"England Is Mine" trailer

I don't think this guy looks or sounds anything like Morrissey but I'll give it a watch sure

The speaking voice is spot on!
Loved 'Control' and have high hopes for this, i know it ends supposedly before 'The Smiths' but I'd love to see a scene of their first live performance, signalling the final shift from 'Steven' to 'Morrissey'

The speaking voice is spot on!
Loved 'Control' and have high hopes for this, i know it ends supposedly before 'The Smiths' but I'd love to see a scene of their first live performance, signalling the final shift from 'Steven' to 'Morrissey'
Agreed completely...Lowden studied, no doubt. And yes re. the ending.

I got shivers and a slight smile on my face , I can't wait to see it!! :love: So far great characterization.... good casting on Linder

Looks and sounds promising to me.
Much better then I expected.
I'll leave my fan-based prejudice on how Moz should be portrayed behind. The expectations of seeing some Moz-clone acting like him was a bit silly.

Looks like great storytelling and acting.
I think the movie should be viewed on it's own merits as such.
And it seems to have an interesting angle and view.
I wanna see it, absolutely!

Had kept an open mind, and this does look like a solid snapshot of the whole era.
Physically, Lowden is just very different in so many ways but the voice seems to get better as it goes along until it almost sounds like a recording of Moz for the final zinger about going down in history.
Nobody but M&J were on either side of that door, but the way it plays feels right.

Oh, and Linder...:flushed:

Cannot wait to see it - looks great
That being said - the only way to enjoy this is to view the film as "historical fiction." If people knit pick every scene and interaction it cannot be enjoyed. I caught myself questioning the reason why "Rusholme Ruffians" was being played during the :55 minute mark into the trailer. Then I relaxed and enjoyed.
Best part of the trailer is Morrissey's cardigan and reaction when Johnny Marr shows up - spot on as I imagined it.

I want to be optimistic- I really do. But I can't help but worry that this is going to be the end result of a bunch of writers going "How can we make every line extra, extra Morrissey-esque?" As a friend of mine put it, we already have Morrissey for that. Just look at any interview or his autobiography.

It's like Morrissey fans who try so hard to copy his mannerisms, hand on chin, overly thoughtful and measured, slinging those 50 cent words like their lives depend on it. Out of Morrissey, it's pretentious. Out of the fans, it's absolutely cringe inducing.

But will I watch it? Shut up!

(yes.)

I'll reserve judgment until I can actually see it, but it did look like an attempt to turn him into the ultimate folk hero or something. I enjoyed watching the personal transformation from the late 70's Morrissey to the more recognizable early 80's Morrissey.

The end scene with Johnny just about sells the entire thing.

I think what will be interesting here is the reaction of Morrissey and Marr. Since the demise of TTY, you're going to have to look on Facebook for some edict. I think the response will largely be governed by the feelings of the interested fan-base at large. If they like it, it would seem contrary (again) to swim against the tide. If they don't, then expect an excoriating 'misrepresentation' post. My feeling is that is if it's something about him that he personally is not making any money out of, he won't like it.

I think what will be interesting here is the reaction of Morrissey and Marr. Since the demise of TTY, you're going to have to look on Facebook for some edict. I think the response will largely be governed by the feelings of the interested fan-base at large. If they like it, it would seem contrary (again) to swim against the tide. If they don't, then expect an excoriating 'misrepresentation' post. My feeling is that is if it's something about him that he personally is not making any money out of, he won't like it.
That was my thought. If it does poorly, Morrissey will absolutely trash it. If it does well, maybe wins some awards, watch him attach himself to it like a Remora fish to a shark.

Looks quite watchable. Since there never can be an absolutely precise biopic, the only thing I really ever demanded were some witty dialogues - which I don't think will be missing for... it's about Morrissey. But still, I am a little bit put off - I probably shouldn't be - by the notion that everybody encouraged him all the time, held "Go out there and show them"-Speeches or cared too much about his mental health. The case was more likely the other way around, I think it was rather he who really had the will and hope to go down in musical history than anybody around him. I also don't think Linder was that happy, selfless and hopeful at the time. See, I expected nothing and am slightly disappointed still, so I must be the problem.

As a local lad, I recognise the green tiles of Stretford Public Hall staircase and the subway scenes next door at the Arndale / Stretford Mall. Both just around the corner from Kings Road.

And the brief shot of Hi, I'm Johnny - just lovely.

I was fairly ambivalent about the project up to now but has proper wet my appetite.

Dave

It looks... surprisingly promising to me. Lowden really captures that voice at times.
I agree. The voice is good. The actress playing Linder is far better looking than she was but I'm not gonna complain about that. Moz looks a bit too beefy, like Clark Kent before he turns into Superman. Still though.... it looks promising.... but what does it promise?

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom