"'Ere Long Done Do Does Did" by Dave Dyment - Book/Art

Dave Dyment
'Ere Long Done Do Does Did
Toronto, Canada: Self-published, 2018
128 pp., 5 x 7", hardcover in slipcase
Exhibition copy.

The result of about five years worth of research, 'Ere Long Done Do Does Did is a 128-page bookwork comprised entirely of pages from literature, poetry, film criticism and true crime books which have been source material for song lyrics by Morrissey and the Smiths. The pages are presented facsimile, and arranged in sequential order, according to the original page number. The first sentence in the volume is a line paraphrased for Morrissey's "I Know Who I Love" and the final line is lifted for the Smiths' "Well I Wonder".

43193_dyment.jpg

The cover graphic features Elizabeth Smart, the Ottawa writer whose 1945 classic novella By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept was used as the source of numerous early Smiths songs, and a few solo tracks. The verso features an image from the home of Joe Orton and his lover (and eventual murderer) Kenneth Halliwell. The walls are collaged with pages that the couple tore out of library books. The Smiths' song title "Death at One's Elbow" is taken verbatim from Orton's diaries, and the playwright was initially considered as a cover star for one of the band's LPs or singles.

The hardcover copy in a wooden slipcase pictured above is the exhibition copy. The work is sold as a softcover book, accompanied by one of six prints (see above), for $300 CDN. The prints are images of six of the source titles (of approximately 80), which have been annotated with colour coded tabs.

Contact [email protected] for details.

_TH_5731.jpg

tumblr_p84c71IDsL1sscnp2o2_540.jpg
tumblr_p84c71IDsL1sscnp2o4_540.jpg
_TH_5702.jpg

Interesting presentation.
It appears to be a softbook copy of the art installation/exhibition and accompanied by prints.
All information that has been shared here in detail previously I suspect - really 5 years of research!? That said, it probably took that long to source the physical materials.
The "No Dad, I Won't Be Home Tomorrow" site collated tonnes of these sources as early as '98/'99 and has been referred to here continually throughout the years - a possible inspiration in itself?

Besides an email link, there isn't much purchasing information other than here:

http://artistsbooksandmultiples.blogspot.com/2018/01/dave-dyment-ere-long-done-do-does-did.html

http://davedyment.tumblr.com/post/173523454786/dave-dyment-ere-long-done-do-does-did-toronto#notes

All credit to David Dyment for his efforts.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I just did. I said you had sent me. He said, "Who the f*** is UncleSkinny?' and slammed the phone down.

I will try again tomorrow.

O FLOCK this Johnny just signed his own death certificate. Hell have Surface on his case momentarily.:)

I just did. I said you had sent me. He said, "Who the f*** is UncleSkinny?' and slammed the phone down.

I will try again tomorrow.

Thats almost impossible to believe...did you tell Johnny about the Vitamin C thing? Skinny being an expert of the inflammatory properties of the VIT C?? Call him back and give him a rundown. If you have the toe inflamed he can save it from being cut by using his Vit C knowledge. THAT SKINNY:o

If this fails tell him its the Uncle Skinny who INVENTED BLUE!! Invented the blue color for textiles and he
he travels the globe lecturing on this particular textile hue.

:eek:

Dont mention the TV show, with the hair pulling.

i watched a docu on joe orton a while ago and his sister said a line and it was line from a mozz song.
if anybodys got time ortons WHAT THE BUTLER SAW is on youtube it really is a masterpeace of writing and farce.

in todays value of the pound against the dollar its £225.69.look on it as an investment.
An investment is a purchase with tangible value that may be resold at an a appreciated price and/or pays dividends in the interim.

The percentage of the required elements to meet the definition of “investment” here?

ZERO.

An investment is a purchase with tangible value that may be resold at an a appreciated price and/or pays dividends in the interim.

The percentage of the required elements to meet the definition of “investment” here?

ZERO.
where did you read this shite from,christies website.

The Smiths:

Morrissey:

Mostly preaching to the choir here :) Discussed at length throughout the last 18+ years. Check the archive for further theories - some are very interesting. The bulk of sources were formally collated in 1999 by the now dead 'It May All End Tomorrow' site (later renamed) - most conversation has stemmed from this initial work. I would be interested to see the references in Mr. Dyment's book.
Regards,
FWD.

One I thought I'd found myself in 2004:
"Wiliam Golding:
"Marx, Darwin and Freud are the three most crashing bores of the Western World. Simplistic popularization of their ideas has thrust our world into a mental straitjacket from which we can only escape by the most anarchic violence."
Also...
In Dad's Army (UK Classic Sitcom) 'Wilson' uses the term in several episodes!"

Thanks. Very thorough. If I can add anything to this, I shall.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom