Donald Clarke: The game is up for Morrissey the reactionary - The Irish Times

How did we Smiths obsessives miss the signs in the 1980s. Because they were there

Excerpt:
"I was wrong about almost everything when I was young. Almost all young people are wrong about almost everything. Calm down. This is not one of those Irish Times columns that demonises a blameless generation. We’re demonising all generations.

Only old people have the proper perspective to tell that young people can’t get anything right. Only young people have the perspective to tell that old people are full of dung.

Warble the previous paragraph to a jangly sub-Byrds guitar. “I was wrong about everything when I was young. La dee dah!” If the tune is good you’re singing a Smiths song. If the tune is a dud you’re singing one of the endless neuralgic dirges that Morrissey has vomited up since the band split in the 12th century.

Apparently some reasonable, liberal people still regard Steven Patrick Morrissey as a hero. They didn’t recant when, in 2010, he referred to the Chinese as “a subspecies”. They waved away remarks made in 2007 concerning immigration. “The higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears,” he said."

A long article discussing Morrissey then and now. Echoing some of the views put recently in various threads.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
How interesting !

#Steve Barnett nothing to answer for
#Switzerland is mine
#Cheese-gate

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

An interesting concept - the game being up. In other respects, it looks like this could be his most successful album critically for 20 years (or longer) and commercially since Quarry...

Donald Clarke: The game is up for Morrissey the reactionary.

Excerpt:
"I was wrong about almost everything when I was young. Almost all young people are wrong about almost everything. Calm down. This is not one of those Irish Times columns that demonises a blameless generation. We’re demonising all generations.

Only old people have the proper perspective to tell that young people can’t get anything right. Only young people have the perspective to tell that old people are full of dung.

Warble the previous paragraph to a jangly sub-Byrds guitar. “I was wrong about everything when I was young. La dee dah!” If the tune is good you’re singing a Smiths song. If the tune is a dud you’re singing one of the endless neuralgic dirges that Morrissey has vomited up since the band split in the 12th century.

Apparently some reasonable, liberal people still regard Steven Patrick Morrissey as a hero. They didn’t recant when, in 2010, he referred to the Chinese as “a subspecies”. They waved away remarks made in 2007 concerning immigration. “The higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears,” he said."

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...is-up-for-morrissey-the-reactionary-1.3245598

A long article discussing Morrissey then and now. Echoing some of the views put recently in various threads.
Regards,
FWD.

The author of that article was the author/editor of The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music which came out in 1998. His entries on the Smiths and Morrissey were quite negative back then so not so surprising that he's jumping on the "Morrissey/Smiths sucks" bandwagon now.

The author of that article was the author/editor of The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music which came out in 1998. His entries on the Smiths and Morrissey were quite negative back then so not so surprising that he's jumping on the "Morrissey/Smiths sucks" bandwagon now.

Of course. That's the only possible explanation.

I am leaning towards Morrissey wanting to become so hated he has to end his career and that way he at least has an excuse why he did.

Expect years of interviews where he wears the victim cardigan.

I am leaning towards Morrissey wanting to become so hated he has to end his career and that way he at least has an excuse why he did.

And I shall release my book

Steven ! My Part In His Downfall by Benny :greatbritain::knife:

#all we are saying is the all young must fall in love is a rip off ! Of give peace a chance

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Offerkofta översätts inte vidare bra, du.

How did we Smiths obsessives miss the signs in the 1980s. Because they were there

Excerpt:

Regards,
FWD.

Donald Clarke - another DIM-WIT. Not even a WIT. But DIM certainly.

Hazard
x

So morrissey doesn't want a lot of immigration. Is that really a hangable offense these days. How dare we.

I thought it was a vulgar red pullover?

(I love the phrase "victim cardigan" by the way. It would make a great song title.)

Bald ponce. Empty headed tripe from someone who can barely write and is incapable of original thought. Dismissing everything Moz has done since The Smiths? Give me a break. It's hard to believe this guy is Irish. The 'standard' of journalism must be reaching an all time low. Now its just opinion pieces cranked out by people who never had the balls to try doing what they criticise.

So morrissey doesn't want a lot of immigration. Is that really a hangable offense these days. How dare we.

Agreed. No one wants to see the culture they love and grew up In change so much. If this is from the interview I think it's from there's also more said that makes him out to be more conflicted and more nuanced on the subject but it probably doesn't help this articles agenda and so isn't mentioned

the game is truly up for anybody with the name Donald.ps except for Donald duck.

I'm done with Morrisey. So is my wife and several of our friends. I doubt we are alone. The game is up I assure you. I've even stopped listening to the old stuff. Introducing intolerant politics into this forum is unfortunate because it reveals how bigoted lemming-like some Moz fans are.

the game is truly up for anybody with the name Donald.ps except for Donald duck.
Even he is just a bit player nowadays! Shoved into the background on the reincarnated Ducktales. (But it's work I suppose!)

Yeah, I have a kid. Does it show?

Bald ponce. Empty headed tripe from someone who can barely write and is incapable of original thought. Dismissing everything Moz has done since The Smiths? Give me a break. It's hard to believe this guy is Irish. The 'standard' of journalism must be reaching an all time low. Now its just opinion pieces cranked out by people who never had the balls to try doing what they criticise.

The Irish Times - not Irish.
Formed as a Protestant nationalist paper, within two decades and under new owners it had become the voice of Irish unionism.The editorship of the newspaper from 1859 until 1986 was controlled by the Anglo-Irish Protestant minority, only gaining its first (and only) nominal Irish Catholic editor 127 years into its existence.

Even he is just a bit player nowadays! Shoved into the background on the reincarnated Ducktales. (But it's work I suppose!)

Yeah, I have a kid. Does it show?
poor Donald I thought him and mickey were still the only show in town.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom