Don't you think Johnny Marr...

skull

...has always shown a certain lack of respect for Morrissey solo work? I remember I have read somewhere that he isn't even curious to listen to an album of his because he exactly knows what to expect. I think this attitude is rather unrespectful of the man who once shared an important part of his artistic career.

I don't give a darn about what Johnny thinks about Morrissey's solo stuff.

Some of you may be interested in reading this

Last edited:
I'm sure it goes both ways..Do you seriously think Morrissey is listening to Electronic or Healers albums?

...has always shown a certain lack of respect for Morrissey solo work? I remember I have read somewhere that he isn't even curious to listen to an album of his because he exactly knows what to expect. I think this attitude is rather unrespectful of the man who once shared an important part of his artistic career.

yes, it's quite true. Marr has been extremely dismissive. you would have situations where Moz was collecting awards and saying how much he owed to Marr etc whilst Marr would be with that berk from New Order slagging off Moz solo work.

not too long ago, Marr was asked whether he preferred Moz or the singer from Joy Div, and he chose the latter. unbelievable.

Moz took the big risks in the post Smith era; working largely with little-known musicians. With only the occasional exception, Marr has just hopped from one established band to another...

Last edited:
i vaguely remember he refered to moz (back) then newest output "our frank" as "alf wank":lbf::eek:
true?

With only the occasional exception, Marr has just hopped from one established band to another...

I've always been under the impression regarding this that Marr seems to be the vagabond guitarist, that he never settles down perhaps because something in him can't, he has to keep trying new things or associating with new people, it's just who he is. Maybe cosmically he's forever unsettled. So something to keep into perspective is that Morrissey was just the first, it's not as though his master plan was to do great things with Morrissey and then betray him or whatever, the price being that Marr never establishes elsewhere like a curse. It's just who he is, quickly bored and not steadfastly loyal like Morrissey.

I've always been under the impression regarding this that Marr seems to be the vagabond guitarist, that he never settles down perhaps because something in him can't, he has to keep trying new things or associating with new people, it's just who he is. Maybe cosmically he's forever unsettled. So something to keep into perspective is that Morrissey was just the first, it's not as though his master plan was to do great things with Morrissey and then betray him or whatever, the price being that Marr never establishes elsewhere like a curse. It's just who he is, quickly bored and not steadfastly loyal like Morrissey.

What do you mean by that? Who is Moz loyal to?

I'm sure it goes both ways..Do you seriously think Morrissey is listening to Electronic or Healers albums?

I have to agree with you on this one. Like Morrissey will praise Johnny or any of them for anything musical they have done since the smiths. Doesn't seem likely to me. I don't hold anything against Johnny for a comment in which he prefers Ian C to Moz. He was being honest. Nothing wrong with that.

:highfive:
I have to agree with you on this one. Like Morrissey will praise Johnny or any of them for anything musical they have done since the smiths. Doesn't seem likely to me. I don't hold anything against Johnny for a comment in which he prefers Ian C to Moz. He was being honest. Nothing wrong with that.

You got me. Hard to answer and have it make sense, but he's loyal to his muse whom he writes his love songs for. Maybe he thought Johnny would be as loyal and join him in the hunt, but he's realistic, he's into things you can touch. Morrissey's loyal to an idea.

OMG that sounds lame but I think it's true. I'm going to take a presumptuous stab here, but you know how Morrissey won't allow the stench of meat at his concerts? Maybe a tiny, cuckoo part of him knows his muse won't haunt his stage if the smell of flesh lingers, that she or he will balk. Johnny probably thinks all that superstitious stuff is bullshit because he's realistic and Morrissey's a dreamer.

Maybe it is because he is jealous of the solo success that Morrissey has enjoyed since the breakup of The Smiths, and he wants to give the impression that he is not bothered and is over it. I wonder sometimes if he regrets his decision to leave The Smiths permanently rather than just taking a break for a while, which to be honest they could all have done with at the time. Sometimes he tries too hard NOT to care.

Boz,(17/19 years?)alot of musicians. Morrissey said in the MTV2 interview with Zane Lowe that it's his musician that move on as they want to try something new(new band, composing) and that's difficult for him so I guess he's loyal to them.

I can't recall him ever saying anything negitive about Johnny except when asked years ago about reforming the Smiths he replied why? when they all hate each other.
Morrissey praises him a great deal yet when he needed a mate(someone credible, who knew him well) on his side when he was called racist,to speak and dispell it all. (The song, You should have been nice to me, says it all)

They own each other nothing except respect. I think Johnny must have people constantly wanting to talk about Morrissey, it must be frustrating for him. At least him doesn't live in the past and milk it for all it's worth.

Maybe it is because he is jealous of the solo success that Morrissey has enjoyed since the breakup of The Smiths, and he wants to give the impression that he is not bothered and is over it. I wonder sometimes if he regrets his decision to leave The Smiths permanently rather than just taking a break for a while, which to be honest they could all have done with at the time. Sometimes he tries too hard NOT to care.

yes, I agree....so he goes from band to band. He seems like a nice person. according to Michael Eavis, Johnny up to reforming.

other way around?

johnny knocked on Morrissey's door remember.

yeah but when people mention Marr, they usually think of The SMiths and mainly Morrissey.

If it wasnt for The Smiths, Marr would just be another guitarist

Back
Top Bottom