Eddie Vedder joins Johnny on stage to sing "There Is A Light..."

Eddie Vedder joined Johnny Marr at the Ohana festival 29th Sept to sing There Is A Light.....
Will try and put a video of it on here later.

Posted by Famous when dead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not convinced at all by the vocals, but what strikes me is that JM is basically doing what he reproached to Mon, singing There is a light as an anthem.

There is a yarl that never goes yarl.

Eddie's one of those guys that I didn't like in his prime. Overly earnest, overly serious, and the music seemed formulated in a lab for maximum angst. This was entertaining, but I don't know that I'll ever revisit it. Kind of a disposable oddity. But it got press without resorting to weird antics, didn't it?

You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby?
Morrissey's played this about 10 times after The Smiths.
See the Swords live in Warsaw for a good recording.

I think Nowhere Fast is the least frequent. Marr has performed it once and Morrissey 4 times. To answer the question: no, I don't think he's played anything Moz hasn't done himself.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Never in a million years would I ever click on this. Eddie Vedder. Bleh.

Ahh, if only.

:thumb:

The ONLY WAY it should ever be done.

Without Morrissey singing it... could only turn out a travesty.

But, E Vedder !? JFC what a awful voice, if we can even call it that.

There is a yarl that never goes yarl.

Eddie's one of those guys that I didn't like in his prime. Overly earnest, overly serious, and the music seemed formulated in a lab for maximum angst. This was entertaining, but I don't know that I'll ever revisit it. Kind of a disposable oddity. But it got press without resorting to weird antics, didn't it?

I would call this incident a ‘ weird antic ‘. And
a crying shame Marr is ruining the Smiths legacy in this way.

Yeah,What’s up with that f..king yarl ?!
I remember when I first heard EV’s yarl and
felt it really must be the end of pop music. But wasn’t that like a thing at the time? that spread? like when you hear people sing with a fake ass country twang or southern drawl in their voice? I don’t know, always bothers me.

Last edited:
HORRIBLE SITUATION!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

DRAMAJ IS RUINING THE SMITHS LEGACY!!!:fearscream:

WITH HIS HORRENDOUS SINGING OF MOZ SONGS!!!!:flushed:

It appears Johnny returned the favour and came on stage to sing Hard Sun during Eddie's set on the 29th:

Not really my cup of tea, but I'm sure the ardent Marr fans will enjoy.
More my thing (from last week):

Regards,
FWD.

I would call this incident a ‘ weird antic ‘. And
a crying shame Marr is ruining the Smiths legacy in this way.

Yeah,What’s up with that f..king yarl ?!
I remember when I first heard EV’s yarl and
felt it really must be the end of pop music. But wasn’t that like a thing at the time? that spread? like when you hear people sing with a fake ass country twang or southern drawl in their voice? I don’t know, always bothers me.
I wouldn't say this was that weird. People sing with other people all the time. It's just a case of a weird voice to apply to The Smiths. It's overly masculine and affected, and doesn't work with the music.

Elsewhere on the internet, a version of E-bow the Letter by REM with Thom Yorke was hyped earlier in the week and I felt the same way. His vocal was thin, often off key, and neurotic in that Thom Yorke kind of way. I missed Patti Smith's vocal. I felt the same hearing Eddie. Like a beautiful dessert, topped with onions.

I wouldn't say this was that weird. People sing with other people all the time. It's just a case of a weird voice to apply to The Smiths. It's overly masculine and affected, and doesn't work with the music.

Elsewhere on the internet, a version of E-bow the Letter by REM with Thom Yorke was hyped earlier in the week and I felt the same way. His vocal was thin, often off key, and neurotic in that Thom Yorke kind of way. I missed Patti Smith's vocal. I felt the same hearing Eddie. Like a beautiful dessert, topped with onions.

Thin is a good way to describe York’s ... ‘voice’
Could never understand what people see in him, maybe the times just called for a new token weirdo that was safe, and he just fit the bill.

Back
Top Bottom