Dream support?

Mel_Torment

Dismember
Sounds like a thread about full-figured bras, huh?

So, what would your ideal bill look like?

I did a cursory search but could not find a thread about this already...

I think I'd rather just see Morrissey and no support bands, but I have seen some very good bands opening for him -- Phranc and Sack are my two faves.

I didn't originally like the Smoking Popes because their early releases underwhelmed me, but I warmed up to them with their Destination Failure release...and opening for Moz didn't hurt! ;)

In the mid-90s there were rumours that Echobelly and Sleeper (when they shared the label Mercury) were going to be support, but alas, these things never came to be.

Then there are some merely tolerable and even excruciatingly bad acts. I won't name the really bad ones except for a local Seattle group in this review I wrote in 2000 for the email discussion list:

I'm sure you've heard enough on Morrissey-solo how atrocious the opening band was for the Portland and Seattle shows. It was a band called Sigh. But "Groan" or "Gnashing of Teeth" would be more like it.

Since we had seen the Portland show we knew how bad they were going to be, and so I laughed to see all the people rushing down the aisle at the Paramount to get up front. Within the first song, throngs of repulsed fans came trudging back up the aisles. People all around us were screaming and hooting with uncontrollable laughter at how bad this opening band was. Too bad I missed the synchronized hip-swiveling and the karate kicks, but I was in the toilet. I fervently wished I had a video camera not only to record Morrissey's wonderful performances but to document how cheesy this opening band was!

I cannot adequately convey to you how horrible this band was. Even saying that the singers were like a cross between Alanis Morrisette and the Heart sisters is far too kind. I think the sisters must've given the promoter some wild blow-jobs because I cannot fathom how this band was picked to open for Morrissey. As (Moz fan) Xtine said, out of all the good bands in Seattle, how could there not be at least one available to do either the Portland or Seattle show? At least one more suitable or relevant to the genre of music Morrissey is associated!?

Shrinking Violet from Podunk Spokane were actually surprisingly tolerable. I hope you guys in the upcoming tour stops don't have to put up for much longer with whatever local yokel willing to suck off the concert promoter. We have good ideas for alternatives to finding a support act to kill 45 minutes: show film clips from Mozzer's fave films, show his videos, hire a comedian or the Jim Rose Freak Circus, a juggler, play that Mexican version of Bingo for small door prizes, double the intermission music...

I wonder if Moz took my suggestion about the film clips. Probably not because he didn't come up with the viddy clips until several years later...

Last edited:
My Dream Support would be Russell Brand. He has a wonderful live comedy show already developed, and of course he is already a big fan.
I truly don't think there is an appropriate musical act that fits in as an opener to our Moz.

I'd love to see Damien Dempsey support again, he's awesome. :)

Or, in honor of The Loop's return to the setlist, Tiger Army. That'd be sweet too. :D

My dream support would be Bon Jovi... just because they are making such a big deal about their BIG concert tonight around here that it would be fulfilling and pleasurable to see music priorities set right.

The Killers.

--jeniphir

though perhaps not an ideal choice per se, the pernice brothers come to mind. joe pernice's a fan (i assume, given that he did write an ode to meat is murder as part of the 33 1/3 series). he's also got a dry, biting sense of humor, not unlike morrissey. mind you, i estimate the odds of a pernice brothers/morrissey double bill ever happening at roughly 0.5 percent (give or take a tenth).

I wonder if Moz took my suggestion about the film clips. Probably not because he didn't come up with the viddy clips until several years later...

that was your idea? thanks a lot! :mad:

off the top of my head, The Cramps would be awesome. i know Moz is a fan, dunno how The Cramps feel about him...but if Morrissey followed them up with a "rockabilly" set (Loop, Certain People, King Leer, ect) it would make for a great show

Oh here's a "Dream support" act for you how about Modest Mouse!!! Hahahahah-----> In your dreams mozlover!;)

Thirded. I got a decent recording of him opening for Sinead on Wednesday. Anyone want it?

I'd definitely be psyched to get a copy of that if at all possible. I've been trying to find some good recordings of him for a while now.:D

By far, my favorite Moz opening act....and the only one who's album I continue to listen to.

Why not just a 1/2 hour or so set from Boz & the boys? I'm sure they're up for it, and I suspect the audience would enjoy it as well.

Thirded. I got a decent recording of him opening for Sinead on Wednesday. Anyone want it?

I'd love to:).

Why not just a 1/2 hour or so set from Boz & the boys? I'm sure they're up for it, and I suspect the audience would enjoy it as well.

Also a bloody wonderful idea, I'd love to see Boz live performing whatever he'd like. I demand a Boz Boorer tour Now!

A Great double bill IMHO Modest Mouse and Moz.

If Moz and Marr won't play together, at least the same night on the same stage would be a great second place treat for me.

Back
Top Bottom