Dog on a Chain review in Record Collector - 2/5

For reasons best known to themselves, Record Collector got the world's #1 Morrissey-hating journalist to review the new album. David Quantocks, who I believe was even once sued by Morrissey and forced to write a grovelling apology, gives it 2/5. In all fairness, he does quote an appalling lyric about geese and a niece which I'm hoping he mis-heard or made up. Haven't bought the mag so can't scan and attach.

Scan provided by Famous when dead in the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody know whether he does or he doesn't? However if you bumped, into him and asked his views on Morrissey Solo, how do you think he would respond?

We don’t know.

If you feel that Morrissey has changed his political views, etc over the years.

Then it wouldn’t be such a stretch of the imagination that he also may have changed his views about solo (not saying he has) He may also not care if it exists or not.

I do find that some reviewers judge the album too much on the lyrics alone. Obviously they’re important, especially in Morrissey’s case but so are the vocal melodies and the music.

well in music and lyrical poetry the melody matters as it's married to the Words. Knockabout world may look slight on paper but when his voice waivers and wobbles as he says in this knockabout world as if he’s been hit and trying to regain balance well it’s affecting

I admire Quantick. He’s been involved in a lot of comedy shows I’ve enjoyed over the last 20 or so years. He’s entitled to his opinion, although the fact he’s reviewed the album is a little strange, given some of the history that’s already been touched on in this thread.
I only really know him from his many talking heads appearances on drivel like 'I love the 90s' etc. He comes across as perpetually smug and deeply annoying whilst looking a bit like a face transplant recipient staring at a pin.

The new album might not be up to much, but I would trust Skinny's reasoned and unbiased opinion over Quantick's.

We don’t know.

If you feel that Morrissey has changed his political views, etc over the years.

Then it wouldn’t be such a stretch of the imagination that he also may have changed his views about solo (not saying he has) He may also not care if it exists or not.

There's a handful of photographers knocking about this afternoon, wonder if we will see some pictures of him buying cakes for his mum again in the next few days?

I do find that some reviewers judge the album too much on the lyrics alone. Obviously they’re important, especially in Morrissey’s case but so are the vocal melodies and the music.
Yeah, but they're right up front in ways that some others artists' aren't - the way his voice is usually so prominent in the mix, his phrasing, his enunciation - so when they're shit it really shows. I quite liked Love is On Its Way Out until it got to that clunking elephants and lions bit, but it's just so in your face you can't ignore it. Plus there's his history of sublime lyrics, so long-term fans feel cheated when it feels like he can't be bothered.

I'm not a big fan of modern day Morrissey and have nothing against journalists writing critical reviews. John Harris's review of Quarry was spot on. But Quantocks is a genuinely ghastly human being. He's 60 odd years old but acts like someone whose trapped in time as a bitter, sarcastic, unfunny, deeply unpleasant adolescent. The sound of his voice is one if the ugliest things I've ever heard.

Yeah, but they're right up front in ways that some others artists' aren't - the way his voice is usually so prominent in the mix, his phrasing, his enunciation - so when they're shit it really shows. I quite liked Love is On Its Way Out until it got to that clunking elephants and lions bit, but it's just so in your face you can't ignore it. Plus there's his history of sublime lyrics, so long-term fans feel cheated when it feels like he can't be bothered.
I agree about the lyrics but in my opinion his vocal melodies are still very strong. And we’ve heard stories from Alain and Boz in the past about the involvement Moz has on the music, how he likes to rearrange things, asks for certain parts to be extended or shortened. I mean Wasn’t the music on Maladjusted based entirely on a 20 second outro on one of Boz’s efforts, which was the only part Moz liked. I just get the sense that a lot of these reviewers separate the music from the lyrics and barely pay attention to the vocal melodies. I just don’t think that’s a fair way to judge any album.

I agree about the lyrics but in my opinion his vocal melodies are still very strong. And we’ve heard stories from Alain and Boz in the past about the involvement Moz has on the music, how he likes to rearrange things, asks for certain parts to be extended or shortened. I mean Wasn’t the music on Maladjusted based entirely on a 20 second outro on one of Boz’s efforts, which was the only part Moz liked. I just get the sense that a lot of these reviewers separate the music from the lyrics and barely pay attention to the vocal melodies. I just don’t think that’s a fair way to judge any album.

It doesn’t matter how pretty you make bad lyrics sound...they’re still bad lyrics.

He used to be known for good, well thought lyrics. Why is it a surprise he’s judged harshly on his words after he’s declared himself a “poet” for so many years?

I thought it was an entirely reasonable review. Of course I haven't heard the album yet so I can't say whether or not I agree with it but I'll be sure to let you know what I think as and when I get a copy. I'm hoping it will be a good album but I'm not getting my hopes up, not based on what I've heard so far.
It’s only just a different opinion. Judging from the predictable wailing and gnashing of teeth on display, anyone would think it was the “End Of Days”, or something.
The reaction of some here only qualifies and validates it further. I read it, chuckled and moved on. Next, please!

On the contrary, it's a succinct review that more than adequately conveys the reviewer's dislike of the album. Do you have a problem with people expressing opinions that are counter to your own?
Quantick has form; it is at best ‘odd’ to give him the LP to review. But more likely the editors knew exactly what they were going to get from this reviewer—and absolutely wanted it.

As I recall, his slanderous review in The Word magazine barely mentioned the album at all—it was Quantick’s opportunity to review Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, probably fair enough the lyrics lately have been pretty bad on the whole. But lines like adding that Thelma Houston appears for "no good reason" just shows bias. Morrissey enjoys likes her, her voice sounds fantastic and it fits that track well ... to just say "no good reason" to something that glaringly has good reason is a lazy attack.

I mean, probably fair enough the lyrics lately have been pretty bad on the whole. But lines like adding that Thelma Houston appears for "no good reason" just shows bias. Morrissey enjoys likes her, her voice sounds fantastic and it fits that track well ... to just say "no good reason" to something that glaringly has good reason is a lazy attack.
It's a wonder he didn't claim that she was invited to sing on the song just to deflect racism accusations against Moz. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Love it when the usual goons turn up and slag off a REVIEW because it doesn't say what they like about something they HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD. But they LOVED the reviews of something they HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD when it concurred with their bias.

The actual three monkeys right there.
As usual you miss the point. The 'reviewer' obviously hates Moz, just like you do. The 'review' was a stamp sized sizzling shit. No insight, just his opinion. No analysis. I'm not that bothered because I can make up my own mind and don't need an illiterate lazy detractor to tell me what to think. I might love or hate or find the album middle of the road. I won't take any pleasure if the album is crap, and I'll be thrilled if it is great. That's the difference between you and me. You want Morrissey to fail. You want to convince people he is worthy of hate. Why bother?

I know. It’s like he outright forgets he’s reviewing music. She sounds good, they sound good together, that’s why she’s there. It was probably a fun duet

It doesn’t matter how pretty you make bad lyrics sound...they’re still bad lyrics.

He used to be known for good, well thought lyrics. Why is it a surprise he’s judged harshly on his words after he’s declared himself a “poet” for so many years?

Subjective.

Viva, he’s a poet.

:cool:

Liking all the people who cheered the other reviews not liking this one. You know, when you want the buying public to part with their money for something, you put it out there and some people like it, and some people don't. And now you're crying over it. Well boo hoo. Stop being vicariously upset about something you HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD YET.
Nazi

Subjective.

Viva, he’s a poet.

:cool:
Ket sun.... nice to watch you go f***ing mental for once, and for me to just sit back and enjoy!!! As it’s normally my job to attack the CABBAGE CREW... The runts that scrat through the reviews and rejoice about such things, well they must have something to cling to .... CABBAGE CREW, attack us now , yet another offer for the paupers to attack, and still you offer nothing....

Love it when the usual goons turn up and slag off a REVIEW because it doesn't say what they like about something they HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD. But they LOVED the reviews of something they HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD when it concurred with their bias.

The actual three monkeys right there.

Silly little man - three of the songs have already been released, and we've all had the chance to hear them. These songs haven't been particularly praised in any of the reviews. If anyone likes these songs, they're probably going to like the album.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review
Back
Top Bottom