Express: "The Smiths split ‘bruised me emotionally, it turned to s*** with Morrissey’ – Johnny Marr" via Uncut Magazine (January 13, 2022)

the-smith-Morrissey-johnny-marr-1549398~2.jpg

By George Simpson.

"JOHNNY MARR has been brutally honest about his painful memories from The Smiths break-up and shared how he talks to everyone from his incredible career except for Morrissey."

Excerpt:

Speaking in a new interview with Uncut, the 58-year-old said: “[The Smiths are] one of the things I’m proudest of. One of the things that I must be proud about – not only myself but the whole group, because that was our MO. Whatever s*** was going on, nothing got in the way of what was coming out of speakers – and there’s a lot to get in the way.

“It’s a simplistic way of putting it, but one of the reasons I’ve been in so many bands was because I wanted to be loyal to them. It won’t come as any surprise when I say that I’m really close with everyone I’ve worked with – except for the obvious one. And that isn’t that much of a surprise because we’re so different, me and Morrissey. But all of these different musicians, I can pick up the phone to anyone, and just pick up from where we left off.

“Everyone I’ve worked with has been great. The only thing that turned to s*** was The Smiths. Which is a shame, but s*** happens. I hate talking about the group I formed in those terms, the group I loved. But, y’know, let’s get some perspective.”

This story was picked up from March's Uncut Magazine interview - here in full:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

(* page 94 was adverts - omitted)

Note: the Express article appeared prior to having access to the Uncut article - so, the 'media item' became the thread title.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you certain of this?

Perhaps something else has happened in the last five years that we can't know about . . . ?

I am not really sure Marr's motivations can simply be reduced to wanting to appear "woke".
Only JM know. I don’t pretend to know the trut.

But JM doesn’t like conflict or cnfrontatio, so it is unlikely that he will take an anti-woke stance. More over, I honestly believe that he feels at ease with this strand of thinking, without claiming that he is a fervent wake himself. It is just that, by his own nature, he has more trust in people and institutions, and does not feel the urge to go against the flow and take the risk of sabotaging his career. Unlike Morrissey.

Unfortunately Jesse Tobias has crawled so far up Morrissey's ass there's no way Moz can rekindle a relationship with Marr. Morrissey fans seem to be permanently stuck with that Mf'er.

Unfortunately Jesse Tobias has crawled so far up Morrissey's ass there's no way Moz can rekindle a relationship with Marr. Morrissey fans seem to be permanently stuck with that Mf'er.
Nah. Jesse might think he's special or "above" being a hired hand like all the rest, but that's what everyone thinks until the moment they fall from favour and M boots them into outer space.

I can only imagine how embarrassed Jesse must have been to see Alain back in the fold, after being rude and dismissive towards him online. He'd have to eat similar humble pie with Johnny - and he'd be alone in his animosity because Alain is very friendly with JM these days.
Morrissey doesn't let the hired hands tell him what to do.

Last edited:
Of course what I said is my opinion. Anyone saying anything is expressing an opinion. Your post is an opinion. My opinion happens to be based on reading the interviews and watching the documentaries ie research. Johnny Marr is clearly jealous of Morrissey and desperate for a quick windfall of cash. For example, shortly after a large music festival reputedly offered the Smiths millions to reunite and play a set there, Marr gave an interview suggesting the time might be right for a reunion. Also Marr gave a filmed interview where he called Morrissey, 'so and so' and made thinly disguised accusations that Morrissey kept sacking managers for getting too close to Marr and was too lazy to get out of bed one morning. In his autobiography, Morrissey made clear that it is the other way round and he has worked hard since the split while the other Smiths have not. Marr is clearly resentful of Morrissey's large canon of solo albums, hence his current desire to throw out umpteen boring solo releases no one wants to buy because the lyrics are dull.
All of that said, I do accept that there is also empirical evidence that Morrissey has also behaved badly towards colleagues. However it must be very hurtful to him to have to read Marr's constant digs and disloyal statements.
What I said wasn't opinion. It was fact. The fact that you or anyone on this site knows neither party.

If you think knowing someone equates to what has been said in the media then you are very wrong.

There is nothing anywhere that suggests Marr has any jealousy at all.

he is not "clearly" jealous from anything that has ever been said.

Nah. Jesse might think he's special or "above" being a hired hand like all the rest, but that's what everyone thinks until the moment they fall from favour and M boots them into outer space.

I can only imagine how embarrassed Jesse must have been to see Alain back in the fold, after being rude and dismissive towards him online. He'd have to eat similar humble pie with Johnny - and he'd be alone in his animosity because Alain is very friendly with JM these days.

As someone with writing credits I think he is a little more than a helping hand. They are also close friends socially.

Without music writers M is nothing unless M has progressed his music ability beyond whistling or the recorder. To describe the real artists who actually write the music as hired help is a little polarised.

As someone with writing credits I think he is a little more than a helping hand. They are also close friends socially.

Without music writers M is nothing unless M has progressed his music ability beyond whistling or the recorder. To describe the real artists who actually write the music as hired help is a little polarised.
As long as Morrissey remains a solo artist, then by definition they are all hired hands - they are there to provide a musical framework for his lyrics and ideas, and they are all replaceable. The fact that band members write music doesn't change that working model - if it did, he wouldn't have gone through so many since 1991.

Amy, I appreciate your insight here. Any chance you could elaborate on this bit:

"Alain is very friendly with JM these days."

I've seen the interview Alain did a while back re JM, but maybe there's more?

Don't be ridiculous. What did he say in the piece that shows any sense of ingratitude?
Nothing. When he said, "The only thing that turned to s*** was The Smiths. Which is a shame, but s*** happens," he was acknowledging a reality, yes, but I don't read that as blaming Morrissey for everything. He also said that Morrissey is the only one he's worked with that he's not close to. Well, isn't that exactly what Morrissey said in his open letter, "they haven't known each other for 35 years..."?

So yeah, not getting any ingratitude in this piece or really anything that should've ruffled Morrissey feathers to the degree it did. But of course, there is the more cynical view that Morrissey's open letter was really an attempt to get some press coverage... and it seems to have worked.

Last edited:
Nothing. When he said, "The only thing that turned to s*** was The Smiths. Which is a shame, but s*** happens," he was acknowledging a reality, yes, but I don't read that as blaming Morrissey for everything. He also said that Morrissey is the only one he's worked with that he's not close to. Well, isn't that exactly what Morrissey said in his open letter, "they haven't known each other for 35 years..."?

So yeah, not getting any ingratitude in this piece or really anything that should've ruffled Morrissey feathers to the degree it did. But of course, there is the more cynical view that Morrissey's open letter was really an attempt to get some press coverage... and it seems to have worked.

The thing with the Smiths' demise, could have easily been referencing Mike Joyce's lawsuit, not Morrissey himself.

The thing with the Smiths' demise, could have easily been referencing Mike Joyce's lawsuit, not Morrissey himself.

Yes, that could be true, in regards to Joyce.

Morrissey is troubled by the way the music/media publications take what Johnny says and cobble it into clickbait.

Just look at it, it’s not exactly what Marr said or is it ?

The Smiths split ‘bruised me emotionally, it turned to s*** with Morrissey’​

What exactly is being conveyed in that headline?

The Smiths split turned to shit with/for Morrissey? or did the relationship between them turn to shit?

I’m guessing it’s the latter, but on quick scan, it’s not easy to tell.

As long as Morrissey remains a solo artist, then by definition they are all hired hands - they are there to provide a musical framework for his lyrics and ideas, and they are all replaceable. The fact that band members write music doesn't change that working model - if it did, he wouldn't have gone through so many since 1991.

And it seems he prefers it that way. It may be because of his experience in The Smiths. ‘a bond of trust has been abused’. And he doesn’t want to be in that position again.

The article has other items that may have caused chagrin.

"When I put The Smiths together..."
"Marr has essentially become the custodian of The Smiths' legacy...".

From external view points, they may be relatively innocuous, but not from Morrissey's POV?
FWD.

:)

it may have caused chagrin:lbf:
i would thing so, the little parasite would cause chagrin.(y)
frankly, Moz is too nice to0 noble to a fault putting up PepeLePew
mouth.:lbf:

Pepe you out there? how about you Pepe JR? good let me
explain something to you:
THE SMITHS IS: MOZ and only MOZ. :rock:
thats how it is was and will continue to be. Man up and live with it

the two of you are unknown grubbing twats, Capice Amigos?(y)

Marr is a woke pussy jumping on the woke pussy bandwagon, bashing the person it's fun and popular to bash, blah blah blah. Making sure EVERYONE KNOWS he's distanced himself from Morrissey.

Unoriginal, cowardly, opportunistic c***. Gotta make sure nobody thinks he is still pals with Morrissey so that his record and ticket sales remain maximally unfettered. Hasn't written a good song since Electronic and even that music could have been SO MUCH BETTER if Morrissey, and not Sumner, was in charge.
Is this Boris or Trump? Nice try 😆

When did he say this? I've never heard him say that, and I sleep with the guy every night.
Yeah RIGHT!! And I'm a bigger billionaire than Jeff Besos!! 😆😂🤣
Honestly not when I made that comment; but I have now. And you're right. He doesn't actually bash Morrissey per se. And yet look how interestingly the headline is written...it absolutely contorts and edits what he did actually say.

So, 1 point for you; I definitely spoke too soon re. Johnny (although overall I do feel like in other press blurbs he does purposefully distance himself from Morrissey).

YET...the overall midwit leftist press agenda that I was referencing clearly exists, as evidenced in the way the headline is deceptively written. They assume most people won't read their proselytizing bias-plagued tripe beyond the headline, so they make sure the agenda is what people see, if nothing else.
Because the right-wing press are saints and don't have an agenda 🤣🤪😜

The article has other items that may have caused chagrin.

"When I put The Smiths together..."
"Marr has essentially become the custodian of The Smiths' legacy...".

From external view points, they may be relatively innocuous, but not from Morrissey's POV?
FWD.
Morrissey in Autobiography admits that Johnny put the group together, got the members, the studios, etc.

Moz also doesn’t care about the Smiths, he’s all about his solo career.

:lbf:
you were fired LeTwat face it FFS dont get traumatic about it
yes :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:, you are the new Jiddu Kirshnamurti for sure very independent your weak mind is cherry red mute:handok:
you are what is called by yourself an 'indie thinkier' just like Jr:baby:
perhaps the wig is on too tight?🥷
Moz wrote those songs, thats why since you got the 👢
its been an ongoing katastrofa.

a future scenario of playing sucky mini gigs at 75? WTF
thats what you been doing since Moz showed you to the exit

JFC what a hopeless twat, 'future scenario', while 6o yr oldo_O
this LePew makes the frisky gay priest look like Hopalong Cassidy what shanda
:hammer:
He's not 60 he's 58.

Amy, I appreciate your insight here. Any chance you could elaborate on this bit:

"Alain is very friendly with JM these days."

I've seen the interview Alain did a while back re JM, but maybe there's more?
Just based on what I've seen on Twitter - Alain's been to see JM live a few times and always praises him, he's been backstage to talk to him too.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom