Downloading Vs. buying CDs?

Lonsdale71

I've got a huge collection of CDs. I tend to transfer most of them to my iTunes and then transfer the favourite ones to my iPod (which I often play via the stereo system - I've got Sony separates: CD player & amplifier). I normally keep a copy of the whole library in an external hard drive just in case the iTunes gets dodgy. But my CDs are the "ultimate" the back-up.

I am being really theoretical here but I have read somewhere that CDs only last for about 40/50+ years, after which they get corroded and simply stop playing.

Then again MP3s can easily disappear into a "black hole" if your PC/Mac gets a virus. Without a back-up, you've lost them all.

I did read a fairly bleak article recently where it said that a lot of the modern data (any data) will eventually be wiped out and it will vanish for good without a trace. OK, this will not happen during my or your lifetime, but eventually it will vanish because of the nature of it's electronic nature. Apparently the unknown viruses in the future might destroy the whole of the internet and cause it to stop working alltogether!

Maybe I've been reading too much "1984"?

Opinions?
:confused:

The thing about CDs is true to an extent. There were a good few albums a few years back that were starting to deteriorate, but I'm pretty sure it was limited to first-edition, mid-80's CDs. Apparently someone realised this problem pretty quick so the material they were printed on/treated with was suitably adapted. I seem to remember a lot of fuss being kicked up a few years ago about a Fleetwood Mac album, Brothers in Arms and Appetite for Destruction being susceptible to this deterioration. But as far as I'm aware any CD bought after about 1988 will outlast you.

I've got a huge collection of CDs. I tend to transfer most of them to my iTunes and then transfer the favourite ones to my iPod (which I often play via the stereo system - I've got Sony separates: CD player & amplifier). I normally keep a copy of the whole library in an external hard drive just in case the iTunes gets dodgy. But my CDs are the "ultimate" the back-up.

I am being really theoretical here but I have read somewhere that CDs only last for about 40/50+ years, after which they get corroded and simply stop playing.

Then again MP3s can easily disappear into a "black hole" if your PC/Mac gets a virus. Without a back-up, you've lost them all.

I did read a fairly bleak article recently where it said that a lot of the modern data (any data) will eventually be wiped out and it will vanish for good without a trace. OK, this will not happen during my or your lifetime, but eventually it will vanish because of the nature of it's electronic nature. Apparently the unknown viruses in the future might destroy the whole of the internet and cause it to stop working alltogether!

Maybe I've been reading too much "1984"?

Opinions?
:confused:

The thing about CDs is true to an extent. There were a good few albums a few years back that were starting to deteriorate, but I'm pretty sure it was limited to first-edition, mid-80's CDs. Apparently someone realised this problem pretty quick so the material they were printed on/treated with was suitably adapted. I seem to remember a lot of fuss being kicked up a few years ago about a Fleetwood Mac album, Brothers in Arms and Appetite for Destruction being susceptible to this deterioration. But as far as I'm aware any CD bought after about 1988 will outlast you.

My REM Green, bought on release in 1988, corroded and became unplayable by about 1993. That's the only one I've ever had go bad, and a couple of years ago I ripped all my CDs, dating back to 1988, to my hard drive, so I'm sure they were all sound as of then.

Multiple backups help, of course. One thing to consider is file formats. Who among us doesn't have a stack of 3.5" floppies somewhere with archaic files that now can't be opened (even if you could find a disk drive?) Be aware as standard file formats change that you may need to convert your files over.

Another very simple option is to just make a list. Make a list of all the music you own, and print it out and put it somewhere safe. There is almost no such thing as "out of print" now with downloads, so as long as you know what you had you will be able to replace it at a cost that will continue to decrease as time goes by.

One way to make a list is to pull up iTunes with all your music listed, then select all and copy to an excel doc. You can then print it.

It's not much of a problem really, you can buy Green for £3 these days. And it's worth much more than that! Saving all music to an external hard-drive is probably the best thing to do- wma and mp4 files seem to be here to stay as long as CDs have been. What with t'Ipod n all.

My REM Green, bought on release in 1988, corroded and became unplayable by about 1993. That's the only one I've ever had go bad, and a couple of years ago I ripped all my CDs, dating back to 1988, to my hard drive, so I'm sure they were all sound as of then.

Multiple backups help, of course. One thing to consider is file formats. Who among us doesn't have a stack of 3.5" floppies somewhere with archaic files that now can't be opened (even if you could find a disk drive?) Be aware as standard file formats change that you may need to convert your files over.

Another very simple option is to just make a list. Make a list of all the music you own, and print it out and put it somewhere safe. There is almost no such thing as "out of print" now with downloads, so as long as you know what you had you will be able to replace it at a cost that will continue to decrease as time goes by.

One way to make a list is to pull up iTunes with all your music listed, then select all and copy to an excel doc. You can then print it.

My CD's always get ruined.
Strictly downloads for me.
Unless someone sends me a CD. But it gets downloaded straight away.

Back
Top Bottom