"'Ere Long Done Do Does Did" by Dave Dyment - Book/Art

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Famous when dead, May 31, 2018.

By Famous when dead on May 31, 2018 at 1:40 PM
  1. Famous when dead

Famous when dead Vulgarian

Dave Dyment
    'Ere Long Done Do Does Did
    Toronto, Canada: Self-published, 2018
    128 pp., 5 x 7", hardcover in slipcase
    Exhibition copy.

The result of about five years worth of research, 'Ere Long Done Do Does Did is a 128-page bookwork comprised entirely of pages from literature, poetry, film criticism and true crime books which have been source material for song lyrics by Morrissey and the Smiths. The pages are presented facsimile, and arranged in sequential order, according to the original page number. The first sentence in the volume is a line paraphrased for Morrissey's "I Know Who I Love" and the final line is lifted for the Smiths' "Well I Wonder".

[​IMG]

The cover graphic features Elizabeth Smart, the Ottawa writer whose 1945 classic novella By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept was used as the source of numerous early Smiths songs, and a few solo tracks. The verso features an image from the home of Joe Orton and his lover (and eventual murderer) Kenneth Halliwell. The walls are collaged with pages that the couple tore out of library books. The Smiths' song title "Death at One's Elbow" is taken verbatim from Orton's diaries, and the playwright was initially considered as a cover star for one of the band's LPs or singles.

The hardcover copy in a wooden slipcase pictured above is the exhibition copy. The work is sold as a softcover book, accompanied by one of six prints (see above), for $300 CDN. The prints are images of six of the source titles (of approximately 80), which have been annotated with colour coded tabs.

Contact [email protected] for details.

_TH_5731.jpg

tumblr_p84c71IDsL1sscnp2o2_540.jpg tumblr_p84c71IDsL1sscnp2o4_540.jpg _TH_5702.jpg

Interesting presentation.
    It appears to be a softbook copy of the art installation/exhibition and accompanied by prints.
    All information that has been shared here in detail previously I suspect - really 5 years of research!? That said, it probably took that long to source the physical materials.
    The "No Dad, I Won't Be Home Tomorrow" site collated tonnes of these sources as early as '98/'99 and has been referred to here continually throughout the years - a possible inspiration in itself?

Besides an email link, there isn't much purchasing information other than here:

http://artistsbooksandmultiples.blogspot.com/2018/01/dave-dyment-ere-long-done-do-does-did.html

http://davedyment.tumblr.com/post/173523454786/dave-dyment-ere-long-done-do-does-did-toronto#notes

All credit to David Dyment for his efforts.
    Regards,
    FWD.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 5

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Famous when dead, May 31, 2018.

1. GregCannon
      GregCannon
      Would love one, but $300?
    2. billybu69
      billybu69
      Now that is genius steal from someone, who stole from someone, and charge £300 for the pickings.
      • Like Like x 5
    3. Orson Swells
      Orson Swells
      I didn't realise anybody knew the lyrics to "I Know Who I Love".
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Mauricey
      Mauricey
      Sounds like a gorgeous book. When's Christmas?!
    5. gordyboy9
      gordyboy9
      in todays value of the pound against the dollar its £225.69.look on it as an investment.
    6. celibate
      celibate
    7. Truth
      Truth
      Artists have to pay bills, too. I understand not feeling it's worth buying but how much of a rip-off could it really be? There are costs involved and you're talking about something with a very limited market. A privately published book along with an art print for $300 is pretty reasonable.
      Compare it to $45 for a $3 t-shirt screenprinted with the latest Morrissey artwork and it doesn't really seem like such a cash grab.
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    8. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I never even heard of it until now. Where can I find the mp3? Maybe Morrissey Central.

9. Famous when dead
      Famous when dead
      It has been discussed here a few times.
      It is assumed to have been fully recorded and has never circulated openly.
      A member here has also stated they've heard it via a tape.
      Goddard mentions the lyrics which is probably the source Dyment is using (unless he's heard it too):

From Mozipedia:

"I Know Who I Love’ (Morrissey/Boorer), Studio outtake from the 1997 MALADJUSTED album sessions. In context of Maladjusted’s weaker crop, it’s baffling that Morrissey should have consigned one of its strongest contenders to the bin. With its starry-eyed melody and blood-rushing chorus the charming ‘I Know Who I Love’ was even worthy of consideration for a single. To the chagrin of co-writer Boz Boorer, it was bumped off the album, relegated as a potential B-side and then scrapped outright. It may be that, by the time of the album’s completion, Morrissey no longer empathised with its affectionate sentiment: ‘These words I scribble down/Observe the way that you work/You see it, you want it, you take it/And then it’s yours … I know who I love.’ The song also contained a reference to medication – these pills that I’m prescribed’ – while his ‘Having had the worst of times/Now I want the best of times’ evoked Charles DICKENS’s famous opening to A Tale Of Two Cities. Whatever the reasons for its exclusion from Maladjusted, the loss of ‘I Know Who I Love’ was a major oversight."

Regards,
      FWD.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    10. marred
      marred
      I can't tell if this is a joke or not. I choose joke because my brain can't handle the truth.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. celibate
      celibate
      be reasonable every devoted Smiths/Morrissey fan knows where Morrissey borrowed some part of the lyrics, I am with you, if your a real collector, this an item to add, but the price is high, no offence Truth.
    12. Truth
      Truth
      I agree that the price is high for a book. I just wanted people to consider the reasons why it might cost that and not call artists rip-offs for trying to survive. :thumb:
      • Like Like x 1
    13. DreamingofStew
      DreamingofStew
      I think, in general, people don't realise just how much Moz has, shall we say, alluded to various works of literature, older songs, television and film scripts and so on. Off the top of my head, I know the following:

"my flower-like life" - not a direct quote, but from Wilde's De Profundis.
      "the cell of my heart" - ditto.
      "Now I know how Joan of Arc felt" - Frankie Howerd says this to camera in some old episode of Up Pompeii! or something (I saw it).
      "And I'm not happy and I'm not sad." - Echoes the line, "I'm not sorry and I'm not glad" in A Taste of Honey by Shelagh Delaney (there are too many allusions to Delaney in early Smiths songs for me to list here.
      "Heaven Know's I'm Miserable Now!" - Obvious allusion to Sandie Shaw's 'Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now'.
      "Will the world end in the daytime?" - Line spoken in the film Rebel Without a Cause.

As I said, this is completely off the top of my head. There are innumerable other examples.

I even have the experience of reading - I think it was - Clock Without Hands, by Carson McCullers, and finding a line that made me wonder if Morrissey had lifted it for 'Papa Jack'.

I'd be interested to know if others here have spotted some obscure allusions.
    14. Famous when dead
      Famous when dead
      The Smiths:
      Morrissey:
      Mostly preaching to the choir here :) Discussed at length throughout the last 18+ years. Check the archive for further theories - some are very interesting. The bulk of sources were formally collated in 1999 by the now dead 'It May All End Tomorrow' site (later renamed) - most conversation has stemmed from this initial work. I would be interested to see the references in Mr. Dyment's book.
      Regards,
      FWD.

One I thought I'd found myself in 2004:
      "Wiliam Golding:
      "Marx, Darwin and Freud are the three most crashing bores of the Western World. Simplistic popularization of their ideas has thrust our world into a mental straitjacket from which we can only escape by the most anarchic violence."
      Also...
      In Dad's Army (UK Classic Sitcom) 'Wilson' uses the term in several episodes!"
      Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    15. billybu69
      billybu69
      tis a bargain, I'll take 3.
    16. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      Ask Jonny Bridgwood. He has a copy.
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    17. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I've not see this mentioned before, so may not be correct, but I'm almost certain that "Last of the International Playboys" was a line from Hancock's Half Hour.
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    18. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I just did. I said you had sent me. He said, "Who the fuck is UncleSkinny?' and slammed the phone down.

I will try again tomorrow.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      You really will have to try harder. Dearie me.