Morrissey Central "Erratum" (March 12, 2023)

Cancel Is My Middle Name should be on the performance list.

Benny 🇬🇧 :knife:

The 'erratum' should have come before the band shared the posters online.
Clearly it was something meant to happen.
If not then, perhaps when almost every media outlet was sharing the same information en masse.
A week later to then cast doubt is a bit too late perhaps?
FWD.
Because of this run of announcements that then have to be reversed, Central might consider developing a habit of pausing and delaying, to run simple risk analyses, each time a decision is available to be put in writing. They could pop some general information up instead about shows that are actually happening, or links to rare older news. Sometimes changes can't be helped or are out of organisers' control. Avoiding 'fake news' is tough for everyone these days, but that pause can help?

Meanwhile, my logline for an imagined movie of Morrissey's current woes:

Morrissey. The man with the golden voice, who for generations shone through ups and downs, and fortified hearts. But now the only luck he's having is worse than bad. It's rotten. Doors once wide open are slammed in his face. Collaborators are proving fickle. Critics drool with gleeful blood-lust. Is the tragic fate of this musical titan sealed, or will he yet prove to be ultimately unf*ckablewith?

What happened is this: They were not meant to post about the July London show until AFTER the March 19 London show. Rule 1 when you play a city twice is you only announce the second show *after* the first sells out, and if it doesn't sell out, you announce it the day after the first show. Rookie mistake.

What happened is this: They were not meant to post about the July London show until AFTER the March 19 London show. Rule 1 when you play a city twice is you only announce the second show *after* the first sells out, and if it doesn't sell out, you announce it the day after the first show. Rookie mistake.
That's actually a very good point.

That's actually a very good point.
I've worked in the music business for 30 years. The promoter of the March show would have been understandably pissed because they still have unsold tickets, and now a lot of people who would have bought tickets in the days leading up to the March show will now decide to get tickets to see Morrissey outdoors in July instead.

And to be clear, as much as can normally be blamed on Sam, this can't be. What I'm guessing happened is that nobody at his agency made the mental connection between the dates since they were booked/anounced at different times. The tour image was made and Sam posted because he was probably told to and his brain isn't programed to consider how many unsold tickets there are for the March 19 date when announcing a sunny July show.

Last edited:
I also wondered if it was just a matter of the date being released too early. I have done this before for people way less successful than M but I don't think his operation is much more complicated. We would get an itinerary and it would tell us when we could release the date, some were held back due to proximity. Then we would promote on social media in our usual places.
This does not explain to me why the poster was made, why the ticket sale time was set and we are told M is not confirmed to appear. An itinerary would also tell us if the date was set or still in some sort of negotiation or stage of planning.

This is what happens when you have Captain Dumpsterfire acting as your manager. I’m surprised this guy can manage to put one foot in front of the other in order to walk, let alone run camp M.

Sounds plausible. But announcing the July dates, then un-announcing them in the hope that people buy tickets for a gig in 5 days, then re-announcing the July dates seems like a way to confuse people and put them off buying any tickets at all.

Last edited:
Those tickets are ridiculously overpriced. I'd love to see him next week but I can't justify those prices, especially because I don't want to go alone and would have to drag my partner along again. Plus the prices of transport and drinks at the show. God forbid I wanted a t-shirt because that would put the night over £300. If the setlist was something special I might go for it, but the setlists have been really meh lately in my opinion. Idk why Morrissey insists on alienating his older fans and out-pricing his potential younger ones.
So many false dawns concerning ticket prices these days, but Robert Smith has made an appropriate, fan friendly, intervention.

Sounds plausible. But announcing the July dates, then un-announcing them in the hope that people buy tickets for a gig in 5 days, then re-announcing the July dates seems like a way to confuse people and put them off buying any tickets at all.

Moz operates on chaos and drama. Isn’t that why we all come here? We are addicted to it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom