Embrace vs. Moz: JUne5

Well, it's going to be difficult for The Youngest... to do as well as YHKM, I think, looking at the competition:

Duncan James - Sooner Or Later
Embrace - World At Your Feet
Lightning Seeds Ft Baddiel & Skinner - Three Lions
Mariah Carey - Say Somethin'
Nelly Furtado - Maneater
The Streets - Never Went To Church
Sugababes - Follow Me Home
Morrissey - The Youngest was The Most Loved

Not even mentioning the silly download rule.

I'm in the U.S. where there's no singles market anyway, but aside from Embrace and maybe Sugababes (?), are any of those really going to be competition for Morrissey? When You Wasn't Famous, the first single from the Streets album, came out the same day as You Have Killed Me and You Have Killed Me beat it.

Granted, people probably won't be as amped-up to buy the second single, being that the album's out and UK folk have seen him on tour... not starving for new Moz anymore. But looking at those titles, it looks like Morrissey has a decent shot at No. 3 again. I dunno, what do UK fans think?

love, math+

The Steets single consists of what sounds like a fourth former trying to play Hey Jude on the piano with Mike Skinner talking a load of nonsense over the top of it. Morrissey sounds positively majestic next to it and he must surely get the number one spot if there's any justice in the world.

sarahT said:
The Steets single consists of what sounds like a fourth former trying to play Hey Jude on the piano with Mike Skinner talking a load of nonsense over the top of it. Morrissey sounds positively majestic next to it and he must surely get the number one spot if there's any justice in the world.

Alas, The Streets have the considerable advantage of being A-Listed at Radio 1 and C-Listed at Radio 2, whilst Morrissey has to be content with a R2 b-listing and little else. I've no doubt that local radio & Virgin etc will be all over The Streets' latest pile of excrement whilst shunning almost anything half-decent.

Yeah but You Have Killed Me beat When You Wasn't Famous in the charts; they came out the same day; and I presume Radio 1 were all over When You Wasn't Famous as well?

love, math+

Frank's Wild Years said:
Alas, The Streets have the considerable advantage of being A-Listed at Radio 1 and C-Listed at Radio 2, whilst Morrissey has to be content with a R2 b-listing and little else. I've no doubt that local radio & Virgin etc will be all over The Streets' latest pile of excrement whilst shunning almost anything half-decent.

Yes I fear you are correct. Also, the rosy faced urchins who listen to Radio 1 probably haven't ever heard Hey Jude and they will think The Street's song is a great original tune.
Ah well, these things are sent to try us I suppose.

Last edited:
Moz will win hands down.

Everybody hates that Embrace song apart from those folk that become football fans every 4 years, that's those folk who have flags on their cars.

Back
Top Bottom