Exactly how good was Still Ill?

D

dazzak

Like the Rank version? One of my favourite ever Morrissey moments is his amazing stress on "still" and "ill" on Rank. I can only imagine how crazy I will go if he plays this.

I love that version too. Gets my energy up.

> Like the Rank version? One of my favourite ever Morrissey moments is his
> amazing stress on "still" and "ill" on Rank. I can
> only imagine how crazy I will go if he plays this.

> I love that version too. Gets my energy up.
That is a great version. It's a 10. Another 10 is the last ever Smiths gig at Brixton where he sings...

Oh NOOOOO! OH YES!!!!

This good...

Can't remember how good the Rank versions sounds as I'm away from home, of course.

But Still Ill was faithful and good enough to bring me to tears dazzak.

Re: This good...

Did he sing "England is mine" or change it to something else?

Re: This good...

I'm pretty sure the lyric wasn't changed both nights.

My mistake, he did change it at the OKC show

Just remembered.

"England's a swine..."

Listened to my bootleg of the show to make sure.

down to the whelp

the best part is the last sound he utters....you know..."oh no-nonononononoooo....YEEEECH!" he even does that little whelp at the end. do i make sense?

In a word, perfect.

What really made it for me, aside from the obvious, was Matt Walker's drumming. Matt's sound is not at all dissimilar to Mike Joyce's, especially the way he leads with the snare, at least to my ear. Although Matt is obviously a lot more skilled than Mike was on that first Smiths album.

The guitar is SPOT-on, effortless to the point of feeling eerie. Jesse plays Johnny Marr's entire original guitar part. Boz plays an acoustic, but is not too audible.

The vocals are just what you'd expect (or at least what I would expect) from Morrissey of 2006. Completely faithful, but at the same time, he can do vocal backflips through this song by this point if he wants to. His sense of confidence is just incredible. Hearing it, I just felt grateful to be alive at the same time as him right now.

Yeah, both nights he changed 'England is mine' to 'England is swine'. Not my favorite lyrical change-up, but, well, whatever.

love, math+

He doesn't exactly 'scream' it...

...more like he shows off his recently acquired singing skills. He draws attention to it, but not by screaming. love, math+

Back
Top Bottom