Entertainment Weekly's review of YATQ

B

Bigmouth Struck

Pardon me if this has been posted already...
I like the part where it says "nobody but Morrissey could purr 'you big fat pig' with such elegant panache" gave me a good chuckle .

pic171239.jpg

Im thinking maybe I Like You?

The beat seems a bit danceable to me. Not shake your booty kinda way, side to side dancing that is...

Thank the Lord for Jerry Finn and Roger Manning on I Like You!

Like everyone else, I'd been playing the Janice Long sessions very a long-ass time, and the thing with "I Like You" in its previous incarnation was that you could hear it was a great pop song but it was being held back by, quite frankly, DULL and generic music.

Enter the studio, with a terrific producer, an openess to some touches of synthesizer, and a desire to break from the past, and the makoeover is that of a swan blossoming out of what was ugly duckling backing music on the radio session. I mean seriously, compare the first 45 seconds. The first 45 seconds of the Janice Long session, I'm thinking YAWN, I wanna fast-forward to where Morrissey starts singing. On "Quarry," you've got this really interesting, buulding intro that, when finally the beat bursts out in full force, you feel its energy pulling you along and making you bop your head. You no longer have to sit there twiddling your thumbs waiting for the song to get going, as you did on the radio session.

The third single should definitely either be "I Have Forgiven Jesus" or this track, "I Like You."

Back
Top Bottom