Dublin - 3Arena (Dec. 1, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / World Peace Is None of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / Smiler With Knife / The Bullfighter Dies / Trouble Loves Me / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / Meat is Murder / Scandinavia / Yes, I Am Blind / Kick the Bride Down the Aisle / Mountjoy / Speedway + I Didn't Know What To Do + Speedway // Asleep / Everyday Is Like Sunday

set list provided by setlist.fm, link posted by Morran.

Last edited:
There is a fan page actully worse...Stern Fan Network is the most hatefilled boards from fans. There is a thread of 32 thousand entries of crudely photoshopped characters on the show.

Thanks for the heads-up. I could do with a new challenge to keep my troll skillz up to date.

best
BB

What a great night, venue was fantastic , dublin incredible as always, moz looked and sounded amazing, seemed happy and content, this was my first time at the front row and it was great, temple bar after the show was great as well, Dublin crowd seemed a little bit reserved compared to glasgow/ scottish crowds but I suppose most places would seem tame compared to glasgow gigs, come on moz, time to announce final date of tour is in scotland, just like 2 years ago, tour finished in usher hall Edinburgh and it was emotional

Yeah, sorry, meant Boxers tour. Either way, Moz has always played Smiths songs in his sets.

The band back then were better, in my opinion, and even up to 2004 and Alain's playing on the Who put the M in Manchester DVD, the band were good.

I have enjoyed listening to concerts from recent times because I think Moz's voice is as good as it's ever been. The band is as weak as it's ever been. As for the new songs, I like them. They're certainly not classics, but they're certainly better than other crap that's out there at the moment. Trouble loves me and Yes, I am blind both sound superb. And this is thanks to Moz, not the hotel lobby backing band.

- - - Updated - - -

Mikey V. over Gustavo any day of the week...

Mikey V. huh...who the hell is Mikey V...jackass. At least sound like you know something about Morrissey. Gustavo is amazing in all aspects. Mikey F!! was an excellent musician but Gustavo brings much more to the M table.

Yeah, sorry, meant Boxers tour. Either way, Moz has always played Smiths songs in his sets.

The band back then were better, in my opinion, and even up to 2004 and Alain's playing on the Who put the M in Manchester DVD, the band were good.

I have enjoyed listening to concerts from recent times because I think Moz's voice is as good as it's ever been. The band is as weak as it's ever been. As for the new songs, I like them. They're certainly not classics, but they're certainly better than other crap that's out there at the moment. Trouble loves me and Yes, I am blind both sound superb. And this is thanks to Moz, not the hotel lobby backing band.

- - - Updated - - -

Mikey V. over Gustavo any day of the week...

You're an idiot Luke Action McClure. If you haven't noticed, it's a WPINOYB tour. Derrr. He has slowly been steering away from the Smiths if you research his recent years of performing live. HE'S NOT THE SMITHS...HE'S MORRISSEY...get it through your dense head.

The band back then were horrible. You obviously are NOT a musician. And if you are, I bet you've talked yourself into believing that you can do better. Silly Luke, is Johnny Marr hiring you to troll? It shows. Now shut your trap and go back to the 80's. Moron.

Mikey V. huh...who the hell is Mikey V...jackass. At least sound like you know something about Morrissey. Gustavo is amazing in all aspects. Mikey F!! was an excellent musician but Gustavo brings much more to the M table.

Hahahahahaha. You f***ing idiot.

You're an idiot Luke Action McClure. If you haven't noticed, it's a WPINOYB tour. Derrr. He has slowly been steering away from the Smiths if you research his recent years of performing live. HE'S NOT THE SMITHS...HE'S MORRISSEY...get it through your dense head.

The band back then were horrible. You obviously are NOT a musician. And if you are, I bet you've talked yourself into believing that you can do better. Silly Luke, is Johnny Marr hiring you to troll? It shows. Now shut your trap and go back to the 80's. Moron.

The band back when? Horrible how?

I'm not a musician. And not a massive fan of Marr, but I like The Smiths.

Tip: If you want to be taken even slightly seriously, don't use 'Derrr'. It makes you sound like a 14 year old girl with learning difficulties.

Monday was a stressful day and it looked like I would make it 10 mins after Moz arrived on stage. (Thanks to BlueMoz from the London gig who tipped me off that he comes on stage at 8:50, which proved exactly correct).
Instead I cancelled everything and arrived an hour before the support. I will be picking up the pieces as a result for a long time, but it was worth every minute, and every euro I paid for the tickets.

Song Highlights:
Mountjoy: absolutely touching. Introduced as Dublin’s worst hotel, this ode to the Victorian prison was like a love song (in Morrissey’s inimitable way) to the whole city, and by extension, to the audience, which made it beautiful. That for me was the overall theme of the night.
He seemed genuinely delighted, proud, and grateful to be back in Dublin, one of his spiritual homes.
He introduced “Boz Boorer: From the Dodder”.
When Moz gestured to a giant Brendan Behan on the screen behind him, I felt his connection with the city and the people was complete, done in his own unique, indirect way.
Asleep: I nearly cried during this, the emotion reached a peak here, partly because I wondered is he dying. And what will happen when he does? Will he have alienated everyone in the world by then, in a deliberate grand gesture of artful self-destruction, slipping away in the night alone, adored by millions, never letting anyone in. I wondered was this the last time I would see this genius. This song was desperately sad, haunting, delicate and transported me to another world.
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul: I’ve always loved the way Morrissey pays tribute to specific locations. On the night Dublin was the primary one. Istanbul / Paris were also beautiful portraits, with wonderfully built atmosphere throughout. A lovesong to Paris about the absence of love, wonderful.
Trouble Loves Me/ Yes, I am Blind: These two were exquisite slow numbers towards the end, where I was reminded of the lyrical prowess of this genius “In the half-light, so English, frowning” / “Yes, I am Blind, but I do see that Evil people prosper, over the likes of you, and me, always. God, come down, IF you really care, as you are the one who claims to care”
Staircase at the University / Speedway I loved the Gilbert O Sullivan song midway through Speedway as an interval, it was a really cleverly intertwined with the song.
Everyday Is Like Sunday: what a finale – I found myself punching the air going slightly insane.
Meat Is Murder: I made a point of looking around and there were many women in particular who had the head in their hands during the video for this. I made a point of watching the film in the background, which was inside hidden camera footage of abattoirs, chicken farms, and food factories around the world. It was as extreme and gruesome as it could possible have been.
I noticed that there were hotdog stands outside, which was a little ironic.
Stage invasions – 2 people came close and I felt sorry for them that they didn’t quite make it. Moz stretched his hand to them, appearing to want to help them up…. but withdrew it just at the last moment when it seemed they could give him a hug, a metaphor for his relationships in general.
However, he seemed to shake hands with many people in the crowd through the gig, and he was warmer and friendlier to the audience than I have ever seen him.

Delivery
What I was reminded of last night was this: You are able to hear every single word he sings. That is unique. And when those words are the most finely crafted lyrics every composed, that hits you right in the soul. Its clear that he considers each word so important that he delivers it sharply and clearly so that the message is complete. So many other bands mumble the songs, and you might pick out a few words of the chorus.

Ready-with Ready wit
“If you have a degree in anthropology, or have a spade, or in Dublin should I say shovel, you might be able to find our new album”
“Are you ever stopped in the street and asked by someone are you mad? Well imagine being me”
“You couldn’t improve upon the architecture of this city”

Support act: Anna Calvi:
Normally I’m cautious about any Morrissey support act. His insecurity rarely allows anyone decent fill this slot. That wasn’t the case in Dublin, where he chose the wonderful Anna Calvi – stunningly beautiful, playing mesmerising screaming guitar tunes. It reminded me of My Bloody Valentine in parts, that delicate feminine vocal singing over a slightly violent chainsaw guitar riff. I just wish she spoke to us a bit more and let us get to know her, as I’d say she’s lovely.

New generation of fans:
Over the years, I’ve watched my fellow fans get older and greyer. Last night I noticed something fantastic: there seems to be a hint of a new generation coming along, possibly the teenage sons and daughters of fans of the Smiths who are being introduced to the icon.

Video montage :
The pre-show video montage is getting better all of the time. It really sets the scene well before he enters the stage. I particularly loved the black and white video of Sandy Shaw singing by the docks of Manchester. It was romantic, nostalgic and beautiful and aligned with the theme of the show perfectly.

Overall, that was a life changing gig. I felt like I was witnessing a genius, a legend, possibly for the last time before he dies. And he seemed the happiest I had seen him in 20 years, to be home in the city of his parents and with which he seemed to have a genuine affection and connection.

Keano

Tip: If you want to be taken even slightly seriously, don't use 'Derrr'. It makes you sound like a 14 year old girl with learning difficulties.

I'm not going to waste my energy on you. If you're not a musician, shut your face.

Funny, "Derr" is the sound you project when you write so.....you're saying....you are a 14 year old girl?

"And not a massive fan of Marr, but I like The Smiths."
Turn off your computer and like I said, moron, go back to the 80's.

"In a message to fans on his website, the former Smiths frontman wrote: “I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. Has England ever been quite so foul with patriotism?”

Morrissey, who famously draped himself in the Union flag during a 1992 concert in Finsbury Park, has made several bids for attention this year by making public pronouncements which he hoped would prove controversial."

Monday was a stressful day and it looked like I would make it 10 mins after Moz arrived on stage. (Thanks to BlueMoz from the London gig who tipped me off that he comes on stage at 8:50, which proved exactly correct).
Instead I cancelled everything and arrived an hour before the support. I will be picking up the pieces as a result for a long time, but it was worth every minute, and every euro I paid for the tickets.

Song Highlights:
Mountjoy: absolutely touching. Introduced as Dublin’s worst hotel, this ode to the Victorian prison was like a love song (in Morrissey’s inimitable way) to the whole city, and by extension, to the audience, which made it beautiful. That for me was the overall theme of the night.
He seemed genuinely delighted, proud, and grateful to be back in Dublin, one of his spiritual homes.
He introduced “Boz Boorer: From the Dodder”.
When Moz gestured to a giant Brendan Behan on the screen behind him, I felt his connection with the city and the people was complete, done in his own unique, indirect way.
Asleep: I nearly cried during this, the emotion reached a peak here, partly because I wondered is he dying. And what will happen when he does? Will he have alienated everyone in the world by then, in a deliberate grand gesture of artful self-destruction, slipping away in the night alone, adored by millions, never letting anyone in. I wondered was this the last time I would see this genius. This song was desperately sad, haunting, delicate and transported me to another world.
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul: I’ve always loved the way Morrissey pays tribute to specific locations. On the night Dublin was the primary one. Istanbul / Paris were also beautiful portraits, with wonderfully built atmosphere throughout. A lovesong to Paris about the absence of love, wonderful.
Trouble Loves Me/ Yes, I am Blind: These two were exquisite slow numbers towards the end, where I was reminded of the lyrical prowess of this genius “In the half-light, so English, frowning” / “Yes, I am Blind, but I do see that Evil people prosper, over the likes of you, and me, always. God, come down, IF you really care, as you are the one who claims to care”
Staircase at the University / Speedway I loved the Gilbert O Sullivan song midway through Speedway as an interval, it was a really cleverly intertwined with the song.
Everyday Is Like Sunday: what a finale – I found myself punching the air going slightly insane.
Meat Is Murder: I made a point of looking around and there were many women in particular who had the head in their hands during the video for this. I made a point of watching the film in the background, which was inside hidden camera footage of abattoirs, chicken farms, and food factories around the world. It was as extreme and gruesome as it could possible have been.
I noticed that there were hotdog stands outside, which was a little ironic.
Stage invasions – 2 people came close and I felt sorry for them that they didn’t quite make it. Moz stretched his hand to them, appearing to want to help them up…. but withdrew it just at the last moment when it seemed they could give him a hug, a metaphor for his relationships in general.
However, he seemed to shake hands with many people in the crowd through the gig, and he was warmer and friendlier to the audience than I have ever seen him.

Delivery
What I was reminded of last night was this: You are able to hear every single word he sings. That is unique. And when those words are the most finely crafted lyrics every composed, that hits you right in the soul. Its clear that he considers each word so important that he delivers it sharply and clearly so that the message is complete. So many other bands mumble the songs, and you might pick out a few words of the chorus.

Ready-with Ready wit
“If you have a degree in anthropology, or have a spade, or in Dublin should I say shovel, you might be able to find our new album”
“Are you ever stopped in the street and asked by someone are you mad? Well imagine being me”
“You couldn’t improve upon the architecture of this city”

Support act: Anna Calvi:
Normally I’m cautious about any Morrissey support act. His insecurity rarely allows anyone decent fill this slot. That wasn’t the case in Dublin, where he chose the wonderful Anna Calvi – stunningly beautiful, playing mesmerising screaming guitar tunes. It reminded me of My Bloody Valentine in parts, that delicate feminine vocal singing over a slightly violent chainsaw guitar riff. I just wish she spoke to us a bit more and let us get to know her, as I’d say she’s lovely.

New generation of fans:
Over the years, I’ve watched my fellow fans get older and greyer. Last night I noticed something fantastic: there seems to be a hint of a new generation coming along, possibly the teenage sons and daughters of fans of the Smiths who are being introduced to the icon.

Video montage :
The pre-show video montage is getting better all of the time. It really sets the scene well before he enters the stage. I particularly loved the black and white video of Sandy Shaw singing by the docks of Manchester. It was romantic, nostalgic and beautiful and aligned with the theme of the show perfectly.

Overall, that was a life changing gig. I felt like I was witnessing a genius, a legend, possibly for the last time before he dies. And he seemed the happiest I had seen him in 20 years, to be home in the city of his parents and with which he seemed to have a genuine affection and connection.

Keano

What a beautifully crafted

review.
The odious creatures who normally
post bile on this site should take note.

"In a message to fans on his website, the former Smiths frontman wrote: “I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. Has England ever been quite so foul with patriotism?”

Morrissey, who famously draped himself in the Union flag during a 1992 concert in Finsbury Park, has made several bids for attention this year by making public pronouncements which he hoped would prove controversial."

What has this quote got to do with Morrissey's appearance onstage in Dublin last night? *confused.com* Did you mean to post it on the Madness thread, perhaps?

best
BB

It was a quotation from The Independent's review of the show. It aptly highlights Morrissey's hypocrisy & current M.O and was posted here to remind the Yesmen that they're worshipping a tool. A supremely talented tool, but still a tool...

It was a quotation from The Independent's review of the show. It aptly highlights Morrissey's hypocrisy & current M.O and was posted here to remind the Yesmen that they're worshipping a tool. A supremely talented tool, but still a tool...

And you're spending your time reading, thinking and writing about a pop star that you don't like.

The false polarised argument rears its tedious head yet again. The Yes-men / No-men choice is the ludicrous, bullshit interpretation promulgated by mods & trolls. Everyone knows that real critical thinking is all about shades of grey, not exaggerated extremes. When people with brains criticise the constant anti-Moz sneering on here (the way the same old trolls wilfully misrepresent SPM's every thought, word and deed so as to portray him in a negative light), the lazy, predictable response of mods and trolls is to call those people with brains "Yes-men" or some variation of that. But nobody really believes that accusation - it's the last resort of those with no credibility. I don't worship the ground Moz walks on, I don't think he can do no wrong. I can also recognise bullshit where I see it. The problem with the mods/trolls on here is that they are trying to call out SPM's bullshit, but they are just as big bullshitters themselves so they have no credibility. People in glass houses, etc.

Incessant misogyny... not to mention your other innumerable prejudices... I've never met a nice South African!

[video=youtube;fxEweP2TiMk] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk[/video]

Seekin' the truth on the dark corners of the internet, and bringing dunderheaded jack-a-ninnies to their knees...
The Truth Seeker
(you have nothing to fear but The Truth Seeker. Behave. Don't make me go on a forum-wide exposé. Who knows what I'll turf up?)

A degree in archeology would have made more sense, I would have thought.

Nice review, though.

Support act. Essentially Kristeen's replacement. And going by reviews, she's super...

Actually, now that someone has mentioned Julia.... I parked in the Gibson Hotel which is literally across the road from the 3Arena, and was walking down the car park escalator with my friend when I spied Julia coming up the opposite escalator, approaching a level that only has a cinema on it. This was around 5.20pm. She looked very sad and lonely and she noticed my glance and turned away slightly to avoid eye contact. I didn't make any attempt to say hello or anything like that, because why would I?
Anyway, it made me happy to have my amigo with me, and thankful for what I have. Maybe I caught her at a bad time but she looked lonely. It's none of my business, and just an observation on my behalf that could be way off the mark.

p.s. The songs Moz played from the new album were so good that he doesn't even need to play Smiths songs anymore. There were a few dolts in the crowd who were there mainly for Smiths songs but the vast majority seemed well happy to hear the new material. Myself included.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom