Question East West : re-visit

Devoted101

Crashing Bore
I looked back at former discussions of Morrissey’s take on East West.

I hate to dig-up old quibbles so hopefully that won’t happen here.

Did Morrissey ever get co-writing credits for changing the lyrics, specifically of an entire verse? “additional lyrics by” type thing?

Admittedly know little to nothing about international copyright law but when altering a song to that extent I had the impression that it had to be a cited. There are several reasons for this besides credit where credit is due.

I know when singing live you can play more than when you’ve committed it to vinyl and popped it shops that’s why I feel this is different. Also it’s not like he changed a word or two but an entire verse.

Do we know with certainty that Morrissey wrote those changes ?

(Yes yes I know. It couldn’t sniff MORE of Moz. I get this, but …)

Side note:

My smelly opinion is both versions are great. To me it’s hearing both sides of the same coin, if my muddled metaphor meshes here. I’d like to hear Sherman cover a Moz or Smith’s track. Oddly I think could hear Peter’s voice with “Frankly, Mr. Shankly” and “Girlfriend in a Coma.”

No re: Morrissey credit.
Gouldman is credited for the song.
Other than the entry in Autobiography & Noone's email, there's nothing much out there regarding the song.
Regards,
FWD.

I looked back at former discussions of Morrissey’s take on East West.

I hate to dig-up old quibbles so hopefully that won’t happen here.

Did Morrissey ever get co-writing credits for changing the lyrics, specifically of an entire verse? “additional lyrics by” type thing?

Admittedly know little to nothing about international copyright law but when altering a song to that extent I had the impression that it had to be a cited. There are several reasons for this besides credit where credit is due.

I know when singing live you can play more than when you’ve committed it to vinyl and popped it shops that’s why I feel this is different. Also it’s not like he changed a word or two but an entire verse.

Do we know with certainty that Morrissey wrote those changes ?

(Yes yes I know. It couldn’t sniff MORE of Moz. I get this, but …)

Side note:

My smelly opinion is both versions are great. To me it’s hearing both sides of the same coin, if my muddled metaphor meshes here. I’d like to hear Sherman cover a Moz or Smith’s track.

Oddly I think could hear Peter’s voice with “Frankly, Mr. Shankly” and “Girlfriend in a Coma.”

or There Speaks A True Friend or even Piccadilly Palare. And why not ? Noone once covered Bowie’s …..

Tags
east west linernotes
Back
Top Bottom