"Everyone ultimately prefers their own race" - another example of Morrissey expressing himself badly?

I haven't been listening to Morrissey's music for that long, but when watching concert footage I noticed that he sometimes phrases things oddly and mispronounces words when talking to the audience. For some reason, he reminds me of some of my friends in academia who are all brilliant in one way or another and often write well but sometimes have trouble expressing themselves in speech, especially about topics outside their field of expertise. I know that when I get nervous, I sometimes say things that I don't actually mean or that sound harsher than I intended, because I feel I have to say something but have trouble finding the right words quickly.

I do think that some of the issues that he raises should perhaps rather be seen as discussion topics or observations. For instance, I personally do not think that people should stick to their own race/culture/ethnicity but looking around me in this multicultural city that I live in, I can see that many people seem to prefer the company of people who are in one way or another similar to them. Neither do I think that raising questions about why a young actor attends a showbiz party by himself should be interpreted as Morrissey supporting Kevin Spacey.

Then again, you would think that after so many years in the public eye, Morrissey should know better. If he really does not want to be misunderstood, he should either think before he speaks or have someone with better judgment sit in with his interviews and interrupt him when he goes of the rails (I mean, listen to the Der Spiegel interview). And why even speak out about race or the Me Too movement; I much rather hear him talk about his life, his creative process, literature or his clothing choices!

It’s an objectively and empirically true statement.
New York City is an excellent example of this. It is one of the most liberal and anti-racist cities in the world and yet everyone self-segregates based on race. Hispanics move to Jackson Heights to be around other Hispanics. Asians move to Flushing to be around other Asians. Whites move to Williamsburg to be around other whites.
Now, all of these people would swear up and down that they are not racist and I would say that most of them are telling the truth. But the thing is that even if someone has no animosity towards any other group, money being no object, they would prefer to live in a place where the restaurants serve the kind of food their group likes to eat, where the stores sell the kind of clothes their group likes to wear and where the bars play the kind of music that their group likes to listen to.

Most whites are not racist so much as they are culturalists. They will hang out with anyone of any race so long as that person hasn’t assimilated to white cultural norms.

I have never met a white person who lived in a multicultural city whose social circle accurately reflected the racial demographics of where they live.
If you are white and live in New York, then more than 33% of your friends should be white if you want me to me to believe that you are truly colorblind. If your social circle is more than 33% white, then you clearly have a preference for your own race.

He was trying to say we need to try & get on with each other despite our differences, instead of just attacking each other. He'd been attacked for discussing open borders & Halal & he's obviously not used to the cut & thrust of debate, where you try to make your opponent look like a sh*t. He chats & reads books.

And before Reel gets excited, this is from April 2019. 2 years ago.

sam:
The obvious press assessment is that she is racist, but I haven’t heard her say anything racist.

M:
Neither have I. But if you call someone racist in modern Britain you are telling them that you have run out of words. You are shutting the debate down and running off. The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist? The people who reduce every conversation down to a matter of race could be said to be the most traditionally ‘racist’ because everything in life is NOT exclusively a question of race, so why make it so? Diversity can’t possibly be a strength if everyone has ideas that will never correspond. If borders are such terrible things then why did they ever exist in the first place? Borders bring order. I can’t see how opposing Halal slaughter makes me racist when I’ve objected to ALL forms of animal slaughter all of my life.
What a genius you must be that you can interpret everything Morrissey says and explain it to us all, and not only that, but to him. You know "what he was trying to say," which must mean you know him better than he knows himself.
And I don't think that you come across as a complete loon, either. Please keep it up and never ever stop!

Back
Top Bottom