Euthanasia - for or against

Musley

wild and free
Another emotive subject:

My neighbour's father has has several strokes. He is now in a nursing home. Cannot speak, feed himself and has lost control of both his bladder and bowel movements. She says she wishes she could end all his suffering, as this once lovely proud gentleman has lost all his dignity. Is it time it was introduced. Yes or no?

I support euthanasia because miracles rarely happen.

It'd be humane to end unnecessary suffering.

Last edited:
I'm all for it.We may all one day be like that old gentleman.Just because the body fails it does not mean the mind has.Can you imagine a living hell?

It will never be made legal in the UK becasue there will always be a legion for interfering do gooders to come up with some moral reasoning against it.

definitely for, we do it for animals, why not humans?
no one should be made to live in pain if they don't want to.
people say it could be abused, but keeping someone alive in those conditions is also cruel.
The memory of the person becomes eradicated.

What amazes me is that people always say that it would be "playing God" but by the same token all medical intervention is playing God.By artificially keeping someone alive you are going against nature-because nature would allow that person to die.

Well I'm for it as long as it's being done in a humane way under strict control. If it can't be near fail safe I will reconsider.

I am certainly for it.
Who could sit by and watch someone they love suffer?

though I do understand both sides of it,I was in a coma for about 9 days a few years back,I am glad they never pulled the plug...

I am against it because of the slippery slope. I am for saying no to life prolonging procedures though. If a person is truly terminally ill give them all the good drugs for pain they want and let them go peacefully. I had a cousin who was taken off of her feeding tube and fluids and it took her almost a month to die. It was horrible. She was severely brain damaged after an aneurysm but was still there.

It will never be made legal in the UK becasue there will always be a legion for interfering do gooders to come up with some moral reasoning against it.

I assume it wasn't your intention, but you make moral reasoning sound like it's something bad! There's nothing holier in this world than human life, I wish more people would understand that. Where is the dividing line? How do we decide whose life is dignified enough to be prolonged, and whose is not? It's dangerous thinking.

I assume it wasn't your intention, but you make moral reasoning sound like it's something bad! There's nothing holier in this world than human life, I wish more people would understand that. Where is the dividing line? How do we decide whose life is dignified enough to be prolonged, and whose is not? It's dangerous thinking.

I had two people close to me who died prolonged and agonizing deaths.If someone close could administer an overdose of morphine in the knowledge they wouldn't have the law against them then i would be for it.

I also often am amazed at the amount of people who are against mercy killings but support abortions.

My Dad was diagnosed with cancer in October 2007. He died in December 2007:tears:.

His last 5 weeks was spent 'off this planet' on drugs with no quality of life.
I have already told my two daughters, if the same thing happens to me, just go for it, end it as soon as you can.....

Jukebox Jury

I also often am amazed at the amount of people who are against mercy killings but support abortions.

Why would anyone against euthanasia support abortion? Either you have appreciation for human life or you don't. It's like being pro-life but support death penalty, or euthanasia, it's oxymoronic.

Why would anyone against euthanasia support abortion? Either you have appreciation for human life or you don't. It's like being pro-life but support death penalty, or euthanasia, it's oxymoronic.

No it isn't.A foetus (unless it is physically incompatable with life)hasn't been given a chance to have any quality of life.Whereas someone with terminal cancer has.I am anti-abortion,pro death penalty and pro euthanasia.I may be "oxymoronic"(or just plain moronic to some:p) but i refuse to be labelled or put into a "box" regarding views.Nothing is black and white.Its rather the same with political views.I can take some views from both capitalism and communism and say i agree with them it doesn't mean I am either of them.

My Dad was diagnosed with cancer in October 2007. He died in December 2007:tears:.

His last 5 weeks was spent 'off this planet' on drugs with no quality of life.
I have already told my two daughters, if the same thing happens to me, just go for it, end it as soon as you can.....

Jukebox Jury

Sorry to hear that JJ, that's really sad.

If there is a choice, then I think people should be able to take that choice, I mean if they are able mentally to make the decison. I have seen horrific deaths MS, cancers, just general wasting away, in this day in age in our society people should not starve to death, but they do. The elderly do. I have seen people linger on for weeks in a bed getting fluids or little bits of soup. I hate it. Why should people die like that if there is a painless way to go. I know I would NEVER want to watch my family like that. I have to at work on occasion.
Now I know what you are saying re the dangerous thinking, I think there has to be rules and regulations, what rules? well if a person is of sound mind then they can decide if not, then it would be up to the family and doctors, any one who would rather their granny starved to death than peacefully was helped along really in my mind is cruel.
It is a very hard subject but in my mind and after dealing with ill and dying people for so long in my work its a clear decision for me.

Do you have living wills in the UK?

Back
Top Bottom