"Everyday Is Like Sunday" from "Morrissey 25: Live" video - NME.com

I am not blown away, but they seem like a pretty solid band. Having endured Kristeen Young on three occasions I would much rather have seem them in concert and quite frankly they seem like a bitter fit for Morrissey.

I certainly have liked what I heard so far and will most likely check out more of their stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey 25: Live Film Review ~ Hollywood Reporter

Snippets...

The original performance began with an onstage introduction by Morrissey’s friend and cheerleader Russell Brand, a heartfelt eulogy which – bizarrely – has been cut from the finished film. Brand and other celebrity acolytes, including Patti Smith, are now glimpsed only fleetingly in an opening montage. This is a baffling omission, considering Brand is not just an eloquent orator but arguably more famous nowadays than Morrissey himself. But as we long-suffering fans know all too well, the Oscar Wilde of pop moves in mysterious ways.

Among the musical highlights are a clutch of Smiths classics. They include a scouringly heavy remake of Meat Is Murder, an angry vegetarian manifesto illustrated with hellish visual clips of animal cruelty, and a graceful rearrangement of the melancholy ballad Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want. Fans of Morrissey’s retro-crooner side will also enjoy his sumptuous, feverishly melodramatic cover version of Frankie Valli’s 1967 torch song, To Give (The Reason I Live).

Compared to the last official Morrissey concert film, Who Put The M In Manchester? In 2004, 25: Live is a largely lackluster affair. Which is frustrating, because the singer remains a unique cultural icon, with more than enough musical treasure and prickly charisma to make a Don’t Look Back or a Stop Making Sense. But that would require a heavyweight director to challenge and cajole him out of his mid-life comfort zone. Until then, he will continue to preach to the converted with perfunctory promotional items like this, which is as good as it needs to be but no more.

Saw this already. Looks like the reviews of this film all around are not stellar. And after the big deal I made about people on this board being out of touch with commercial reviewers!

It's too bad, because there were some really great shows earlier on in the tour. I wish maybe he had filmed the Brooklyn Academy of Arts show instead.

I wouldn't count Morrissey as out just yet. People said his career was over when the Smiths broke up and he came out with Viva Hate.

People said his career was over after Kill Uncle and he responded with from what I hear was a pretty stellar tour and than Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I.

People said the same thing about Maladjusted and the subsequent tour which was apparently not so good and he followed it up with....not being able to find another record contract for what five, seven years?

But he also followed that up with a self-finacied tour world tour as an unsigned artist that exceeded all expectations and his most commercially successful album to date. I also think up to these recent slate of cancellations he was doing pretty well.

Morrissey's career has been mostly comebacks. And it's certainly plausible he'll have another one. The only thing that concerns me is nobody being willing to insure his tour/book him, because of the risk of cancellations.

Saw this already. Looks like the reviews of this film all around are not stellar. And after the big deal I made about people on this board being out of touch with commercial reviewers!

It's too bad, because there were some really great shows earlier on in the tour. I wish maybe he had filmed the Brooklyn Academy of Arts show instead.

I wouldn't count Morrissey as out just yet. People said his career was over when the Smiths broke up and he came out with Viva Hate.

People said his career was over after Kill Uncle and he responded with from what I hear was a pretty stellar tour and than Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I.

People said the same thing about Maladjusted and the subsequent tour which was apparently not so good and he followed it up with....not being able to find another record contract for what five, seven years?

But he also followed that up with a self-finacied tour world tour as an unsigned artist that exceeded all expectations and his most commercially successful album to date. I also think up to these recent slate of cancellations he was doing pretty well.

Morrissey's career has been mostly comebacks. And it's certainly plausible he'll have another one. The only thing that concerns me is nobody being willing to insure his tour/book him, because of the risk of cancellations.

When his career is over they'll be saying he's going to come back. He can't win with "them" and he never will be able to.

Sorry but I don't know what planet you are on as Kirsteen Young is absolutely AWFUL!!! She will NEVER make it on her own and is just clinging onto Morrissey. Most of the Moz hardcore fans CANNOT Stand Kristeen! The sooner Moz dumps her the better. She brings nothing but bad luck.

I don't think she brings bad luck. You'd have to state more clear points on that to justify the statement but I do agree that she is absolutely awful. She has made it on her own, sort of, but not to the extent where she wants to, ie selling out huge stadiums with her own name. She's small fry and will remain so. I'm surprised to hear she's playing in Canada. Pity that venue when she steps out on stage. Would love to read what reactions the crowd has when they see and hear her. Hopefully she's whipped up some not-so-cheap looking hand sewn garment to impress them, that visual arts part of her act is now just boring and looks awful. Needs to get a real stylist or someone who can sew better than she does.

I am not blown away, but they seem like a pretty solid band. Having endured Kristeen Young on three occasions I would much rather have seem them in concert and quite frankly they seem like a bitter fit for Morrissey.

I certainly have liked what I heard so far and will most likely check out more of their stuff.

I agree Chip. I've endured Kristeen thru the two Morrissey concerts I attended. My first encounter with KY was 2007 and I wasn't impressed and she still had Baby Jeff with her at the time. I enjoyed his energetic drumming as opposed to her screeching and yelling and just focused on what he was doing rather than her. I bet he's glad he's moved on, and hopefully doing better career-wise. The few occasions I interacted with her on FB, I found her to be dysfunctional and too 'crazy thinking'-can't think a better word for it this early in the morning. I didn't find her down to earth or nice or even pleasant. She did have a few interesting points with some threads she had posted, but those quickly turned nasty and I started disagreeing with her. Got unfriended, which did not break my heart and I see no reason now to even consider listening to anything she puts out musically and probably wouldn't recommend her to anyone who is looking for a new sound to listen to

why cut the brand intro, oh moz :crazy:

the doll and the kicks were an enjoyable band especially hannahs voice but they split up earlier this year

the Courteeners supported moz during 2009 they are moving on up now releasing their 3rd studio album and are known as being one of the best live indie bands around - definitely gained a cult following in Manchester and the North of England

Re: "Everyday Is Like Sunday" from "Morrissey 25: Live" video - NME.com

I saw The Libertines supporting Moz at Brixton Academy in 2002.

Also The Killers supported Moz once or twice didn't they.

See, his support hasn't always been *total* shit. Just most of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Morrissey's career has been mostly comebacks. And it's certainly plausible he'll have another one.

There's just one extra problem this time. The music industry has changed forever, and 'proper' contracts with big advances, from major labels, (all things Moz seems to demand) are now incredibly scarce.

Re: "Everyday Is Like Sunday" from "Morrissey 25: Live" video - NME.com

I saw The Libertines supporting Moz at Brixton Academy in 2002.

Also The Killers supported Moz once or twice didn't they.

See, his support hasn't always been *total* shit. Just most of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

There's just one extra problem this time. The music industry has changed forever, and 'proper' contracts with big advances, from major labels, (all things Moz seems to demand) are now incredibly scarce.

I was going to ask if didn't the Killers open for Morrissey at one point, but looking through Passions Just Like Mine at his tours over the year I couldn't find any opening acts who I recognized. Libertines were also a decent band though. I mean opening acts from my experience are usually up and coming bands who are still very early in their career and may be going to great places or may not--not dreadful acts that are so horrible they would have no career if not for opening for said artist.

I think the problem though is I remember an interviewer asked Morrissey if there were any up and coming acts he was supportive of and he said no, because they all turn and around bite you or something to that extent (funny--he doesn't consider Kristeen Young to be an up and coming act).

I do think there's that lack of self-confidence/ego problem (it's always hard to tell which one it is with Moz, but I suspect he--like most of us--has some deep insecurities) that leads him to pick Kristeen Young. I mean the Libertines are no more, but the Killers are doing quite a bit better than Morrissey at the moment right? I don't know much about them, but everyone I know seems to have heard of them and have nice things to say about them. They also seem to be somewhat popular at the moment. I don't think Morrissey wants to be eclipsed by some band that was opening for him just a few years earlier.

I also believe that's why he likes headlineing over Patti Smith, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop--he can think to himself look at these legendary acts (and all three figures are truly legendary), acts that I listened to as youth, that inspired me to get into music, and now I am headlining over them. I imagine there's a bizarre sort of rush in surpassing your idols. But once again I don't think Morrissey is egotistical or a narcissist, I think he's just like the rest of us somewhat insecure.

I just wish if this was the way he felt he'd dump opening acts all together and play longer or bring around Patti Smith for the entire tour.

As far as the record industry thing, I agree that's a major major major obstacle. But I mean the Smiths are the greatest indie band of all time and Morrissey has done self-finacied/promoted tours before. If he can just get over his demand for "proper contracts" I think he can pull it off. I mean if the man can tour fairly successfully without any label, little or no PR, etc. surely he can pull of an album, can't he?

Many will certainly "count Morrissey out" if he comes back working with the band he presently has.

(and rightfully so).

He cannot afford the status quo. And as fans of his music (well, up until ROTT, anyway), neither can we.

I really don't know why people concern themselves with Mozzer's lovely career. All you need to know is that Morrissey is someone you love and admire, who has brought great enrichment to your life. I don't want to say he has "so many songs," but he does and if he never records another song again he has already provided you with more goodness than you will ever find anywhere else in the world.

I also don't know what people's problem with Kristeen is. I have seen her open for Moz. I thought she was talented and interesting. Sure, I didn't get into her music because it's not melodic and the lyrics are not distinctive, but I'm not going to get angry about it. I respect that she is my Mozzer's friend.

I really don't know why people concern themselves with Mozzer's lovely career. All you need to know is that Morrissey is someone you love and admire, who has brought great enrichment to your life. I don't want to say he has "so many songs," but he does and if he never records another song again he has already provided you with more goodness than you will ever find anywhere else in the world.

I also don't know what people's problem with Kristeen is. I have seen her open for Moz. I thought she was talented and interesting. Sure, I didn't get into her music because it's not melodic and the lyrics are not distinctive, but I'm not going to get angry about it. I respect that she is my Mozzer's friend.

Blah blah blah blah blah !!!!!!!!
Boredom !!

B Oring :straightface:

you're right about her not being the worst opening act ever for moz seen her opening for him 3 maybe 4 times now and didn't think she was too bad but I agree with others that on her own she couldn't sell out a kebab shop
Yea shes definlty not the worst opneing act, in fact shes the best morrissey has ever had!
I do dispute this silly notion and "untruth" tho, that kristeen CANT sell out concerts, she CAN easily sell out concerts, thousands of people would LOVE 2 see her live in concert even without morrissey being there!
Even 4 the interest and fasciation facter alone!
Id pay any amount 2 see her live in concert, and I know lots of other people who would do 2! !
Shes the sorta artist that people want 2 see, not least because of her wonderfull talent and vocals and music ect, but even just because of who she is.
Unpredictable, outrageous, eccentric, clearly misunderstood and slightly tempremantal ect what more can we ask?
Id go as far as 2 say thats shes the female equivilant of morrissey!
How frieghtfully wonderfull they really are ! :)

Sorry but I don't know what planet you are on as Kirsteen Young is absolutely AWFUL!!! She will NEVER make it on her own and is just clinging onto Morrissey. Most of the Moz hardcore fans CANNOT Stand Kristeen! The sooner Moz dumps her the better. She brings nothing but bad luck.

Well the last time I looked I was on planet earth! maybe its time 4 me 2 relocate 2 a different planet!
I dont accept this ridiculoes nonsence that most of morrisseys fans cant stand her, its only some! most really like her!
As far as saying she "clinging" 2 morrissey, thats just ridiculoes!
Shes a totally original artist in her own right.

But you put kristeen up against the likes of jay-lo, beyonce, maddona, adele, "lady" Ga Ga ect (theY all pale into insignificance in comparision 2 kristeen)
And any other female singer u can think of - its doesnt matter - kristeen can run rings around the lot of em 4 fun!
And you ask them all 2 sing the same song, again it doesnt matter which genere nor style...... opera, classical, heavy rock, ect, kristeen can do the lot!
Shes a clasically trained pianist 2 the highest standard remember!
And you then ask 100 people who dont know or have heard any of these singers before.......
One can be quite safe in ones assumption that the VAST MAJORORITY - say 95% would choose kristeens voice and singing as the most beautifulll!
Its soooo beautifull 2 listen 2!
Everything she touches turns 2 gold!!!!!!!!!!! :)
I honeslty think her new soon 2 be released album cd, will do remarkably well 4 her!
I keep on saying this, (its like a broken record now, how long must this madness continue!) but shes not on the world tour 4 nothing, plz just listen 2 her singing, her vocals are just incredible! trust me, I dont say that lightly and without reason, and the lyrics are wonderfull 2!
The most underated artist in history, by light years, but when shes eventually gets the recigintion she deseves, remember I told you so! well ok so did moz! Hope she remEbers me 2 lol :)

Truth has no consciousness of error, love has no sense of hatred, life has no parnership with death , these are not the fruits of life!

Oh and patti smith was not and never would be morrisseys support act, shes a headliner herself, a legend, she agread 2 be a "special guest"
Not that there is anything less wonderfull in being the suport act of morrissey!
In fact the support act is just as important, if not more so, than the headliner themself!
All 3, patti smith, kristeen young and morrissey are equall in grace ! :)

Yea i agrea with most of whats youve said almost!
But i wud urge you 2 listen to some more of her music ect, her early stuff its wonderfull!
But Im not sure what peoples problem is with kristeen either, the only thing I can think of is because morriseey likes and thinks so highly of her, and so people are jeloues of this.
What so wrong in having freinds!
Its definilty not because of her music and her act live in concert - coz these are both Incredible, wonderfull!!! :)

Last edited:
she CAN easily sell out concerts, thousands of people would LOVE 2 see her live in concert even without morrissey being there!

What is the largest number of tickets she has sold for a show of her own?

In my opinion, Morrissey just keeps her around to make himself look better on stage. You know, like having an ugly best friend with you in a photo.

Well I wouldn't say that. He might as a person but i don't think that he thinks her music is THAT great at all.

Morrissey has said on at least one occation that "she (kristeen) is set 2 become larger than life itself, and 2 me she allready is" :)

I think kristeen youngs music is simply magic, absoloutly breathtaking and uplifting ! and so does morrissey!

Listen 2 kristeen singing V the volcanic, depression contest - live in concert, the bass punch and keyboard syntheisizers ect is Incredible! (well in the smaller venues it is!)

Id urge people 2 listen her music properly, it really is fantastic! :)

In my opinion, Morrissey just keeps her around to make himself look better on stage. You know, like having an ugly best friend with you in a photo.

I havent a clue how many tickets shes sold at any of her solo shows.
Think tho she likes 2 do the smaller venues, reason being that they create far better sound dynamics than larger shows, which suits her and her music perfectly.

Morrissey and kristeen were good at the manchester MEA areana, but unfortunatly with it being such a large venue and not specifically a concert venue anyways, some of the sound was lost slightly and morphed into boom rather than bass punch ect, but at the royall hall villa marina which is a very small concert hall designed with proper acustic reproduction in mind , the show they put on and the sound at the villa was just INCREDIBLE! :)

V the volcanic was simply breathtaking ! sounded utterly amazing at this smallish concert hall ! :)

And you should of heard the meat is murder number, the thunderoues drum and bass punch was just incredible! youve never heard anything like it!
The same song and sound was almost completey lost at the MEA arena.

Bet you morrissey and kristeen would say the villa was one of the best concerts they have ever done!
And I was there !

But im not sure how well kristeen sells tickets 2 her shows in the USA, im reffering 2 her popularity here in the UK, if she came and toured here in the UK, she would completely sell out shows all over the place! :)

This may sound strange, but I get the feeling that there is something in particular that is bothering Morrissey. He needs someone to shoulder some of his burden. I do hope he has someone or opens his heart.

Morrissey has said on at least one occation that "she (kristeen) is set 2 become larger than life itself, and 2 me she allready is" :)

I think kristeen youngs music is simply magic, absoloutly breathtaking and uplifting ! and so does morrissey!

Listen 2 kristeen singing V the volcanic, depression contest - live in concert, the bass punch and keyboard syntheisizers ect is Incredible! (well in the smaller venues it is!)

I havent a clue how many tickets shes sold at any of her solo shows.
Think tho she likes 2 do the smaller venues, reason being that they create far better sound dynamics than larger shows, which suits her and her music perfectly.

Morrissey and kristeen were good at the manchester MEA areana, but unfortunatly with it being such a large venue and not specifically a concert venue anyways, some of the sound was lost slightly and morphed into boom rather than bass punch ect, but at the royall hall villa marina which is a very small concert hall designed with proper acustic reproduction in mind , the show they put on and the sound at the villa was just INCREDIBLE! :)

V the volcanic was simply breathtaking ! sounded utterly amazing at this smallish concert hall ! :)

And you should of heard the meat is murder number, the thunderoues drum and bass punch was just incredible! youve never heard anything like it!
The same song and sound was almost completey lost at the MEA arena.

Bet you morrissey and kristeen would say the villa was one of the best concerts they have ever done!
And I was there !

But im not sure how well kristeen sells tickets 2 her shows in the USA, im reffering 2 her popularity here in the UK, if she came and toured here in the UK, she would completely sell out shows all over the place! :)

1017290_724424464253676_1355747961_n.jpg

I suspect there's some sort of quiet business arrangement. Morrissey respects Tony as a producer/artist and as a sort of favors for favors thing, he keeps Tony's little 8-octave toy occupied and feeling important by allowing her to open for him as a sort of gentlemen's agreement. Unfortunately for Kristeen, it's all but ruined her image as the independent, strong woman she thinks she's projecting because she's wasted so many years being Morrissey's opening act (and comfortable in that go nowhere role) and hasn't made an attempt to be anything but one of the perceived Morrissey insiders while being anything but. Meanwhile instead of writing songs from the heart and tailoring a sound to an audience that extends beyond sycophants wearing Smiths t-shirts, she's lead a campaign of becoming a Morrissey clone hating life not understanding that the man she's being a clone of is often sarcastically hating life so she comes off as being a nasty, bitter, pity-seeking sidekick in clown make-up trying to be tough bitch and the whole schtick just reads as pathetic. No self-respecting independent female artist would agree to be a permanent opening act for anyone. She's looking not to sing, but for a secure social circle which means she's doing it for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

He has never put her up there as anywhere near great as his favourite artists. He likes her alot, thats nice. Thing is though for someone who seems so clued up on what music is good and what isn't he seems to have made terrible error of judgment if he genuinly believed it. he probably gets a act he finds will get nowhere near to outstaging him.

she actually wouldn't, you like her music thats fair enough but you don't need to try and kid youself. If she could sell out all round a country she wouldn't still be touring as Moz's opening act, she has been with him way too long for me believe that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom