Emoticons, LOL, and other crap.

Can someone please explain the value of emoticons to me?

Are you really such a poor writer that your words in and of themselves, and the contexts you structure them in, do not convey what you are saying, feeling, thinking? And so therefore you need to put silly little illustrations into your text so that everything can be broken down and spelled out with pictures as though no one has post-kindergarten level intuitive reading skills?

Similarly with people who say "LOL"...Jesus Christ.

And nothing's worse than the sideways punctuation face things.

How did Lester Bangs, Dostoevsky, Thurber, Salinger, Whitman, Thompson, etc. ever get by without the use of such tools? It's a mystery.

Here's to the total catering to lowest-common-denominator literary vacuity afforded us by the 21st century.

http://www.literalmayhem.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/f***-you2.jpg

:thumb:

Re: You ain't Hank!

the best thing going for this site these days is the emoticons, I frequently find myself longing for them elsewhere on the net, whoever put the package did an excellent job :thumb:

the best thing going for this site these days is the emoticons, I frequently find myself longing for them elsewhere on the net, whoever put the package did an excellent job :thumb:

I know, my favorite emoticons are here. They express my face and feelings perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone please explain the value of emoticons to me?

Are you really such a poor writer that your words in and of themselves, and the contexts you structure them in, do not convey what you are saying, feeling, thinking? And so therefore you need to put silly little illustrations into your text so that everything can be broken down and spelled out with pictures as though no one has post-kindergarten level intuitive reading skills?

Similarly with people who say "LOL"...Jesus Christ.

And nothing's worse than the sideways punctuation face things.

How did Lester Bangs, Dostoevsky, Thurber, Salinger, Whitman, Thompson, etc. ever get by without the use of such tools? It's a mystery.

Here's to the total catering to lowest-common-denominator literary vacuity afforded us by the 21st century.

http://www.literalmayhem.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/f***-you2.jpg

Am I correct in assuming what you are trying to say is:
:confused: :mock: :swear: :head-smack: :censored:?

I'm having a tough time determining whether you are being funny, frustrated, disparaging or irate. If only there was some convenient, succinct means of conveying intonation in text without resorting to writing a whole novel!

It's a sad symptom of the problem I'm talking about when a seven-line post is referred to as a novel.
Gosh Skylarker, Emoticons are used as shorthand. I think most people make posts quickly, inbetween doing other things (like working as I should be right now) and so they cannot be bothered to use the english language in all its magnificence. Its a wonderful thing.

I have the feeling I'm barking up the wrong tree here...

This is like going to the ghetto and bitching about why people feel they need to have guns.

I think I get your point Skylarker although using guns as an analogy for emoticons is over doing it somewhat!

Back
Top Bottom