Dylan and Moz - another severed alliance?

B

Bodymoz

I don't know shit about music, so my holy trinity has been, successively, Marc Bolan, Bob Dylan and Moz, aka a geek and two poets.
Bolan's influence on Moz is well-known, but I've never ever seen any references to Dylan. Are Dylan and Moz just that far apart or is Dylan the Harold Bloomian father never acknowledged?
Pray tell if you know/suspect anything?!

Love and Theft

Don't know if Morrissey's a fan but Dylan's last album is as funny as anything Morrissey's ever done. Highly recommended.

Generally speaking there are similarities between Dylan and Morrissey: yada yada yada storytellers yada yada yada witty couplets yada yada yada demand to be read as poets yada yada yada. And yada.

You could almost pick any two "serious" lyricists in pop music and make the same comparison, though.

More concretely, I don't think there's any similarity between Dylan and Morrissey. My understanding of Dylan's writing is that its primary influence is the work of the Beats, and I strongly doubt that Morrissey would have anything to do with the rambling incoherence of those writers. In fact-- and this is just a suspicion-- I'm betting Morrissey reviles Dylan. Best to call them both gifted pop lyricists and limit the comparison there.

I wouldn't be shocked if Marr liked Dylan.

Back
Top Bottom