Does this sound like Morrissey to you?

Well, not really. But I left a comment. We'll see if they post it.

My DH has an extremely Irish name and was singled out for extra interrogation entering the UK through Heathrow. He was 16 at the time. It was a school field trip.

Is it only OK for the UK to be racist and partial?

It's all a joke anyway- my three year old son is also on the watch list. He has a very common, Irish name.

That is funny. I'm tempted to believe he may have written it.

The main news story is sad. My sympathies are with the boy, of course, but I have to admit a small part of me is pleasantly shocked that airport security succeeded in red-flagging his name, even if it was a horrible mistake.

Sure checks are needed, but would the guy who was treated so badly want to go back knowing the kind of trouble he endured last time? Knowing they would be looking out for his name..

And doesn't hassling a child clearly not the one in question just make them look foolish.

I could have gone to the US this year with the offer of Moz tickets as bait. But I chose to stay at home, and a significant part of my decision is the intrusive, over-zealous and empty-headed "security" policy. How could anyone trust these people to apprehend the right person?

I don't know, i can't hear him:confused:

Airports are laughably blatant these days in the way that they expect a willing suspension of your human rights upon entry, using anti-terrorism as their excuse. The treatment meted out to Muslims at UK airports at the moment is disgusting, it makes me ashamed of a government I've campaigned in support of.

Here's a very interesting article by Marina Hyde from the Guardian a few weeks back on the same subject...

Coiff.

Sure checks are needed, but would the guy who was treated so badly want to go back knowing the kind of trouble he endured last time? Knowing they would be looking out for his name..

And doesn't hassling a child clearly not the one in question just make them look foolish.

I could have gone to the US this year with the offer of Moz tickets as bait. But I chose to stay at home, and a significant part of my decision is the intrusive, over-zealous and empty-headed "security" policy. How could anyone trust these people to apprehend the right person?

your silly:p, you should of gone. The security checks are also for your protection too!

i went to America this year...yep there was a lots of security checks getting on the flight and off. But it didn't take long and at both ends it was friendly and i knew if was for my safety as well.

this is one case out of thousands who fly back and forth the USA. Yes it was a kid, which is kind of stoopid.

But why is there all this security, because because a bunch of freaks hijacked planes and flew them into the world trade buildings and killed hundreds of people.

It's silly to limit yourself in some kind of misguided protest against security policies that were unforgivably lax to begin with. My first thought, nearly 6 years ago, was, "You're allowed to bring a box cutter on an airplane? WTF?"

We don't know the full story. The article indicated that the name had been used in fraudulent passports. That's a very specific reason to double check a child, rather than just, "Well, the name's on the list." Lots of names are on the list... yours might be too. Too bad. Now we get a tiny taste of the way Israelis have had to live and think for...how long now?

Or should we just let anyone on and mop up the mess afterward? Again.

And again... it's not like Britain hasn't been singling out people of specific ethnicities for a long time...my little scrawny white boy husband, a middle class kid from Chicago, was certainly not toting an IRA bomb secreted in his Walkman.

I can even top that... on that same trip, a scrawny little white girl from the suburbs of Chicago got extra interrogation when entering France. Why? Because she shared a last name with a family who had been on the wrong side of the French Revolution. Yes, the one in the 18th century. No, I am not kidding.

DuClos.

I just don't see how my human rights are being violated when I am asked to remove my shoes. I tend to save that classification for things like not being able to marry the consenting adult of my choice, or not being permitted to choose when and how to bear children. Big issues like that. Call me silly.

DuClos.

I just don't see how my human rights are being violated when I am asked to remove my shoes. I tend to save that classification for things like not being able to marry the consenting adult of my choice, or not being permitted to choose when and how to bear children. Big issues like that. Call me silly.

shhhhhhshshshshsh keep it down! you can't be saying things that and mentioning that name?

DuClos.

I don't know, I went through airport security yesterday and any number of human rights were being violated by the smell coming from some of the shoes that were being dropped on the conveyor belt...

Seriously, I'd much much much rather submit to basic screening than risk being blown to bits. How about if we set up two different classes of flights? Safe flights, and "all human dignity retained" flights. On the safe flights, people take their shoes off, let their bags be screened and maybe searched, and walk through metal detectors. On the others, you can just walk on board without any screening whatsoever, based on the "honor system" that you're not a terrorist and won't hurt anyone or say anything insensitive or offensive. Would any of you calling the current system fascist really fly on the latter type of flight? I sure as heck wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom