Dream setlist

Yes, I loved hearing that one in San Diego ‘13, it sounded sublime, really.
Hate to disagree, Dot, but this sounds club-footed to me, compared with the original. The main hook of this song is the shimmering, pulsating, almost ethereal guitar riff that runs round in a loop through the whole song and drives it forward. Like so many of Boz's arrangements (at least in later years) they have gone for the crash-thump-strum, cobble-it-together-in-half-an-hour version and it's missing its intended spirit. I get that it must have been great to be there, just to hear him play it live, but to me its a poor effort.

Last edited:
An excellent version of That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore. I watched the Live 25 DVD again recently and was struck by how good the band were.

On the flip side of that, I heard I Keep Mine Hidden again today and was struck by how bad they were. :)

It's amazing thinking about it now just how many songs Morrissey has performed from throughout his career. I think it's more than 40 Smiths songs now which back in 1995, when you were happy just to hear Shoplifters, would have been unthinkable. Would certainly love to hear Well I Wonder though...

An excellent version of That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore. I watched the Live 25 DVD again recently and was struck by how good the band were.

On the flip side of that, I heard I Keep Mine Hidden again today and was struck by how bad they were. :)

It's amazing thinking about it now just how many songs Morrissey has performed from throughout his career. I think it's more than 40 Smiths songs now which back in 1995, when you were happy just to hear Shoplifters, would have been unthinkable. Would certainly love to hear Well I Wonder though...

In the name of all that is good and holy please never let this scattershot collection of half assed "musicians" touch the masterpiece of 'Well, I Wonder'. People constantly complain that if the Smiths get back together it might "ruin the legacy", but Morrissey is doing a fine job of that all on his own by letting these fools destroy those songs.

In the name of all that is good and holy please never let this scattershot collection of half assed "musicians" touch the masterpiece of 'Well, I Wonder'. People constantly complain that if the Smiths get back together it might "ruin the legacy", but Morrissey is doing a fine job of that all on his own by letting these fools destroy those songs.

And yet you remain...

I’m not writing up a whole dream setlist, but I definitely think “Nobody Loves Us” should make a return someday. I think that song is a masterpiece and I was somewhat surprised after checking setlist.fm the other day to see that it hasn’t been played in over 20 years! Far too long.
I'm sure he sung it at the meltdown festival

1. Our Frank
2. Black Eyed Susan
3. Heir Apparent
4. Drag The River
5. We'll Let You Know
6. Lost
7. The Operation
8. Nobody Loves Us
9. Nowhere Fast
10. Seasick,Yet Still Docked
11. End Of The Family Line
12. Spring-Heeled Jim
13. Speedway
14. Half A Person
15. The Headmaster Ritual

I’m not writing up a whole dream setlist, but I definitely think “Nobody Loves Us” should make a return someday. I think that song is a masterpiece and I was somewhat surprised after checking setlist.fm the other day to see that it hasn’t been played in over 20 years! Far too long.

I feel the same about "Sunny." Would love to see that emerge one day.

Rose Garden
Suedehead
Sunny
First of the Gang to Die
Late Night, Maudlin Street
Boxers
A Swallow On My Neck
*This Charming Man
Trouble Loves Me
Speedway
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
*Rubber Ring
Art-Hounds
Home is a Question Mark
Let Me Kiss You
Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself
You Have Killed Me
Everyday is Like Sunday
/*I Won't Share You
/Life is a Pigsty

UK tour setlist looks half decent to me, as I really like the new record, so If i was to dream a setlist that wouldnt look too out of place...

*The Smiths*

1: The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
2: Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage
3: Certain People I Know
4: Come Back To Camden
5: Spent The Day In Bed
6: Who Will Protect Us From The Police?
7: Ask*
8: My Love Life
9: When You Open Your Legs
10: These Things Take Time*
11: My Love I’d Do Anything For You
12: Panic*
14: A Swallow On My Neck
15: Everyday Is Like Sunday
16: A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours*
17: How Soon Is Now?*
18: Jack The Ripper
19: Isreal
——————————————-
20: Home Is A Question Mark
21: Suedehead

Just a fun list of my personal favourites, although as I'm sure we've all found in making one of these up: your favourites aren't necessarily the ones you'd like to hear live :) I'm in a band myself, and I think the mood of this works whilst giving a sense of career breadth? Idk - just some fun, innit ;)

Alsatian Cousin
The Boy Racer
Jacky's Only Happy When She's up on the Stage
The Last of the Famous International Playboys
I Want the One I Can't Have
When Last I Spoke to Carol
Christian Dior
We'll Let You Know
The Lazy Sunbathers
The National Front Disco
Death of a Disco Dancer
Oboe Concerto
Sister I'm a Poet
Girl Least Likely To
I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now
Reel around the Fountain
Why Don't You Find out for Yourself?
Well I Wonder
Now My Heart Is Full
First of the Gang to Die

/Southpaw
//I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday

I'd love to see an MTV Unplugged style performance. Simple, unadorned. No squelchy synths or clunky solos. Maybe a small horn section. Definitely strings.

I'd love to see an MTV Unplugged style performance. Simple, unadorned. No squelchy synths or clunky solos. Maybe a small horn section. Definitely strings.

What about an NPR Tiny Desk Concert? Could be really intriguing.

What about an NPR Tiny Desk Concert? Could be really intriguing.
I get the feeling he would just cram everyone in there with the usual setup. An acoustic/traditional set would end up incredibly moving I think. There's too much modern to his music, which as time moves on, makes it sound dated. Some of Quarry is downright silly sounding nowadays. I can only think of what I Wish You Lonely or Who Will Protect Us? will sound like in another few years.

Hairdresser on Fire
Hand in Glove
The Last of the Famous International Playboys
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Yes I am Blind
I have Forgiven Jesus
Suedehead
Tomorrow
Teenage Dad on His Estate
Stop me if you Think You’ve Heard this one Before
Alma Matters
All you Need is me
Spring Heeled Jim
Sing your Life
I will see you in Far off Places
Is it Really so Strange
The First of the Gang to Die
How Soon is Now
I Bury the Living
Sister I’m a Poet
November Spawned a Monster
The Headmaster Ritual

We Hate it when our friends become successful
Best friend on the payroll
Well I wonder
You have killed me
National Front Disco
My Life is an endless succession
I don't owe you anything

----

Hand in glove

But any time I dream of Morrissey, the setlist makes no sense and I don't know any of the songs, not to mention, something often keeps me from making it to the concert at all. It's ok though. Lately I've just been dreaming about some laughing naked guy. I wonder what that could be about?

But any time I dream of Morrissey, the setlist makes no sense and I don't know any of the songs, not to mention, something often keeps me from making it to the concert at all. It's ok though. Lately I've just been dreaming about some laughing naked guy. I wonder what that could be about?
I suspect you know who it is but you don't like what it means. :tiphat:

Back
Top Bottom