Edinburgh, Scotland - Usher Hall (July 30, 2012) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Alma Matters / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / You Have Killed Me / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / You're The One For Me, Fatty / Speedway / Maladjusted / Still Ill / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / I Know It's Over / Let Me Kiss You / People Are The Same Everywhere / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / I Will See You In Far Off Places / Meat Is Murder // How Soon Is Now?

set list provided by pubrockcoma

Last edited:
'What would Edinburgh be without the rain?'

Like it was last night?!?

It was raining heavily in Edinburgh last night...right up until about 7 p.m.

Also my use of that line as an opening statement was a (not very) sly reference to Morrissey as he asked the exact same question at the start of the concert.

I should have made that clear...sorry.

I was involved in setting up the list system, back in 2004. The idea was to make sure that people who queued all day, particularly younger people, were not f***ed over by queue jumpers.

We ran a fairly tight ship and the basic rules were as follows

- you had to do your time in the queue. no turning up, putting your name down then f***ing off to the pub for the day
- if you weren't there, you weren't on the list, regardless of how much of a regular you were.

My days of queueing are over now, so i'm not sure who is behind it now. However any keeping of places for people not on the list is an abuse of a good idea. Sorry to hear you were f***ed over

I do understand the system and can see what should come out of it, however, in relation to what you have replied it seems that the system is being abused. We stayed in the same place outside the doors since about ten o'clock and witnessed older fans arriving and the list organiser going up and either putting them on the list or checking that their name was already on it, not once acknowledging us. The majority of the people on it did go elsewhere until the queue started! I did manage to get a good place in the crowd when we went in, so wasn't too disheartened. I just think things like the list are there to be abused and used in an unfair way. Still had a good time though!

Last night was the 4th time I've seen moz, last nights performance was as good as Inverness , Manchester was great, but last night he was on top form, kirsteen young is very hot but her music lacks punch, frankie rose would of been a perfect support , she is truly amazing. And the build up music of shocking blue etc was so cool. Life without morrissey is unthinkable.

I would just like to say that Morrissey himself was absolutely fabulous last night. Personal highlights would have to have been the older Smiths type songs such as Still Ill, How Soon Is Now and Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want, although his solo work, too, was brilliant. I thought the order of songs was well done and spread really well. Meat Is Murder played along with the footage on show had me in tears and the staff at the Usher Hall were very helpful when I had to sit out as the heat had got a bit too much.
However, one thing that (for me, anyway) put a bit of a lousy spin on last night was the fans outside that have established some sort of superior Morrissey fan base and devised a 'list' which determines who gets to the front of the queue. If I had known about said list, I wouldn't have bothered travelling from Glasgow first thing in the morning to ensure that I would have a good position in the crowd. Sitting outside Usher Hall for around twelve hours amounted to nothing due to the fact that when the person in charge of the list decided it was time to form the 'proper' queue, people were lined up into some kind of order of hierarchy, of which the rest of us could do nothing about. When asked, the person in charge of the list could give no substantial answer as to why they were allowed to ensure their place at the front of the queue other than for the fact that they were "regulars."
I do understand that some of these people are very dedicated fans and had travelled far to get to Edinburgh, however that is the first time I had ever come across something like that. What happened to the days where to be at the front, you got a place in the queue early and waited until the doors opened? I personally think that this list concept is unfair and completely creates a divide in the fan base.
Despite this, I did get to meet some very friendly and charming people last night and, as mentioned at the start, Morrissey's performance was absolutely top-notch. I will definitely be going back to see Moz if he plays another Scottish date in the future (at least the next time I will know that there is absolutely no point in arriving early)!

A great night. Marred slightly (no pun intended) before the gig started by Mr Q. Until last night I thought that Q was the one who supplied exploding ballpoints to James Bond. However, it appears that Q is actually Mozzers new best friend (or so he thinks). Anyway, rant over. A truly great night. I hope that the two nice young ladies from Newcastle and the nice young man from Liverpool who I spoke to enjoyed the gig. I didn't manage to see you after the show but hope that you left as happy as me. It is good to see that some of the younger folks still "get" Morrissey.

Okay, so I have read the lengthy review, and it is very positive, which is great. However, it is written in more of an"evidence" piece where the writer is trying to convince his/her audience that the show/Morrissey is/was fantastic.

From the other reviews, it seems as though this gig was much better than Manchester.

I am still critical of the setlist--first, starting the set off with "Last Night" is somewhat of an energy drainer, as fans are chanting and pumped up for a grant/pounding entrance, and this song is the opposite. A great song, not an opener for me.

The other singles that could/should be cut for the U.S. leg include "Kill Me, Kiss You, People Are the Same, and Far off Places." As for Smiths songs, time to give How Soon is Now a break--same with Please, Please.

Hopefully, the setlist for the U.S. gig will be revamped with better songs.

Last Night I Dreamt is the greatest opening song I have ever seen him perform - (25+ gigs)

Hi.
My first ever time seeing Morrissey and I was not disappointed. I couldn't wait to see him as the excitement was reaching a creschendo by yesterday morning, and come just after 9pm, I was absolutely amazed. All the songs sounded great, and despite some of the negative comments on here, the band delivered the music perfectly.
I never realised the catchement of fans that would be at the gig, but there was a man in the queue called David, who at a guess was 50 years of age, he spent the whole day pretty much bad mouthing everyone, even people he had just been speaking to in the queue. He then spent the whole evening in the hall, from start to finish, bawling his eyes out like a baby.

The only downside was the people who just think they can push in and do as they like. A few people made it on to the stage, and one girl, who looked like frankenstein, got the microphone and asked Morrissey to come to wigan. Never heard of wigan, although he (Morrissey) was probably terrified by her.

Diane.

I saw him too, he was watching every move, seemed intent on "policing" the queue and wanted to know who certain people were, etc. He was very agitated before doors opened, we ended up far away from him so didn't see him crying lol whats that about. There were some boistorous lads behind us, they were having a great time and it added to the atmosphere to see such excitement. One of them got a handshake and looked like he'd won a medal he was chuffed

About the gig, it was a dream come true to see him in that venue, from the minute the mozza walked out on stage he had everyone in the palm of his hand, clutching on to evrey word he said. i have neve seen any other performer eject that response from a crowd, ever, ever.

I loved the backing vocals during Maladjusted, Gustavo, he has a great voice. He is a talented musician, noticed he was playing many instruments, he is a great addition to the morrissey family, all said, these are excellent musicians and they performed their guts out last night.

God Save The Moz! The one and only pop star on this planet ever - period.

I loved the backing vocals during Maladjusted, Gustavo, he has a great voice. He is a talented musician, noticed he was playing many instruments, he is a great addition to the morrissey family, all said, these are excellent musicians and they performed their guts out last night.

This. Gustavo gives it 100% at the American gigs I've seen, as do all the band. I hope he sticks around to record should that happen someday.

'but there was a man in the queue called David, who at a guess was 50 years of age, he spent the whole day pretty much bad mouthing everyone, even people he had just been speaking to in the queue. He then spent the whole evening in the hall, from start to finish, bawling his eyes out like a baby.

The only downside was the people who just think they can push in and do as they like. A few people made it on to the stage, and one girl, who looked like frankenstein, got the microphone and asked Morrissey to come to wigan. Never heard of wigan, although he (Morrissey) was probably terrified by her. Diane.'

I saw him too, he was watching every move, seemed intent on "policing" the queue and wanted to know who certain people were, etc. He was very agitated before doors opened, we ended up far away from him so didn't see him crying lol whats that about.

'David' managed to briefly log off from 24/7/365 duty on 'the forums' where, of course, the 'real' Morrissey afficionados hang out to share their implaccable obsession with Morrissey's 'inappropriate' choice of support act. There's always one or two 'out there' forum folk at shows, but last night sounds an absolute classic. iPAD-man, the Bride of Wigan-stein and 'David' with his 'challenging behaviour and difficult to meet needs'. I wonder what their forum screen-names are...

I know the UK Government is planning interventions to help 'troubled families', maybe they can come in and rehabilitate the sociopathic 'family' who congregate on the forums.

I guess it becomes harder and harder to separate 'fantasy and reality' when you're only contact with consensual reality is attending a Morrissey gig.

Yeah this list system was awful. Maybe when it was set up it was a good idea, but there were lots of people pissed off it, including me. The list apparently is for people who queue early enough, but they didn't queue, seemingly having a nice day round edinburgh after signing the list in the morning then coming back about 6pm and moving everyone else who had queued in the meantime to the back. ridiculously unfair

I'm wondering if this poor girl from Wigan is reading these comments. Seemed like a fairly harmless remark/person to me (and I was at the gig, and heard her) does she really need to be pilloried for her looks? So much for the good atmosphere.... 'Diane' I guess you thought you were the best looking girl in the crowd, but you sound like you were at the wrong gig, maybe Duran Duran's more your level.

A great night. Marred slightly (no pun intended) before the gig started by Mr Q. Until last night I thought that Q was the one who supplied exploding ballpoints to James Bond. However, it appears that Q is actually Mozzers new best friend (or so he thinks). Anyway, rant over. A truly great night. I hope that the two nice young ladies from Newcastle and the nice young man from Liverpool who I spoke to enjoyed the gig. I didn't manage to see you after the show but hope that you left as happy as me. It is good to see that some of the younger folks still "get" Morrissey.

Not going to let this fly under the radar. Please go on.

Great Gig!!!!! Seen him 5 times now, took my 14 yr old son, his first Mozza gig!. We had a great time, no problem with where we stood, and certainly no "List". Are you "List" people for real? Where i come from (Scotland) a queue is a queue, it doesn't get any easier.If i had joined the queue only to be told of a "List" i would have insturcted List person what to do with it! Read the Manchester reviews and was a bit worried but it was awsome! Start to finish superb. Two things i may have missed from previous comments, Why was Boz in drag? and What did COSH on the bands shirts mean? Great venue, maybe this was MEN Manchesters problem? Lets hope Morrissey keeps going and a new album isnt too far away, we enjoyed another night of his music, we are his fans because we all get him!

Peace to all.

I do understand the system and can see what should come out of it, however, in relation to what you have replied it seems that the system is being abused. We stayed in the same place outside the doors since about ten o'clock and witnessed older fans arriving and the list organiser going up and either putting them on the list or checking that their name was already on it, not once acknowledging us. The majority of the people on it did go elsewhere until the queue started! I did manage to get a good place in the crowd when we went in, so wasn't too disheartened. I just think things like the list are there to be abused and used in an unfair way. Still had a good time though!

This 'list' b.s. is befuddling to me. Under what/whose authority does it operate, and more importantly WHY does anyone abide by what someone else is telling you to do?

morrissey was brilliant in manchester he played such an unsual set..was on top form& his band..glad he did a good scottish show too

This 'list' b.s. is befuddling to me. Under what/whose authority does it operate, and more importantly WHY does anyone abide by what someone else is telling you to do?

The list was originally set up to provide back up to the queue order. there had been situations where younger teenagers had waited all day and then been queue jumped.

however if places are being kept for people who haven't queued then it's a sham

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom