Dublin National Stadium - where it all began...

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
(Feel free to shove this to Tour forum if necessary)
Calling all old-timers...
So only 2 more shows til Morrissey touchwood returns to the scene of his debut proper concert. On 27th of April 1991 Moz kicked off his 'Kill Uncle' World Tour (!) at the National Boxing Stadium in Dublin. My only vivid experience of it was sitting in the library on a wet 'NME' Wednesday reading Stuart Maconie's brilliant, breathless review of proceedings, and poring over K.Cummins wonderful photographs.
So I just wondered if anybody on here was there that night, and, as part of the pre-fight build up to Monday night, would they care to share their memories, stories, photos, bruises, etc.
From most accounts it sounded like an historic evening. Shame no film footage of it exists (or does it?), and all we have are Cummins' shots. Linder Sterling doesn't seem to have shot it.

Re: Dublin National Stadium ~ where it all began...

I remember MuchMusic in Canada aired footage of this concert. I emailed them years ago if they ever planned to show the entire concert but they didn't reply.

Yep

Joe I was there and it was incredible. The atmosphere the anticipation. The setlist. Pre internet nobody knew what he was going to play. The stage was awash with flowers. He nearly fell over 4 or 5 times. There was numerous stage invasions. He sang terribley:( and the band were awful but 3 weeks ago they playing at a working mans club in Camden. It didnt take away from a great night. He gave a mention to Johnny Thunders who had just passed away and sang Trash also Thats Entertainment was a highlight. It was my first of 26 Moz shows and am really looking forward to Monday (still looking for a GEN AD insead of my seating ticket.) Anyway a truely excellent concert (apart from the singing and the music:)) It was all about the occasion

cossy

Yep

Joe I was there and it was incredible. The atmosphere the anticipation. The setlist. Pre internet nobody knew what he was going to play. The stage was awash with flowers. He nearly fell over 4 or 5 times. There was numerous stage invasions. He sang terribley:( and the band were awful but 3 weeks ago they playing at a working mans club in Camden. It didnt take away from a great night. He gave a mention to Johnny Thunders who had just passed away and sang Trash also Thats Entertainment was a highlight. It was my first of 26 Moz shows and am really looking forward to Monday (still looking for a GEN AD insead of my seating ticket.) Anyway a truely excellent concert (apart from the singing and the music:)) It was all about the occasion

cossy
Thank you cossy.
I think the whole 'Kill Uncle' 'world tour' was more about the occassion than the vocals/musicianship! It was just such a joy to see him back on tour again, cos in the 4 years since the split you really despaired of him ever getting back out there. Most of the '91 shows were this extraordinary connection between the audience and the 'star' that went beyond music and singing (kinda like Jedward now ;)). When you think about it now it was a kind of an insane thing for Moz to do ~ taking a bunch of rockabilly london lads around the world, learning on the job. He probably could have had his pick of the best 'session men' going at that time.
Anyway, hoping for a stunner come Monday. Wonder if he'll mention the last time? Or whip out 'Pregnant' and astonish us all :eek:

incredible night. just a frenzy.
It seemed like everyone else made it onstage (or tried too) apart from me!

I always remember that when he walked onstage banging a tambourine (can't remember now what was written on it) that my first, very random, thought was "he's a lot taller than I expected".

so many flowers onstage that when they came back out for encore Alain slipped, pretty dramatically , smashing himself and his guitar onto the stage.

other memories around that gig are the panicky sprinting down Grafton St from HMV to Golden Discs to get tickets (no ticketmaster.com then) and then buying a bootleg tape of it from that 2nd hand/bootleg record shop in Crown Alley/Merchant's Arch , upstairs, opposite the Merchant Barbers (or where it was then anyway) .

not going to Monday's gig (although these memories are making me wish i was!!) so will just have to make do with digging out that tape when am back in Dublin for the weekend.

sorry for rambling!

Evin

I was there also.
My first ever Morrissey gig. I remember clearly not having anyone to go with as all my like minded friends seemed to be living in London or New York at the time. Ireland was in the final stages of dreary post 80's recession and I certainly didn't want to go on my own.
A friend of my brother's came with me, hardly knew him, but by the end of the night we were bonded forever by the brilliance of that night.
My memories are sketchy, as it is a long time ago!
However I do remember struggling to hold back the tears when he came on stage.Seem to remember a gold see thru shirt that Morrissey wore. He suggestively stripped it off, so Frinky!
Ah..the memories.
Roll on next Monday night.

Last edited:
Re: Dublin National Stadium ~ where it all began...

I remember MuchMusic in Canada aired footage of this concert. I emailed them years ago if they ever planned to show the entire concert but they didn't reply.

They don't have the whole show. They just have that footage meant to promote the tour.

Stephane

"It's really touching but if you don't come on the stage then we can play better"

That's what Morrissey said that night.With what happend in Liverpool and getting the heckler thrown out in Hamburg I think we better be on our best behaviour Monday night and send our love towards the stage.

I was there. My first time. I remember the first song was Interesting Drug. Morrissey had to say that people invading the stage was touching, but he wanted to sing. It was wonderful and a few days later I just had to fly to Holland and Germany to see more. I haven't been able to stop myself since then...

Mark E Nevin was there. I spoke to him. He said the songs needed more playing.

Ah yes...the National Stadium gig. I remember it very well. Lots of pints of plain (porter) for 75p; bowls of coddle; tearing up flowers in a nearby garden; bigger and better quiffs; beige coloured buses; a one and one from Leo Burdocks; Bewley's clattery cafe; Bonker bars; 20% unemployment....Perfect!

"This is a new song for the bootleggers and its called Pregnant for the last Time...."

(Feel free to shove this to Tour forum if necessary)
Calling all old-timers...
So only 2 more shows til Morrissey touchwood returns to the scene of his debut proper concert. On 27th of April 1991 Moz kicked off his 'Kill Uncle' World Tour (!) at the National Boxing Stadium in Dublin. My only vivid experience of it was sitting in the library on a wet 'NME' Wednesday reading Stuart Maconie's brilliant, breathless review of proceedings, and poring over K.Cummins wonderful photographs.

I wasn't there, but I remember quite vividly picking up that NME you mention at a newsstand that week. Such an amazing review and amazing photograph. I'll never understand the hatred some people have against NME around these parts, when in reality they were so supportive of Moz in that 1983-1994 era (with the odd exception - 'Madstock') and that full page 1991 Dublin-review was certainly a very important one as it established Moz as a live-force to be reckoned with after a very difficult 2 years.

Thank you to all. That was a nice trip down memory alley, esp. punky ~ I now feel like I was there, almost!
Now, to the Future ~ Roll on Monday night! :guitar:

Back
Top Bottom