Ear Plugs at Gigs

The Cat's Mother

Unmentionable
Do you wear ear plugs to protect your hearing at gigs or while you rehearse music? Do you like the fancy noise attenuating type or do you think the simple foam stoppers are just as good? Your shopping recommendations, please.

Thanks,

Kate

:)

(First one to reply with "pardon?" is a git.)

I always wear ear plugs. I wear the simple foam ones:D I don't want to be deaf when I'm older;)

I always bring ear plugs to gigs, but when I'm there, and the band starts playing, I take them out because I think it'll be worth the tinnitus. Then, of course, I regret it for the next few weeks :p But I don't know what to do when I'll see Morrissey. I've never seen him before, and maybe, this time it actually IS worth the tinnitus ;) (I already have tinnitus, I've had it since I was 13, but it always get worse after a concert, and it lasts 2-3 weeks)

I'm a firm believer in ear plugs at shows. Have been wearing them for years. While seeing Moz, I tend to take them in and out. Hear a song with them in, a song with them out; one ear then the other etc.

Foolishly while at the most recent gigs I dropped one of the plugs at 2 different gigs. So I did 2 nights with no ear plugs and my left ear drum is still fluttering and I still have pain. I have ear problems though.

But it's better safe than sorry for everyone. You want your hearing to last your whole life right? So wear some ear plugs, ya turkey! For your health!

I always wear ear plugs. I wear the simple foam ones:D I don't want to be deaf when I'm older;)

Sensible Ms Chic. :) I've been taking really cheap single-use polythene coated ones along to gigs but they're not a good fit and they muffle everything, so I'm looking for alternatives. I do have some hearing loss and tinnitus but that runs in the family; I don't have a significant history of exposing myself to loud noise.

I always bring ear plugs to gigs, but when I'm there, and the band starts playing, I take them out because I think it'll be worth the tinnitus. Then, of course, I regret it for the next few weeks :p But I don't know what to do when I'll see Morrissey. I've never seen him before, and maybe, this time it actually IS worth the tinnitus ;) (I already have tinnitus, I've had it since I was 13, but it always get worse after a concert, and it lasts 2-3 weeks)

I too have had a mild-ish degree tinnitus most of my adult life, but then hearing problems run in my family. Now I'm in my forties I'm giving more consideration to preserving what hearing I have. The plugs I've been using are a bit crap and uncomfortable, so I've fallen into a policy of "keep 'em in for the support and risk the tinnitus for the main act."

In the early 80's, I got dragged along to a Hawkwind gig; I suppose I could blame that for accellerating the damage. :D

I'm a firm believer in ear plugs at shows. Have been wearing them for years. While seeing Moz, I tend to take them in and out. Hear a song with them in, a song with them out; one ear then the other etc.

Foolishly while at the most recent gigs I dropped one of the plugs at 2 different gigs. So I did 2 nights with no ear plugs and my left ear drum is still fluttering and I still have pain. I have ear problems though.

But it's better safe than sorry for everyone. You want your hearing to last your whole life right? So wear some ear plugs, ya turkey! For your health!

Yes, indeed. I have a few gigs lined up and I shall be Plug Lady (not as rude as it sounds)! I could do with some brand recs, though.

Do you wear ear plugs to protect your hearing at gigs or while you rehearse music? Do you like the fancy noise attenuating type or do you think the simple foam stoppers are just as good? Your shopping recommendations, please.

Thanks,

Kate

:)

(First one to reply with "pardon?" is a git.)

I only wore ear plugs when rehearsing because it's a much smaller space and I have head aches very easily. On concerts I don't, ever, I'm too excited for that and I just wan't to scream and jump carelessly.

I've never tryed wearing them. can you still hear okay if you wear them to reherse

I do, when I remember to, I have a bad habit of forgetting them when I go to a show.This is all thanks to a Dinosaur jr. show in 1994,I was on J Mascic's side of the stage, front row.He enjoys using 6 to 8 marshall stack amps at highest volume.Since that show I have had a slight buzz or ringing in my ears, I have to sleep with t.v. or music playing or I will never fall asleep.Fun.

I do, when I remember to, I have a bad habit of forgetting them when I go to a show.This is all thanks to a Dinosaur jr. show in 1994,I was on J Mascic's side of the stage, front row.He enjoys using 6 to 8 marshall stack amps at highest volume.Since that show I have had a slight buzz or ringing in my ears, I have to sleep with t.v. or music playing or I will never fall asleep.Fun.

I know the feeling. For similar reasons I have to sleep with a fan. Welcome to hearing loss! :thumb::tears:

I do if I'm close to the speaker stacks. If I'm in the balcony or center or such I usually don't....unless Kristeen Young is playing. Then I put them in and really jam them in tightly. :)

At the Stockton show in 2007 I was right next to the stage, right side, right by the speakers. It was so loud and had forgot my ear plugs. I did have some paper in my pocket, so I chewed it up a bit and put the paper wads in my ears. There is no way I could have survived without them.

I wear 'em and have been doing so for many years (all my friends were in bands, when I was younger so I went to a lot of gigs in my 20s). I like the basic foam ones you roll into skinny tubes, stick in yr ears, and they expand. I always bring extras and offer them to the people around me. Out in the world, day to day, preserving my kids' hearing has always been a big deal to me; I do everything I can to protect them.

Every time you are exposed to loud noise, yr hearing is damaged. Period. Protect yr ears. I'm sure it's apocryphal, but I recently read that the high-pitched whine you hear the next day is the receptors of that frequency giving their last hurrah, and after that ears-ringing experience, you never hear that frequency again. As I said, I'm sure it's a myth, but the image in my mind of tiny, screaming, dying hearing cells (or whatever) made enough of an impression that you won't catch me without earplugs at any live gig.

(Plus, I think gigs sound better with the noise dampened, anyhow).

--jeniphir

I do if I'm close to the speaker stacks. If I'm in the balcony or center or such I usually don't....unless Kristeen Young is playing. Then I put them in and really jam them in tightly. :)

At the Stockton show in 2007 I was right next to the stage, right side, right by the speakers. It was so loud and had forgot my ear plugs. I did have some paper in my pocket, so I chewed it up a bit and put the paper wads in my ears. There is no way I could have survived without them.

Ha! I still have quite a stock of the single-use cheapo ones. If we are subjected to Kristeen at Hull, she'll at least be providing a marketing opportunity for me to flog off my leftovers in the queue.

For myself, I like the sound of the Elacin (aka Etymotic) EP20 attenuation plugs (from just over £7 if you shop around). I'll grab some decent foamies as well and experiment a bit. :)

I'm sure it's apocryphal, but I recently read that the high-pitched whine you hear the next day is the receptors of that frequency giving their last hurrah, and after that ears-ringing experience, you never hear that frequency again.

I heard Keller say that to Beecher in an episode of Oz. Who says that violent, nekkid, gay prison-sex dramas aren't educational, eh?

Ha! I still have quite a stock of the single-use cheapo ones. If we are subjected to Kristeen at Hull, she'll at least be providing a marketing opportunity for me to flog off my leftovers in the queue.

For myself, I like the sound of the Elacin (aka Etymotic) EP20 attenuation plugs (from just over £7 if you shop around). I'll grab some decent foamies as well and experiment a bit. :)

I bought a box of 200 of these from Amazon for $6.99 some time back. They were on an extra sale for some reason. Currently they are $15.99
These will last me for a while. At the local stores, a pack of 3 or 4 pair cost about $5-$8 so this was a good bargain.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-...d_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1238780071&sr=8-1

Milwaukee 49-17-3100 Bulk Box of 200 Disposable Earplugs, NRR 29 db

51zQN3Wtc4L._SS400_.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I heard Keller say that to Beecher in an episode of Oz. Who says that violent, nekkid, gay prison-sex dramas aren't educational, eh?

I liked that show also. I still want to know how Adabeesy (sp?) kept that little hat on. What a character!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tags
mutton jeff pardon?
Back
Top Bottom