Dog on a Chain review in Record Collector - 2/5

For reasons best known to themselves, Record Collector got the world's #1 Morrissey-hating journalist to review the new album. David Quantocks, who I believe was even once sued by Morrissey and forced to write a grovelling apology, gives it 2/5. In all fairness, he does quote an appalling lyric about geese and a niece which I'm hoping he mis-heard or made up. Haven't bought the mag so can't scan and attach.

Scan provided by Famous when dead in the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spot on, like usual.
The skepticism about Quantick’s review, and the reasons he was selected as the reviewer, transcends the issue of the record. As the person you are supporting well knows.

Some would call Quantick a stranger to the truth. I would call him a f***ing malignant liar. Anyone who knows anything about Morrissey knows that Quantick has been on something of a crusade, against Morrissey, for many years. So ‘we’ might rightly also question the intentions of anyone (including the editors of the magazine, as much as people on here) who asks us to entertain the possibility that Quantick’s review is credible. It might just be that they are being poisonous c***s too. Imagine that!

This describes my experiences with the last couple of albums pretty accurately. I wouldn't be surprised if this fits the new one quiet well too ...

It is so obvious that your issue is not with racism but with Morrissey. You want to dress it up and that seems like a good way to do it. But if you weren't mentally ill you would spend your time doing something to bring about equality.
You're just masturbating on here every day and it's ridiculous.

I seriously want you to consider this. Imagine yourself talking to an unbiased professional about your activities on here. Can you imagine any scenario where they would tell you that your behavior is healthy and indicative of a rational and well balanced man?
In fact you would never do this because you KNOW how it would sound.

Best post on here for a long time!!
And don't forget, this 'man' is c.53 years old. Tragic.

Quantick has form; it is at best ‘odd’ to give him the LP to review. But more likely the editors knew exactly what they were going to get from this reviewer—and absolutely wanted it.

As I recall, his slanderous review in The Word magazine barely mentioned the album at all—it was Quantick’s opportunity to review Morrissey.

I was looking up The Word review. Nasty stuff. And nothing to do with the record.

Mad that you have all these middle-class, middle-aged, white, married, heterosexual, male hacks complaining that oddball loner Morrissey has betrayed the 'outsiders' that The Smiths supposedly existed to defend by failing to agree with The Chatterati on an issue that directly impacts Morrissey's life because He Is An Immigrant.

Moz is literally in the group Dave told him to be ashamed of discussing.

An early sign that identity politics was going to turn to shit.

Morrissey doesn't speak FOR outsiders, he is one, he speaks TO them. It's not a legacy that can be betrayed no matter how many Functioning People he upsets.

Viva Moz ❤

But of course 'Funny Man' David Quantick was the man who penned the 8/10 'rave' review of "Kill Uncle" for the 'NME' back in 1991.
Even Moz wouldn't have given it 8 by the time HMV put it out...
One of only 2 known celebratory assessments of this LP in all of Christendom. {Not counting my own}.

So, 'Funny Man' David Quantick can't be all bad. Can he?

But of course 'Funny Man' David Quantick was the man who penned the 8/10 'rave' review of "Kill Uncle" for the 'NME' back in 1991.
Even Moz wouldn't have given it 8 by the time HMV put it out...
One of only 2 known celebratory assessments of this LP in all of Christendom. {Not counting my own}.

So, 'Funny Man' David Quantick can't be all bad. Can he?

I'm not sure if that was his only concession...he slated Southpaw when it was released in 1995.
Nasty f***er.

Well.....he's pretty contrary on nationality and ere........"cultural identity". One minute he's like a British bulldog......the next he's saying we should give back the Falkland Islands.
You should give back the Falkland islands, he's right.

That’s completely true. But you’ll still say you love it no matter what.
No I won't. I'll say what I mean. But I'll wait a few days. When I first heard Quarry I didn't think it was great. Within a week I loved it. On day 1 I loved Refusal but a couple of weeks later I really didn't. Things need to bed in. The one thing I won't do is say I hate the album begore I even hear it.
By the way; I posted many times on this site that I'm disappointed with the new songs, although now I'm starting to really like Bobby.

Quantick is a deeply strange man, judging by his Facebook posts. And he's very much part of the London media set who have decided en masse that Morrissey is one of the western world's greatest evils, so betrayed do they feel by his turning away from their views. (Lauren Laverne, Caitlin Moran and her husband, etc...all of whom are genuinely nice people but are so deeply entrenched in their cosy middle-class London bubble nowadays that they even thought Jess Phillips would make the best Labour leader.)

Quantick is a deeply strange man, judging by his Facebook posts. And he's very much part of the London media set who have decided en masse that Morrissey is one of the western world's greatest evils, so betrayed do they feel by his turning away from their views. (Lauren Laverne, Caitlin Moran and her husband, etc...all of whom are genuinely nice people but are so deeply entrenched in their cosy middle-class London bubble nowadays that they even thought Jess Phillips would make the best Labour leader.)

Imagine that, a deeply strange man reviewing another deeply strange man!

He's not even turned away from their views, he's just talking about problems they'd rather pretend didn't exist & likes a crank party they've probably never even looked into or they wouldn't take it seriously.

He is really suffering the consequences of not hanging out in, or at least pandering to, that bubble. It's got a lot of reach & a lot of power, even when it's detached from reality & talking shit.

He's not even turned away from their views, he's just talking about problems they'd rather pretend didn't exist & likes a crank party they've probably never even looked into or they wouldn't take it seriously.

He is really suffering the consequences of not hanging out in, or at least pandering to, that bubble. It's got a lot of reach & a lot of power, even when it's detached from reality & talking shit.
It has a lot of reach and power everywhere, not least in higher education where critical engagement starts and ends with nihilistic deconstructions of the very foundations we stand on, as human subjects. Morrissey’s significance now stretches way, way, beyond the limits of music; the man is a sage.

Camus cautioned that we should be particularly wary of slaves appealing for equality, as the reality is they want to wear the crown. The ‘snowflake’ generation are such thieves; you can’t spend 15 minutes with them without them straying onto the issue of people they’d like silenced, incarcerated or killed. If Hitler wasn’t exactly from the left, that’s certainly where his popular momentum (!) came from; who was it who mentioned this?

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom