Don't Call It A Comeback

Patrick!

And I watch Home Alone...
Is anyone here hopeful enough to think that maybe, just maybe, the man is just is a wilderness period not unlike his first time without a label between Maladjusted and Quarry?

Take some time off, write some bitchin new songs (scrap the ones you have right now srsly) and we'll see you in a few years with another career highlight. I know I'm not going anywhere.

Do bear in mind that some of us consider Quarry the worst piece of money-grubbing garbage he ever released.

Is anyone here hopeful enough to think that maybe, just maybe, the man is just is a wilderness period not unlike his first time without a label between Maladjusted and Quarry?

Take some time off, write some bitchin new songs (scrap the ones you have right now srsly) and we'll see you in a few years with another career highlight. I know I'm not going anywhere.

He's going to have to take his career seriously before he moves to the next album. Those last bunch of songs were truly bad. I believe he needs to lose the YOR sound and choose the music more carefully.

Do bear in mind that some of us consider Quarry the worst piece of money-grubbing garbage he ever released.

I'm inclined to say 90% of anything from Quarry onwards was a bit rubbish. Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted were classics compared to post 2003 albums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, like the mid-70s Elvis, he has toured inordinately in recent years (cancellations withstanding) and certainly needs to hang up the mic for a while and take some time off. He'll also need to embrace a musical shift of gear into a new direction that genuinely excites him. Perhaps there's a producer out there who could shake him up (imagine if Elvis had teamed up with Visconti and Bowie in 1976) sonically? Perhaps it's time to record his experimental Eno album, or dip a toe into verdant late-60s Scott Walker territory? Whatever, as aficionados of Dylan and Bowie know, one last late career renaissance is always possible.

I'm inclined to say 90% of anything from Quarry onwards was a bit rubbish. Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted were classics compared to post 2003 albums.

I'm more than inclined to say all three, ahem, "comeback" albums are indeed better than Southpaw and Maladjusted - and you can toss Kill Uncle in that pot too.

Thanks. We will bear it in mind - and get back to you in due course.

Well, like the mid-70s Elvis, he has toured inordinately in recent years (cancellations withstanding) and certainly needs to hang up the mic for a while and take some time off. He'll also need to embrace a musical shift of gear into a new direction that genuinely excites him. Perhaps there's a producer out there who could shake him up (imagine if Elvis had teamed up with Visconti and Bowie in 1976) sonically? Perhaps it's time to record his experimental Eno album, or dip a toe into verdant late-60s Scott Walker territory? Whatever, as aficionados of Dylan and Bowie know, one last late career renaissance is always possible.

I'm more than inclined to say all three, ahem, "comeback" albums are indeed better than Southpaw and Maladjusted - and you can toss Kill Uncle in that pot too.

Thanks. We will bear it in mind - and get back to you in due course.
Your point about what Moz needs to do is, I think, spot on.
However, I see little prospect of this happening.
He is not an artist who takes risks or is prepared to collaborate.
This is a mighty shame.

Your point about what Moz needs to do is, I think, spot on.
However, I see little prospect of this happening.
He is not an artist who takes risks or is prepared to collaborate.
This is a mighty shame.

My only mistake is I'm hoping.

However, the majority of us think its beautiful and brilliant.

More like Morrissey playing it safe. The music has aged terribly and the lyrics are too simple. Topics like The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores are terrible, anyone could easily sing about it. There's no heart or depth within that album and its a shame when The Smiths stuff and his earlier solo albums have personal meanings that people can also relate to. Can you relate to First Of The Gang or I Have Forgiven Jesus? I can't...I can't relate to anything Morrissey says or sings now.

So here's hoping for the autobiography and a new album :)

Last edited by a moderator:
More like Morrissey playing it safe. The music has aged terribly and the lyrics are too simple. Topics like The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores are terrible, anyone could easily sing about it. There's no heart or depth within that album and its a shame when The Smiths stuff and his earlier solo albums have personal meanings that people can also relate to. Can you relate to First Of The Gang or I Have Forgiven Jesus? I can't...I can't relate to anything Morrissey says or sings now.

I can relate to some of Quarry and some of the rest of his 21st Century ouevre. We all grow older. Stands to reason songs with universal/ youthful themes are easier to relate to. Can you relate to Vicar In A Tutu or Death At One's Elbow?

The B-sides still maketh a man eg My Life Is An Endless Succession Of People Saying Goodbye and the Never-Played Symphonies. Quite easy to compute imho

I can relate to what he sings about now so it’s just a matter of where we are in our lives and how we’ve grown with him and the way his lyrics are interpreted as they always have been. I think his later songs reflect his outlook on his life as he got older. If Kurt Cobain were alive do you think he would still be singing about teenage angst?

Back
Top Bottom