• Start date
L

Let's Go Devils and Celtic

House panel approves copyright bill

By Declan McCullagh
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
http://news.com.com/2100-1028-5182898.html

Story last modified March 31, 2004, 4:55 PM PST

A House of Representatives panel has approved a sweeping new copyright bill that would boost penalties for peer-to-peer piracy and increase federal police powers against Internet copyright infringement.
The House Judiciary intellectual property subcommittee voted for the "Piracy Deterrence and Education Act" (PDEA) late Wednesday, overruling objections from a minority of members that it would unreasonably expand the FBI's powers to demand private information from Internet service providers.

The PDEA--the result of intense lobbying from large copyright holders over the past six months--has emerged as a kind of grab-bag that combines other proposals introduced in the past but not approved. One section that first surfaced last year punishes an Internet user who makes available $1,000 in copyrighted materials with prison terms of up to three years and fines of up to $250,000. If the PDEA became law, prosecutors would not have to prove that $1,000 in copyrighted materials were downloaded--they would need only to show that those files had been publicly accessible in a shared folder.

One part of the PDEA that did not appear in earlier bills would require the FBI to "facilitate the sharing" of information among Internet providers, copyright holders and police.

"I am sure (that its sponsor) does not mean to expand the powers of the FBI," Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif., said during the subcommittee hearing. "The concern I have is that this is very ambiguous. The language itself could lead an aggressive FBI to a different conclusion." Lofgren's attempt to amend the PDEA failed by a 4-14 vote.

Rep. Howard Berman, D-Calif., a PDEA supporter whose district abuts Hollywood, said that Lofgren's conclusions were unfounded. "They have been as passive as you can be," Berman said, referring to the FBI. "They have authority they don't exercise."

Although Congress has pressured the department to use the No Electronic Theft Act to jail file swappers, no such prosecutions have taken place so far. Earlier Wednesday, however, Attorney General John Ashcroft announced the creation of a task force on copyright violations.

The PDEA is an improved version of last year's legislation and will assist "federal law enforcement authorities in their efforts to investigate and prosecute intellectual property crimes," Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Tex., the subcommittee's chairman, said in his opening remarks. Smith said that the reworked version "clarifies and narrows the application of criminal copyright law to the worst P2P offenders."

Other sections of the PDEA would require Ashcroft to boost the number of antipiracy cops on the Justice Department's payroll, and order the U.S. Sentencing Commission to revisit prison term guidelines to make sure they reflect "the loss attributable to people broadly distributing copyrighted works over the Internet without authorization." The PDEA also combines parts of another of last year's proposals that bans unauthorized recording in movie theaters and includes harsh penalties if pre-release movies are swapped on peer-to-peer networks.

Gigi Sohn of Public Knowledge, a nonprofit group that agitates for fair use rights, said in a statement after Wednesday's vote that: "We hope the full Judiciary Committee will take a harder look at the change in the standard needed for prosecution of copyright infringement under this bill. The new standard created by the subcommittee could criminalize what is now lawful use of copyrighted materials."

At the same hearing, the House subcommittee also approved a bill that would increase criminal penalties for selling counterfeit labels that could go on CD-ROMs or software packages, and another bill to increase felony penalties for using false contact information when registering a domain name.

Stop threatening the users of this site with legal process. You are too dumb to be a lawyer.

f*** the house...Im sick to death of hearing about these greedy f***in lables who are bitching about "illegal downloading". they had a chnce to stop it years ago,and they didnt. Plus,did they ever stop and look at themselves in the mirror????? Maybe if they:

a> stopped charging f***in 20 bucks for some shit no one wants,that could help it????and stopped ripping off the f***in fans(those are the people who suffer the most). Nice way to alienate and piss off the same people who buy your artists records.

b>sued all the celebrity downloaders,that too would benefit them maybe.

c> stopped crying the blues because some shitty ass artists are crying because they cant buy their mansions and porsches. and get their f***in 3,000 a week facials and so on.

d> maybe the RIAA and anyone else who's having a problem with downloading...if they could grow some f***in balls and stop signing these f***in shittier than shitty bands who put out cd's with 1 MAYBE 2 songs that actually are worth a f***in shit,this wouldnt happen.

Dont feel bad for the labels people,they've been ripping off the fans for years,and when the fans decided to fire back,they get sued???????

Re: She wasnt...she was pointing out what dumbasses the RIAA and others are......

I dont feel bad for the labels...not at all......they're all f***in crooks. f*** 'em all...hey RIAA..if you're reading this now: 2 things

first:go f*** yourselves!!!!!!

second;I download music all the f***in time...whatcha gonna do?? sue the PIMP of the f***in nation????? c'mon down to corona,ca..i got something for your asses..... Try to sue me,you'll get laughed out of court. I download tons of songs every f***in week............what are you going to do,come after me?????? You cant do shit!!!!!!!!!

great. we have plenty of money to create a "task force" to prevent illegal downloads, but not enough money to hire a damn music teacher in Austin's elementary schools.

i'm not joking about this.

someone at work has been hitting us up repeatedly with fundraisers for their school. within 3 months, i've been asked to buy candy, magazines, and now, gift certificates from the local HEB and Hollywood Videos which promised a certain percentage of the profits to go towards the school.

i was floored when i got hit up with the latest one because frankly, i'm getting sick of being asked repeatedly to buy over priced candy and giftwrap only to turn around and be asked to buy gift cards (even if they are face value and i would completely get my money back in veggie burgers....it's still crazy to be asked to fork over money like this), so i asked what the score is.

apparently, this school doesn't have enough money in their budget to have a music teacher and a PE teacher so they PTA has taken it upon themselves to come up with all of these fundraisers so they can pay people in these roles!

oh my god! there are so many people out there right now who should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen!

Or.....we cant help out all these homeless people who need the money either???? not saying that all the homeless are that way because they have to be,but what about all these homeless vets who gave their f***in lives for this country and now that they all have some disease(s) from the past wars,they're discarded and left on the street and the govt shits on them??????

Nice f***in govt we have huh???? worry about some f***in douchebag label Pres not being able to buy a new f***in ferarri,but they dont give a shit about the school education system..or hiring/giving raises to more teachers??? the homeless?????

George dubya thinks he's doing a great job running the country??? go ahead folks...vote this dumbass into office again!!!!!!!

> worry about some f***in douchebag label Pres not being able to buy a new f***in ferarri,

LOL.

FFS You're not Your Re: Downloaders-Your going to jail!

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusic/mar31_cria-cp.html

How ironic.

No shit huh??? f***in RIAA...always crying about shit. Watch what comes out of this decision. I wish the US would do the same,block the names from being released. That wont happen,but you can damn well be sure that Dubya will spend every f***ing dollar we have to look for WMD (that dont exist). Did anyone bother to tell him this though??????

Besides,f*** 'em...I"ll go to jail over some shit like this.,.....Ill sue their f***in asses off after too.

Re: She wasnt...she was pointing out what dumbasses the RIAA and others are......

> I dont feel bad for the labels...not at all......they're all f***in
> crooks. f*** 'em all...hey RIAA..if you're reading this now: 2 things

> first:go f*** yourselves!!!!!!

> second;I download music all the f***in time...whatcha gonna do?? sue the
> PIMP of the f***in nation????? c'mon down to corona,ca..i got something
> for your asses..... Try to sue me,you'll get laughed out of court. I
> download tons of songs every f***in week............what are you going to
> do,come after me?????? You cant do shit!!!!!!!!!
Exactly, I feel badly for the person's who name in on the cable bill.
I can see the HEADLINE now!
Mr LGDAC was sued by the RIAA for downloading Pearl Jam, Eric Clapton, and Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom