Eric Clapton and "the fate of virtuoso guitar solos"

dothewatusi

Eric Clapton is playing an 11-night run of concerts at The Royal Albert Hall.

In discussing Clapton's virtuoso guitar solos, mention is made of other styles of guitar solos...:guitar:

"However, a new type of lead guitarist also emerged in the 1980s. The Smiths’ Johnny Marr and U2’s The Edge led the way towards the more textural, less showy style that dominates today. Old-fashioned axe heroes still survive, in the form of The White Stripes’ Jack White or Clapton acolytes such as John Mayer and Joe Bonamassa, but the general trend has been away from soloistic virtuosity.

Jonny Greenwood is a prime example. The Radiohead guitarist is capable of cathartic bursts of action, as on “Paranoid Android” – but he more often seems content to hide himself in a wide range of tones, as if wielding multiple shimmering guitars rather than a single shrieking one."

Looks like he's masturbating

b2e34a84-410b-11de-8f18-00144feabdc0.jpg

The thing is that the blues-based lead guitar style that people like Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, and Jimmy Page was taken as far as it could go. For 20 years or so it's been a sound that meant "buy beer" in television advertisements.

The reason people like Prince or Jack White can still make it work is because they seem to have a sense of abandon in their playing.

I know that we are supposed to hate Jack White but he stole the Grammy Awards a few years ago and played some genuinely exciting rock and roll in the most corporate of settings.

For 20 years or so it's been a sound that meant "buy beer" in television advertisements.

:laughing:

I know that we are supposed to hate Jack White but he stole the Grammy Awards a few years ago and played some genuinely exciting rock and roll in the most corporate of settings.

I just played "Fell In Love With A Girl" the other day, for the first time in years, and I was utterly transported. Jack White is okay in my book.

Back
Top Bottom