle.
FWD.

Times change.

"When you laugh about people who feel so
Very lonely
Their only desire is to die
Well, I'm afraid
It doesn't make me smile" 1985

"If you're gonna kill yourself
Then for god's sake
Just kill yourself" 2020

To reword an old phrase….

Different times call for different measures.

Reads like the promotional note of the record company (which does not exist) that you once found in the 80s and 90s with promo copies. Music-News.Com does not disappoint its clients. Never.

Moz is a outsider.
He's different.
He ain't gonna convey the mainstream sentiments.
He ain't gonna be told to go along with the mainstream
sentiments either.
He honored those victims in his own way and with his
own emotions.

The song has a great title, but is otherwise dreadful. Not because of what it's trying to say, but because of the artless, tuneless way it says it. No nuance, no metaphor, no exciting use of language, not even a particularly interesting point of view. Please try harder, Morrissey.

Moz is a outsider.
He's different.
He ain't gonna convey the mainstream sentiments.
He ain't gonna be told to go along with the mainstream
sentiments either.
He honored those victims in his own way and with his
own emotions.
Not to mention people could just get the f*** over it? One poster in particular above is in 2-3 different threads clutching his pearls over these lyrics. I don’t need to sign off on every sentiment an artist has to say. You can even not like it, but get the f*** over it because their message board shit posting doesn’t erase the song. This forum is overwhelmingly negative.

The anxiety-driven clamour for tickets - whilst already knowing the album's title & topic a year ago would make people jibbering about it now a tiny bit daft (not to mention the record number of new accounts here just to seek ticket & gig information). The mild 'hysteria' about ticket purchasing would probably indicate that there won't be some mass protest if he sings it in Manchester.

SAM:
‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ the track is magnificent, but you must be expecting some manufactured paranoia … the usual ‘you can’t sing about THAT’ pearl fumblers.
M:
… because?
SAM:
It’s about the Manchester Arena Bombing.
M:
It’s about the kids who were murdered, yes. We are not encouraged to look beneath the surface because it’s dark and hidden. But the song is anti-terror, and anyone who finds that offensive can only be devoid of personal morality. As your brother once said to me, the Manchester Arena Bombing was Britain’s 9/11. We should appreciate anyone who asks questions.

Oh look, he said (quoted actually) the thing a year ago that's terrible now when said live.
Fickle.
FWD.
I don’t think that will be at the centre of the controversy I anticipate, if he plays it in Manchester. In fact, that would be the point most Mancs would likely cohere on.

I think Moz is asking for it. He wants controversy. He wants to draw attention to himself through controversy. He methodically bakes it into the cake, shoves it in your face, and you eat it and call it art. He's using the Manchester bombing to promote, promote, promote. Where's the personal morality in that?

The singing at the vigil was spontaneous and to me showed Mancunians pulling together at a time of tragedy with a Mancunian song. I don't think they were saying "we aren't angry" about what happened by joining in with the singing and I don't think they deserve to be labelled "silly" and "morons" as per the song lyrics.
That's exactly how I saw it. It was a spontaneous showing of solidarity and support. What they sang was of lesser importance than why they were singing together. To make some negative value judgment on the song choice at best seems to miss the point and at worst seems bitter and petty. Had they sung a Morrissey-approved song or even better one of his, would they still be silly morons?

Last edited:
View attachment 82617

New Morrissey track Bonfire of Teenagers: It's okay to be angry about injustice.

Excerpt:
While the Mancunian Oasis anthem 'Don't Look Back In Anger' (which is mentioned in the song lyrics) can perhaps be soothing to many at such a time, Morrissey instead takes his listeners aside and assures them that yes, it is absolutely okay to be angry about this; yes, sometimes anger is a very normal, human response to hurt, pain, death and tragedy.

FWD.

OMG, he looks so obergeil in this picture. :hearteyes::horny:
Everything's right here. Even the Punk Haircut! :love:

Don't let politicians or the media tell you who you have to mourn for and feel angry at. Suppressed anger caused by silence will lead to depression and self-accusation. Someone has to suggest to the mourners a way out of mourning coz above-mentioned groups won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly how I saw it. It was a spontaneous showing of solidarity and support. What they sang was of lesser importance than why they were singing together. To make some negative value judgment on the song choice at best seems to miss the point and at worst seems bitter and petty. Had they sung a Morrissey-approved song or even better one of his, would they still be silly morons?
100% agreement. Insult to majesty, quoting the plain lads from Oasis, not him. I hope it stays quiet right now at the opening ceremony of the Women's Euro at Old Trafford.

I think Moz is asking for it. He wants controversy. He wants to draw attention to himself through controversy. He methodically bakes it into the cake, shoves it in your face, and you eat it and call it art. He's using the Manchester bombing to promote, promote, promote. Where's the personal morality in that?
Thought: All the while he's asking for it, perhaps he's wasting his time (lessening his chances of a record deal), maybe no one's going to let him in. And then frankly it all descends into war between my beloved Morrissey and the outside world. Or perhaps I am just crying with envy over all of this, given who I am.

Fake mindreader.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom